Is western civilisation better than aboriginies of the past? (1 Viewer)

HSC
mrated96 said:
Khuram? Sweet, now i know your name. Sounds pretty rare. And fucking gay.

And your age

Im going to fuck you up buddy. watch out
You're threatening someone because you have their first name? You have to be the most stupid person here, and by Jesus that is a massive fucking achievement.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Groucho Marxist said:
You're threatening someone because you have their first name? You have to be the most stupid person here, and by Jesus that is a massive fucking achievement.
attention to my previous post

gibbo153 said:
above is not actually physically possible.

putting cxlxoxk on the positive side of a greater than symbol is like dividing by zero.

just can't happen.
you just indirectly caused cxlxoxk to be placed on a greater esteem level than someone else.

mrated96

higginsl
HSC
Groucho Marxist said:
I cannot believe how stupid you are. You just embarassed yourself pal

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
mrated96 said:
I cannot believe how stupid you are. You just embarassed yourself pal
"i know you are but what am i"

get out

sinophile

HSC
N/A
this topic =tl;dr

My answer: You can't judge another culture by standards of your own.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
sinophile said:
this topic =tl;dr

My answer: You can't judge another culture by standards of your own.
Sure you fucking can.

At the very least, human rights are not relative; you can't use "different culture nya" as an excuse for executing people who say things you don't like (e.g. China, Iran, Cuba).

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Trefoil said:
Sure you fucking can.

At the very least, human rights are not relative; you can't use "different culture nya" as an excuse for executing people who say things you don't like (e.g. China, Iran, Cuba).
Yeah you're right! Some things are universal. Killing people is accepted as 'bad' by almost everyone in the world.

But then again, you could consider these 'universal truths' to be part of a 'world culture' where all the cultures we know are subsets of it. Wouldn't you say that between all these cultures, they're incomparable?

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
sinophile said:
Yeah you're right! Some things are universal. Killing people is accepted as 'bad' by almost everyone in the world.

But then again, you could consider these 'universal truths' to be part of a 'world culture' where all the cultures we know are subsets of it. Wouldn't you say that between all these cultures, they're incomparable?
no.

gender equality is accepted as 'good' by only small minority of everyone in the world, yet it's still a superior value than culturally enforced sexism

impervious182

HSC
verdades said:
Aborigines > Western civilisation.

They didn't kill the land.
They also didn't kill each other off.
Hmm... wrong.

Firstly, Western civilisation hasn't 'killed' the land either. Also, Aboriginal culture, which was so 'sustainable' possibly led to the extinction of Australian Megafauna... yeah, real sustainable. What's more, there were less than a million of them, so they could hardly do much damage!

And secondly, they did kill each other off. In fact, many tribes would kill members of other tribes if they entered their territory and many 'tribes' themselves died out.

Trefoil said:
Sure you fucking can.

Yep... that's more like it.

Last edited:

coopert

HSC
I hate it when people talk them up like they were hell hardcore.

Yes, they were invaded. But so what? So was pretty much every single society throughout history.

It is accepted that 'Normal' societies grow, develop, innovate, and progress. Even if it takes thousands of years, they will eventually progress from Nomadic lifestyles, to Agricultural, to Industrial, etc.

While they did have somewhat of a 'legal system', and language; I doubt that this would have ever have been improved upon.

I think if Australia was never invaded, then the Aboriginal society would have just remained the exact same today as it was back then. I don't see how it would have moved forward in any way.

boris

Banned
HSC
coopert said:
I hate it when people talk them up like they were hell hardcore.

Yes, they were invaded. But so what? So was pretty much every single society throughout history.

It is accepted that 'Normal' societies grow, develop, innovate, and progress. Even if it takes thousands of years, they will eventually progress from Nomadic lifestyles, to Agricultural, to Industrial, etc.

While they did have somewhat of a 'legal system', and language; I doubt that this would have ever have been improved upon.

I think if Australia was never invaded, then the Aboriginal society would have just remained the exact same today as it was back then. I don't see how it would have moved forward in any way.
Haha good comment.

Also their 'legal system' consisted of spearing people in the thighs and shit

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
John Oliver said:
Where the fuck are these kids getting this cultural relativism shit from?
their progressive teachers

it's time to Make Education Fair

spyro14

HSC
People make it out like the Aboriginals had some perfect little utopia thing where nothing ever went wrong. If it's true that Aboriginals never fought, never stole, never had any mental cases doing bad things to young children then wow, maybe we should idolise and pray to them.

DaGizza

HSC
Haha the question is so silly because it is so vague. Every civilisation is better than another at something. If you like boomerangs and dreamtime stories you will believe Aboriginal culture > Western. If you like Opera and Shakespeare it will be vice versa. If you prefer stir fry noodles to spicy curry you will say ceteris paribus, Chinese civilisation is better than Indian. Somebody who practises yoga but hates tai-chi (again ceteris paribus) will favour the Indian civilisation ahead the Chinese.

So to get rid of the subjectivity, you have to what they are better at. Otherwise this is a bullshit thread. Every civilisation is beautiful in its own way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)