IT at UTS: Choosing between courses?! also Student Accomodation (1 Viewer)

Merclock

HSC
For a long time now I've been wanting to get into UTS for their excellent IT degrees (biggest IT nerd here, dream job is to work in the video game industry but want to be in the higher ups in management, lead developer etc) and I've been having some trouble with choosing what course I should do, I've been seriously considering the B. Business/B. Sc. IT double degree that they offer, even though its 6 years, would I be wrong in thinking that It would help me get into the management / executive roles in the software development industry faster than, say, just a normal B. Sc. It Professional Practise degree?

Also, since my dream job is in Video game design, would I be better off just picking the B. Sc. Games Development? Or would that narrow my employment opportunity and ability to move up faster / gain internships / extra curricular / work experience? If theres anybody here that goes to UTS IT that would help me out that would be incredible!!

! BONUS POINTS ! Is there anyone here who lives on campus, specifically UTS campuses? I deadset really wanna live on campus, just wondering what its like / realistic expectations :)

edit: just realised this should of been posted to the Uni forums :/

Last edited:

Demise

HSC
I'd like to contend with you for the biggest IT nerd here. Also, if you want to be a developer - go for Software Engineering. IT is for businesses, like networking, customer support, etc etc. Programming and software development - Soft Engineering.

B Science (Games Development) would be better IF there was employment in Australia for gaming, which there isn't. So instead, try a Bachelor of Science IT, but as I said, that's not programming based, just general systems based. Have you considered B Science (Computer Science) at UNSW/Sydney Uni?

Last edited:

Bobbo1

HSC
UTS is a great uni for all things engineering/IT related so I would definitely recommend it!

Merclock

HSC
@Demise we will Roshambo for the title! xD But anyways, yeah software development is really where I wanna be, I was hoping that after 6 years I could aim to be a software architect or something, I applied for the USyd and UTS courses on my UAC form but I was leaning towards UTS because even in their courses they say that for their B. Sc. IT courses, potential careers are programmers / software developers / system analysts etc and their majors are networking, analytics, enterprise development and something else :/

The USYD course would'nt be too bad either, I just don't know a lot of what it entails! :p

Demise

HSC
@Demise we will Roshambo for the title! xD But anyways, yeah software development is really where I wanna be, I was hoping that after 6 years I could aim to be a software architect or something, I applied for the USyd and UTS courses on my UAC form but I was leaning towards UTS because even in their courses they say that for their B. Sc. IT courses, potential careers are programmers / software developers / system analysts etc and their majors are networking, analytics, enterprise development and something else :/

The USYD course would'nt be too bad either, I just don't know a lot of what it entails! :p
Take a look at Computer Science in UNSW, you can do double majors (Computer Science / Games Design and Development) - Plus it's only 3 years. Furthermore, if you're really interested in games design and development, you could do a 5 year double degree - B Science (Comp Sci) Majoring in Games Design and Development / B Media Arts (3D Animation). That would be extremely good for what you need, since it's extremely open, so you could branch out into different things as well.

Memento-mori

HSC
B. Sci in Computer Science/ B. Media Arts @ UNSW has an ATAR of 82 and from the looks of it, is a great degree.... it will give you great fine art skills in the media area and computer engineering skills giving you alot of scope to work with. With all dream jobs, it takes years to build up to it, and the computer game industry is an overseas industry... or just a B.Sci (Computer) at UNSW. Plus, I think UNSW is better for accomodation- more college options. Attend INFO days for both courses and ask any questions you may have to the students and people in charge.

effylove

carpe vinum
HSC
I met an IT graduate from UTS last night who had graduated with the equivalent of a distinction wam

he was driving my taxi
and had only found decent (>$40k a year) work overseas

bbob134

HSC
For a long time now I've been wanting to get into UTS for their excellent IT degrees (biggest IT nerd here, dream job is to work in the video game industry but want to be in the higher ups in management, lead developer etc) and I've been having some trouble with choosing what course I should do, I've been seriously considering the B. Business/B. Sc. IT double degree that they offer, even though its 6 years, would I be wrong in thinking that It would help me get into the management / executive roles in the software development industry faster than, say, just a normal B. Sc. It Professional Practise degree?

Also, since my dream job is in Video game design, would I be better off just picking the B. Sc. Games Development? Or would that narrow my employment opportunity and ability to move up faster / gain internships / extra curricular / work experience? If theres anybody here that goes to UTS IT that would help me out that would be incredible!!

! BONUS POINTS ! Is there anyone here who lives on campus, specifically UTS campuses? I deadset really wanna live on campus, just wondering what its like / realistic expectations :)

edit: just realised this should of been posted to the Uni forums :/
Hey!
I go to uts, studying communications. My boyfriend studies B science In IT and really likes it. He's doing data analytics. He does his internship year next year :)

We both stay on campus.
so, quick lowdown:
Yura: most expensive, and smallest rooms! Close to uni, but really far from the shops, which is a pain.
Gumal: Rooms are a square shape, still pretty small, no ovens in apartments, common areas tiny.
Bulga: (where I am) biggest rooms! I have a king single bed, desk, filing cabinet, bedside table, the built in wardrobes, AND Digital piano! Best value for money. About five min walk to uni, and right next to the shops, so I just get groceries as I need them.
geegal is another residence, but its heaps smaller. Only 50 people, and its wayyy further from the shops and uni.

anyway, I hope that helps!
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)