• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is this part of the 2u course? (1 Viewer)

nekobutterfly

HSC
In my maths textbook there is two rule which are the seconf simpson rule and the second trapazoidal rule, the ones that are used for multiple subintervals, but a teacher commented that they are not part of the 2u course and in a 2u summary booklet of all the 2u formulas we need to learn it was not there either, anyone who if it is actually part of the course?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
:rolleyes:
nekobutterfly said:
In my maths textbook there is two rule which are the seconf simpson rule and the second trapazoidal rule, the ones that are used for multiple subintervals, but a teacher commented that they are not part of the 2u course and in a 2u summary booklet of all the 2u formulas we need to learn it was not there either, anyone who if it is actually part of the course?
HSC Syllabus said:
11. Integration
��* 11.1 The definite integral.
��* 11.2 The relation between the integral and the primitive function.
��* 11.3 Approximate methods: trapezoidal rule and Simpson’s rule.
11.4 Applications of integration: areas and volumes of solids of revolution.
E 11.5 Methods of integration, including reduction to standard forms by very
simple substitutions.
Your screwed if you have a teacher who doesn't even know the bloody syllabus. http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/maths23u_syl.pdf
Refer to pages 5 and 14 you might even want to show your teacher!!! :rolleyes:

Edit: Don't really on summary books stick to proper 2U textbooks.

Last edited:
HSC
Yeah Im pretty sure they are part of the course cause they can come up in hsc exams.
i dont worry about remembering the 1st rule anyway, because the 2nd rule works for all of them, so i just remember them.

PC

HSC
N/A
What are the formulas?

You can do all the simpson's rule or trapezoidal rule questions without using a formula at all. Use a table instead. It's much neater and easier to do and remember.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
tacogym27101990 said:
i dont worry about remembering the 1st rule anyway, because the 2nd rule works for all of them, so i just remember them.
Wrong, 2nd Rule doesnt work with 3 function values ONLY.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
PC said:
You can do all the simpson's rule or trapezoidal rule questions without using a formula at all. Use a table instead. It's much neater and easier to do and remember.
lol, you clearly have no idea.

After you put the values in the table, You use simpsons rule / trapezoidal rule....

Edit: lol

nekobutterfly

HSC
It turns out that one of the rulesi n my textbook you do nit need to know and that there is a simpler way of doing the trapezoidal and the first simpson rule so that they cover everything. You only have to do it to 5 functions but my textbook goes to 9 which is stupid as it is not part of the 2 unit syllabis

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Lmao, are you trying to say that the syllabus states that you only have to be able to apply simpson's rule and the trapezoidal rule for functions using only up to 5 function values? You must be mistaken, lolz.

I would check the syllabus but I can't really be bothered.

nekobutterfly

HSC
Mark576 said:
Lmao, are you trying to say that the syllabus states that you only have to be able to apply simpson's rule and the trapezoidal rule for functions using only up to 5 function values? You must be mistaken, lolz.

I would check the syllabus but I can't really be bothered.
actually if you check all the two unit hsc exams it doesn't go past 5 functions

HSC
check the syllabus just to be sure, but really once you know up to five you know them all. if they tested on more then its just more tedious and will take longer to answer and would be a waste in an exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)