Is tutoring the secret to success HSC? (1 Viewer)

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
Both my tutors are hsc markers.. and have good experience.
Soooo expensive though
$140 a week on tutor just for me.
English - $80 an hour
Maths - $60 an hour (my tutor charges $80 an hour for 4 unit)

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
Oh and also i regret wasting money from tutoring.
You actually have to revise stuff for tutor. It wasn't until last term that i started realising how much it was costing my parents and how much money/effort they put into me just for good results..
So, you have to revise your work - or there's not much of a point in tutor

duckcowhybrid

HSC
You're spending $140 a week on Standard English and 2U Maths? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously if you need tutoring for English you should just go jump in a hole. Tutoring in general is a waste anyways. There are exceptions, but generally you can self teach iof you're motivated enough. You're not going to get tutoring in Uni for every fucking subject so you better get used to doing it yourself now.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Ahh but the difference is you'll be doing subjects you like in uni
Wish I did tutor for english

Also, wtf jesh you're in year 10

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Soooo expensive though
English - $80 an hour
yeh tutoring's a rip off, mines $100 a week for maths havent even got an english tutor yet :S. But people need them for different reasons, I go because my school was slow and i needed to get ahead, but you can go because you dont understand shit.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Hi!
I am currently in year 10. And seeing some of my friends are going nuts in studying with tutors and started wondering should I do the same.
First is that I am not very sure what I will be studying with tutors. so could someone tell me what is in it if you do go tutor?:p

Would it be better if I just buy HEAPS of books and study myself and throw whatever question I don't know to my school teachers?

Thanks!:)
Good luck with your HSC!
No.
It is a waste of money to go tutoring and I was proof that tutoring doesn't work because I outperformed friends and others around who actually wasted hours every week on tutoring.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
Soooo expensive though
English - $80 an hour
and your only in year 10?
seriously for std eng and 2u maths. also is this private?

Allisonius

HSC
I am lucky in that I go to a relatively small school.
Most of my classes have less than ten people in them, and so I get lots of one on one time with my teacher. If this is the case for you, then utilise the resources you already have (lol, we can count teachers as a resource).
Your teachers at school will be more than willing to help you with your work if you need extra assistance, it is what they are paid for after all.

I only suggest you get a tutor if your learning style does not suit that of your teacher's teaching style. Even still, tutors can be terribly expensive and there is no garuntee they are going to be able to assist you the way you need it.

Also I have actually found with subjects like Chemistry, Physics and Math, the tutors teach methods of working out differently to the class teachers do. One of the other girls in my Chemistry class goes to a tutor on a regular basis and he teaches things differently to our teacher, and so it often l;eads to her being confused.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Ahh but the difference is you'll be doing subjects you like in uni
Still fuckin hard though =p
I think that tutoring during the HSC will only really affect you later at uni if you utterly rely on it and do like zero self study, heaps of my friends at uni were tutored during the HSC and they're doing great.

chunG-li

HSC
Hi!
I am currently in year 10. And seeing some of my friends are going nuts in studying with tutors and started wondering should I do the same.
First is that I am not very sure what I will be studying with tutors. so could someone tell me what is in it if you do go tutor?:p

Would it be better if I just buy HEAPS of books and study myself and throw whatever question I don't know to my school teachers?

Thanks!:)
Good luck with your HSC!

hey im also in year 10, and i have been tutoring since i was in year 1 and i really think it depends on the person you are and the type of tutoring you get.. for example if you go to a coaching college, then you must have a really good memory because although they do teach you stuff at your level, they are usually 6 months or even more advanced and you have to be able to retain all the information for the future... if you're not that good at retaining info and you are having trouble with school work, you should opt for a private tutor..

im not sure whether you have previously had a tutor but it is as everyone has said, A LOT of work and committment. i think if you have the discipline to study yourself then consult all teachers for their advice and help.

Freckles14

HSC
For english it's quite essential, to have tutoring.
Completely disagree. If you absolutely suck at English and can't read or write or use grammar, then yeah you should get an English tutor. Otherwise just do the work - the English course is stuffed anyway so it's not like it'll make it any less stuffed for you to have extra work. You'd probably end up hating it more than everyone else.

You only need tutoring if:
A/ You have a really crap teacher and can't be bothered teaching yourself
B/ You don't understand your teacher and self teaching doesn't work
C/ You're lazy and need someone to force you to do work
D/ You're paranoid and want someone experienced to make sure you're learning everything correctly

Otherwise, you don't need a tutor :)
True. :)

Also tutoring might make you suck at teaching yourself things. Having never been tutored at all in any subject... it's working for me pretty well.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Soooo expensive though
English - $80 an hour
Holy shat.

Also tutoring might make you suck at teaching yourself things. Having never been tutored at all in any subject... it's working for me pretty well.
Yeah, i know a few people who can't understand a basic concept without someone explaining it to them >.>

Last edited:

smasherX21

HSC
If you need tutoring to do a subject, then it clearly shows your inability to achieve in that particular subject.

In before a bunch of james ruse kids who think they are 'intelligent' because they do 3 hours of tutoring a day.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
If you need tutoring to do a subject, then it clearly shows your inability to achieve in that particular subject.

In before a bunch of james ruse kids who think they are 'intelligent' because they do 3 hours of tutoring a day.
wth, people get tutoring for all kinds of reasons, not just because they're failing

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Noone really 'needs' tutoring I reckon, especially if you study for yourself and get everything.

However, it does help if you want to accelerate ahead of your peers in school and as a supplement if you want to do especially well in subjects such as mathematics. For example, tutors can teach you techniques often not taught in some schools.

Hope I helped.

hamm0ud

HSC
N/A
How naive do you have to be to think tutoring is the 'secret' to success? Don't get me wrong - tutoring is great, but it's hardly the be all and end all. Pure and simply, the secret to success in the HSC is hard work and consistency; whether that's through tutoring or self motivated study (or both) is entirely up to you. Tutoring definitely offers the advantage of extra guidance, however guidance that goes uncapitalised is virtually useless. If you're a student who lacks the motivation to study, tutoring is an excellent option - but ultimately it's up to you to ensure your efforts aren't in vain.

K

khorne

Nah, if you lack the motivation to do 1 decent year of study, which could _potentially_ alter your whole life, you deserve to be packing my shopping at woolies for the next 50 years.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Seriously if you need tutoring for English you should just go jump in a hole. Tutoring in general is a waste anyways. There are exceptions, but generally you can self teach iof you're motivated enough. You're not going to get tutoring in Uni for every fucking subject so you better get used to doing it yourself now.
Funny you say that, given you go to Ruse. :p

Hahahaha, gotta love the Ruse-bashers.

JJ_Lin

HSC
Protip 1: Your integral sucks, you're not integrating anything! You just have the upper and lower limits!

Protip2: You can self learn, tutoring is not the secret to success, but hard work is.

I don't even know what is intergral, I just like the little S symbol:mad1:
Why do you hate me for this?:mad1:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)