Is this unfair/cheating (1 Viewer)

newbee

HSC
hey everyone,

this is my first time on the bored of studies, so i hope i am doing this right.

i go to a all girls school, and we had a 4 unit maths exam previously worth 20%.

i had a really bad headache the night before the exam so i couldn't study much, but in the morning i was really nervous and stressed out that i would fail the exam because i would not perform to my full potential.

i decided to stay home and study and then go to school for my exam which was on period 3. i did not get much done because i still had a very bad headache.

anyways i get the exam over and done with, then after three days, the principal calls me up and tells me that i am getting a zero.

Do you guy's think this is a fair or unfair call.

i personally think it is very unfair, as i am a very honest and well loved student by all teachers. most teachers support my cause.

the prinicpal was going on about how it is cheating and stuff. so is it really cheating???

thanks heaps guy's

bmn

HSC
IMO it can't be seen as cheating... Others could of had frees then (if you school has them), or even studied in other classes...

K

khorne

Not cheating really...As long as you got a doctors cert. it's fine I think. Otherwise, I don't think you should get a zero, as all you really did, at best, is wag the first two periods.

0hNivlek

HSC
According to my school's assessment policy, we're not allowed to come late on the day of an assessment (unless you provide a legit reason/doctors certiciate). The only exception is for those who have free periods lol.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
You did not cheat. Your principal appears to be an apathetic tool.

Try and get a doctor's certificate, if not then get your mum in to complain to your teacher or something - you do not deserve a 0.

newbee

HSC
yeah i told him that i would get a doctor's certificate but he said its too late to get one, because he thinks my doctor is not legit if he does such a thing. otherwise i am going to argue that people did study during their classes as well as people who took the day before off. wouldn't that also be classified as cheating then?

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
Some guy at my school did that for our module 1 chem exam, it was on period 6 (which is at about 2:35pm) and the guy comes 2 mins before it. he got away with it, but it didnt really matter for us because he got a crap mark anyway :D

lychnobity

HSC
There's a similar situation at my school. They intentionally skipped 3 periods to study for 4u. On technicalities, they "cheated" as they were given nearly an extra day to study while the others were occupied with their other subjects.

It's Board of Studies assessment task rules that no student is to be given an advantage over the others.

I personally don't endorse this view, but it's their rules. You have to use their rules to beat them.

yeah i told him that i would get a doctor's certificate but he said its too late to get one, because he thinks my doctor is not legit if he does such a thing. otherwise i am going to argue that people did study during their classes as well as people who took the day before off. wouldn't that also be classified as cheating then?
Yes, that would constitute cheating, but you're implicating too many people and you do not have any solid proof. If anything, it's an opening to dismiss your case.

From their view it looks like this: you're being accused of cheating, and now you're trying to "normalize" it by saying everyone else does it?

Arguing that would in no way, help you. It doesn't make the issue any better. I strongly advise you to build your case on stronger evidence and points.

allira92

HSC
i dont think thats cheating, one of my friends was sick on the day of her maths ex1 exam which was p6 so she had the day off and came in just for the exam. you could argue i guess that u would have prob had the day off anyway because u werent feeling do well...

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
At my school we need a medical certificate if we're sick on the day before the test, let alone on it.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
My school wouldn't discriminate on the basis of this... I'm allowed whole days off school before the big Year 12 exams and large assessments all because it's acclerated. You have a shit principal xD

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
like everyone in my school takes the day off before a big exam, eg mx2 or something, so they don't really care about the day before, but they make all our exams first period so noone can do that. i don't think it's cheating, but your principal is potentially justified in saying that you need a doctor's certificate if that's your school's assessment policy. you should have been given a copy at the beginning of the hsc year.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Well, strictly speaking, it is cheating. Under Board of Studies assessment task rules, it's as bad as bringing notes into the exam. In many cases, that is fair, as often people try to wag school up until the exam which. I'm not saying that you deserve punishment, but you can't really blame the principle for following BOS guidelines.

