Is western civilisation better than aboriginies of the past? (1 Viewer)

cxlxoxk

HSC
Haha the question is so silly because it is so vague. Every civilisation is better than another at something. If you like boomerangs and dreamtime stories you will believe Aboriginal culture > Western. If you like Opera and Shakespeare it will be vice versa. If you prefer stir fry noodles to spicy curry you will say ceteris paribus, Chinese civilisation is better than Indian. Somebody who practises yoga but hates tai-chi (again ceteris paribus) will favour the Indian civilisation ahead the Chinese.

So to get rid of the subjectivity, you have to what they are better at. Otherwise this is a bullshit thread. Every civilisation is beautiful in its own way.
Cultural relativism for the win !1!!1!!!!!

georgefren

HSC
Not many civilisations eat their own faeces surprisingly. Mostly because its unhealthy.

and you really dont have as much say in the political system as, say, ancient greece where every citizen was DIRECTLY in control of legal, judicial ect decisions and every single citizen was consulted and took a vote on important matters like war instead of the gov take that decision for us (e.g. iraq)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Haha the question is so silly because it is so vague. Every civilisation is better than another at something. If you like boomerangs and dreamtime stories you will believe Aboriginal culture > Western. If you like Opera and Shakespeare it will be vice versa. If you prefer stir fry noodles to spicy curry you will say ceteris paribus, Chinese civilisation is better than Indian. Somebody who practises yoga but hates tai-chi (again ceteris paribus) will favour the Indian civilisation ahead the Chinese.

So to get rid of the subjectivity, you have to what they are better at. Otherwise this is a bullshit thread. Every civilisation is beautiful in its own way.
They're better at dying too. So is that another area where their civilisation is greater?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Not many civilisations eat their own faeces surprisingly. Mostly because its unhealthy.

and you really dont have as much say in the political system as, say, ancient greece where every citizen was DIRECTLY in control of legal, judicial ect decisions and every single citizen was consulted and took a vote on important matters like war instead of the gov take that decision for us (e.g. iraq)

Still better than the Aboriginal system of elders. Pretty much cos no-one likes the elderly.

DaGizza

HSC
Wow individual things don't make up for the fact that societies overall can be quantised and compared.

Cultural relativism is a course of intellectual dishonesty.

You're a brainwashed moron.

Western Society > * because we don't eat our own faeces and everyone can vote, basically.
Lol why so angry? You don't seem to like people disagreeing with you :p. The relationship goes both ways though. Intellectual elitism is an insult to cultural relativism and pluralism.

What makes you think that I am brainwashed anyway and by whom? FWIW I am strongly pro-democracy and not a fan of eating faeces haha! And yeah the West easily outclasses the Aboriginals in terms of their political structure. From my knowledge, most Aboriginal tribes are/were patriarchal and only run by 60+ year olds.

I'm not a utilitarian though.

Last edited:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Lol why so angry? You don't seem to like people disagreeing with you :p. The relationship goes both ways though. Intellectual elitism is an insult to cultural relativism and pluralism.

What makes you think that I am brainwashed anyway and by whom? FWIW I am strongly pro-democracy and not a fan of eating faeces haha! And yeah the West easily outclasses the Aboriginals in terms of their political structure. From my knowledge, most Aboriginal tribes are/were patriarchal and only run by 60+ year olds.

I'm not a utilitarian though.
Intellectual elitism is the only valid and genetically worthwhile form of discrimination, so cultural relativism can go screw itself, cos unless your society is striving for education and knowledge (which the Aboriginals weren't), it's a shit society.
And you know why you're pro-democracy? Cos it's the culmination of 8000 years of different political systems in various civilisations and has proven itself to be the best possible system and you have enough logic to recognise this. You know who didn't have enough logic to recognise this? The Aboriginals.

DaGizza

HSC
Intellectual elitism is the only valid and genetically worthwhile form of discrimination, so cultural relativism can go screw itself, cos unless your society is striving for education and knowledge (which the Aboriginals weren't), it's a shit society.
And you know why you're pro-democracy? Cos it's the culmination of 8000 years of different political systems in various civilisations and has proven itself to be the best possible system and you have enough logic to recognise this. You know who didn't have enough logic to recognise this? The Aboriginals.
Yeah I agree with you but I meant cultural relativism in a less radical way, as in respecting another person's preference in music, hobbies, religion/philosophical views, sports etc. I quote Voltaire: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

In fact such a cultural relativist society can only exist under a secular democracy, where everybody is educated to respect diversity and a change in values over time. Apart from these few exceptional notions which everybody needs to share, multiculturalism can thrive.

I still think mocking the Aboriginals inability to advance technologically and ethically is a little harsh. Even in the West, a true democracy where everybody is represented was only created in the 1960's. And yes I know that Aboriginals could have taken millenia to reach this point on their own and in other parts of the world (particularly among the Third-World) are far behind too. It is good to be proud that Australia is in the 21st century but not arrogant.

Last edited:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Yeah I agree with you but I meant cultural relativism in a less radical way, as in respecting another person's preference in music, hobbies, religion/philosophical views, sports etc. I quote Voltaire: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
That's not cultural relativism then. That's just cultural respect. I can still respect someone whilst acknowledging that I'm better than them in general, likewise they could do the same for me. Same goes for culture.

I still think mocking the Aboriginals inability to advance technologically and ethically is a little harsh. Even in the West, a true democracy where everybody is represented was only created in the 1960's. And yes I know that Aboriginals would have taken millenia to reach this point on their own and in other parts of the world (particularly among the Third-World) are far behind too. It is good to be proud that Australia is in the 21st century but not arrogant.
But that's another thing that makes our civilisation better. We have the ability to adapt and change our ideas, systems and society with the times. The Aboriginals, meanwhile, were stuck in a time warp and changed very little in the 20,000 years since they came to Australia.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Do you remember a time when women couldn't vote and certain folk weren't allowed on golf courses?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)