Is this unfair/cheating (1 Viewer)

hannahcheeseman

HSC
There is some logic in the system tho. I mean there are so many people who do take mornings off to study. Understandably you didn't but to say that just because your an honest student you shouldn't be given a zero when that is what the rule is then I think thats a bit unreasonable. I dont' know if they spell that rule out to you at your school but for us we have known from the beginning of year 11 that if we take a day off we have to get a doctors certificate and present it the next day. It's a Board of Studies rule so trying to sway a principal won't really work.

Not trying to be rude or anything its just see it from the other side. There are people in my grade who will take days off as well as the morning of an assessment and its obvious they haven't been sick just home studying and then they do well. Thats unfair for the rest of us who have followed the rules. Its pretty simple: If your sick get a doctors certificate, if you can't be bothered then suck it up.

Last edited:

ashllis91

Banned
HSC
Is your principal a doctor? Most likely not. How then can he authoritatively say that your certificate is not legitimate? Has he been to university for 6 years to study the nature of the human body and disease? No. Therefore he is not qualified to say whether or not the certificate has any value. As you weren't studying I don't believe that you were cheating. Personally I think that the fact that you made the effort to come in even when you were sick rather than staying at home and getting a doctors certificate to do it the next day proves your honesty and integrity.

ashllis91

Banned
HSC
Good luck, I hope you get the marks. Losing 20% of your assessment would really hurt your marks and the schools average (especially if your actual mark in the test was good). Perhaps the principal should consider that.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
At our school, you'd be punished as well, unless you brought in a valid doctor's certificate. But getting 0 is a bit harsh - the rule at our school is 5% per period missed. Although that's the week leading up to the exam period, because we don't have classes during exam periods.

yummy-cookies

HSC
Its a really unfair policy in general - but what you did is actually considered cheating by the BOS and you did admit you took off the time to study, although you were sick as well. You must go to a very strict school though, seeing heaps of people do the same thing at my school and get away with it. Its harsh that your getting zero just for missing a few periods in the morning, but your principal is allowed to do so.

Get your parents to complain! Surely it isn't worth zero!

jules.09

HSC
hey everyone,

i personally think it is very unfair, as i am a very honest and well loved student by all teachers. most teachers support my cause.

the prinicpal was going on about how it is cheating and stuff. so is it really cheating???
I don't think your disposition/character "i am a very honest and well loved student by all teachers" speaks volumes in this circumstance..

I agree with Tully B. It is cheating, according to the rules dictated by the Board of Studies and my school as far as I'm concerned. I'm in disbelief that you weren't aware of your own school's policies?

Next time, if you're sick, inform the school that morning via phone, get a doctor's certificate and stay at home on the day of the exam to recover. If you choose to turn up and attempt the exam, that's also fine but may not be to your advantage.To take the morning off when other classes are scheduled, is not permitted.

Anyway, all the best; good luck! :).

cassiecocaine

HSC
To be perfectly honest, I have never heard of anything like this happening; I thought it was always allowed. People at my school do it before practically every exam/assessment task. I've even done it a few times, and the teachers know. How odd...

cassieagill

HSC
its allowed at my school...we do it all the time (the teachers just say if we are going to skip to let them know so they can give us the work and so they know where we are...however this is only acceptable if we are studying for SACs) but i suppose if at your school there is a school policy about not doing it then yes it is cheating, and if you had prior knowledge about this policy you should have gotten a medical certificate, but if they have not clearly communicated this policy to you then fight tooth and nails for your mark.

also we must have 90% attendance at our school or they consider not letting us have our enter...so we obviously can't skip all the time :(

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)