If you had gotten a doctors certificate earlier, everything would be fine, however what kind of medical certificate could you get now? Do you still have the headache? If not, the principle's right in saying that a doctor would not be legit if they gave you a medical certificate just because you said you had a headache a couple of days ago.

Sorry, not trying to be an arse. Good luck in any case...

HSC
hey everyone,

this is my first time on the bored of studies, so i hope i am doing this right.

i go to a all girls school, and we had a 4 unit maths exam previously worth 20%.

i had a really bad headache the night before the exam so i couldn't study much, but in the morning i was really nervous and stressed out that i would fail the exam because i would not perform to my full potential.

i decided to stay home and study and then go to school for my exam which was on period 3. i did not get much done because i still had a very bad headache.

anyways i get the exam over and done with, then after three days, the principal calls me up and tells me that i am getting a zero.

Do you guy's think this is a fair or unfair call.

i personally think it is very unfair, as i am a very honest and well loved student by all teachers. most teachers support my cause.

the prinicpal was going on about how it is cheating and stuff. so is it really cheating???

thanks heaps guy's
Lol I took a day off from my 4u exam too. Ended up coming 1st.

Smithereens

HSC
The punishment provided for this seems a little bit excessive.

Cheating, or malpractice, is dishonest behaviour by a student that gives them an unfair advantage over others. Most students understand what cheating in an examination means, but there are other types of behaviour that are also considered cheating.

Here are some examples of behaviour considered to be cheating:

* copying, buying, stealing or borrowing someone else's work in part or in whole, and presenting it as their own
* using material directly from books, journals, CDs or the internet without acknowledging the source
* submitting work that contains a large contribution from another person, such as a parent, coach or subject expert, that is not acknowledged
* paying someone to write or prepare material that is associated with a task, such as process diaries, logs and journals.
It really depends on whether or not this was a breach of school assessment or Board of Studies rules. Within all the regulations provided by the Board, no where does it explicitly state that jigging to study would constitute malpractice.

Its just that the statement of 'Cheating, or malpractice, is dishonest behaviour by a student that gives them an unfair advantage over others.' is the tricky part, and something that is certainly questionable. In some cases of malpractice, the onus is on you to prove that your actions did not constitute malpractice.

Students be informed of the policies of the school and Board of Studies in relation to assessment
I guess you could try to argue that because this might have been a breach of school assessment policies, you were not made clearly aware of what the rule was in the first place. Sure, you would know that jigging is something not tolerated, but that jigging to study constitutes malpractice is something that is a tad shady (imo).

TBK11

HSC
lols i do this sometimes, for my maths exam which was period 4 i came to school at 11.43am 2mins before period 4 started and did the exam they never said anything nor do they ask i dont see it as cheating at all.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
I live with a GP (my dad)... and he says there is NOTHING more frustrating for them than having to do a consultation to fill in a medical certificate when bed rest is all that's required. Medical certificates are generally the most fucking pointless pieces of crap.

You see a doctor when you're getting sick not when you're really sick...
You see a doctor like once every six months for a general check-up...
You see a doctor if you get sick and it takes way too long to get better...

Seeing a doctor for a headache is a waste of your and the goverments money and the doctors time.

Tell your principle that.

Tell your principle that your parents can vouch for the fact you were in bed.

Or go and get a medical certificate anyways, and if the Principal doesn't accept it, tell him to call the GP to see if it's legit, or get him to send you to the same doctor that he goes to.

Dumbledore

HSC
lol reminds me of the time i skipped sport before school for my first 4u exam, i didn't lose marks but i got a 2 hour detention.

too OP's question; i agree with everyone above me, youi shouldn't lose marks for it.
if they insist that you cheated, try negotiate and say lose like 10% marks cause late assements lose like 20% per day so 2 periods should definitely not be worth 100% of ur marks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)