iz 3unit worth it??? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
meLoncoLLie said:
I want to do Ext 1 in yr 12...but my teacher's scaring me. She told me who I'll be competing against are those ultra smart people who go to elite private schools, who watch the ABC every night, who are extremely articulate and have equally nerdy professional parents.

Now the size of my self esteem is like a teaspoon.
I say try it. Your teacher is just trying to intimidate you out of doing EE1. Like, no-one in my class watches the ABC everynight. Who does?!?!

I'm sure you'll find after cruising the EE1 forums that we're really all not "ultra-smart people" who go to elite private schools... I for one go to a public school, and am Proud to be Public! Yay!

And besides, everyone here helps everyone else. Try it. If you're lost after 8 months you can always drop it. Otherwise, you might find you like it :)

fuckfoot

has no soul
HSC
meLoncoLLie said:
I'll be competing against are those ultra smart people who go to elite private schools, who watch the ABC every night
hahahhahaha

the only reason i watch the abc is to see the cartoons. oh my, that's funny.

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
hey guyz, i was just wandering if i should do 3u english, i actually got higher marks in ee1 than in advance. but wat worries me the most is the quantity that is involved in ee1. im scared i cant 10-12 pages in the HSC (i can only do 7-8 max). and my skool is doing revenge tragedy which is alright. so plz plz give me advice on whether to keep it ; how i can try and push my self to write at least 10 pages and additionally any notes on revenge tragedy.

thanks alot pplz....

HSC
N/A
I would say: "STOP STRESSING!"

I know it's weird but after working over the same thing for 2 years it all sort of clicks halfway through yr 12. Call me crazy, but at the beginning of the year I was only writing a few pages - by July, I could write 8 in an hour.

With the EE1 modules you get the opportunity to KNOW your texts as opposed to memorising facts and techniques like you do in Eng Adv. Once you really know something, you'll be able to write a lot about it. :)

And you know, your essay writing WILL improve. Unforunately for most people it doesn't seem to "click" until the few weeks before HSC Trials lol, but it does happen. You just have to have faith in yourself and keep trying :) And when in doubt, you can always post your essays here for critique or even send them over to me :) I'm only too happy to help!

J

jhakka

dawma88, you don't need to write pages and pages to have a good essay.

The question you should be asking yourself is not "Am I able to do this?" but rather "Do I want to do this?"

Your HSC should be about subjects that you enjoy and you want to do. Sure there are other aspects like scaling and assumed knowledge in uni or whatever, but the most important question is "Do I want to do this?"

If you want to do the course, then do it. If you think your essays are lacking (and I don't like saying this part), do practice essays to get your lengeth up, eliminate unecessary elements and work on your expression.

Although I said to practice for getting length up, I only mean this when telling you to think about addressing more points in the time limit. A concise essay is good, as it gets straight to the point, says what needs to be said and gets on with it.

Also, a long essay isn't a necessity. If you can almost fill up one writing booklet (7-8 pages) you should be alright. This, of course, depends on the size of your writing and how many lines you cross out, etc.

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
thanx for advice....but could u tell me whether to keep it.......additionally how can i push my self to write more ( the hsc is less than a year away!!!!) so plz give me tipsz

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
yes of course it is.
but you must enjoy what you're doing, otherwise why bother, you have to put in 2 u's worth of work for 1 u's credit. (advice from prev ext 1 student)

J

jhakka

I found, personally, that it's hardly 2 units worth of effort as it's only one module. Considering that, it's similar to Powerplay and Journeys in Advanced, where you need to study your own texts to see how an idea is explored. While you need to go into depth, you're studying only 6 or 7 texts compared to at least 15 in Advanced. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)