is time travel possible?(not including twins paradox) (1 Viewer)

blueduck

i dunno but i know exacty how fast im going
HSC
would that prove God? as the controller preventing us from scewing up our histories?

hmmm could be a very convincing arguement... but like i and so many people said before, u can only move forward in time not back, so it is merely a thought experiment (much like god)... but very intriguing concept indeed......

btw i failed in finding info on jonathon hartnett's analysis problem no 18 ...if anyone is in need on some procrastination i challenge u

00iCon

HSC
Should we STUDY something RELEVANT to the PHYSICS HSC COURSE?
Dude, that would be hilarious if we got a question on this XD

raniaaa

:)
HSC
hmmm could be a very convincing arguement... but like i and so many people said before, u can only move forward in time not back, so it is merely a thought experiment (much like god)... but very intriguing concept indeed......
does that mean once you go forward in time you can't return back? so you cease to exist in that previous time frame?

blueduck

HSC
does that mean once you go forward in time you can't return back? so you cease to exist in that previous time frame?
yes as to time travel forwards in time what you are essentially doing is goin so fast that u experience time at a slower rate than everyone out side of your frame of reference so that when eventually u decide to slow down and go at the same speed as people out side of ur frame of ref they will say that more time has passed by... this is part of einstein's special theory of relativty... in reality u haven't really "time travelled" i.e. jumped to a different time frame as happens in back to the future....u have just experienced time at a slower rate

apologies for rambling... i did phys study this morin... damn knowledge really stuck in there good

Last edited:

rorycole92

HSC
If timetravel (into the past) is possible and our present is another dimension/universes past, then wouldn't the people from the "future" have traveled back to us already, as they would have achieved the time travel that we might one day achieve?
Just a thought....

raniaaa

:)
HSC
yes as to time travel forwards in time what you are essentially doing is goin so fast that u experience time at a slower rate than everyone out side of your frame of reference so that when eventually u decide to slow down and go at the same speed as people out side of ur frame of ref they will say that more time has passed by... this is part of einstein's special theory of relativty... in reality u haven't really "time travelled" i.e. jumped to a different time frame as happens in back to the future....u have just experienced time at a slower rate

apologies for rambling... i did phys study this morin... damn knowledge really stuck in there good
yeah but for this to happen we'd need to be travelling at relativistic speeds, which means massive g forces, which means our bodies would explode, so unless humans evolve drastically in the future i don't see time travelling happening.

untouchablecuz

HSC
i once punched someone at relativistic speeds

didn't see my hand for weeks

blueduck

HSC
yeah but for this to happen we'd need to be travelling at relativistic speeds, which means massive g forces, which means our bodies would explode, so unless humans evolve drastically in the future i don't see time travelling happening.
g-forces occur when u are accelerating so if u employed a muti stage system over a long period of time with a hell of a lot of fuel then it is possble to reach the required speed but like sikhman said the point is that we dont have this technology yet

Last edited:

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
If we say the future is not yet determined, that it isnt a realm which already exists i.e. it is a realm of unrealised possibility. Then if we were to time travel to the past one must have already existed in the future which by this stance, he/she doesn't exist. Maybe if we took a view with a real and definite future? But then how can one exist both before and after one is born. Also then the issue of causal loops and the butterfly effect is raised. If some time travel machine was made then as it would begin to move back in time, it must surely collide with its forward travelling self. Then there's the quantam interpretations which i'll leave for another time

rorycole92

HSC
I once punched somebody... Now my hand is broken and my HSC is Fucked

blueduck

HSC
If we say the future is not yet determined, that it isnt a realm which already exists i.e. it is a realm of unrealised possibility. Then if we were to time travel to the past one must have already existed in the future which by this stance, he/she doesn't exist. Maybe if we took a view with a real and definite future? But then how can one exist both before and after one is born. Also then the issue of causal loops and the butterfly effect is raised. If some time travel machine was made then as it would begin to move back in time, it must surely collide with its forward travelling self. Then there's the quantam interpretations which i'll leave for another time
yes yes very nice but if people wish to post stuff such as "what if we could travel back in time and then did this.... omg it would totally fuck everything up!"...please explain how one could travel back in time prior to eleborating on how it would mess stuff up

emmatheron

HSC
Think of it this way. If we could travel into the past or, if at some point in the future, we could travel into the past, then we would be encountering time travel tourists, wouldn't we?
u never know... how do some investors make all the right moves, spending their life savings on a dodgy company

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
^^ lol

I'm still very wary of this implication of fatalism tho...
As am I. I believe the universe conspiring to prevent you from being able to kill someone in the past is more plausible than being able travel back in time and kill because it'd just be too complicated XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)