Is this bullimic? (1 Viewer)

fliick

HSC
N/A
I caught my sister 'chewing and spitting', and she is adamant she doesn't have a problem.

As far as I know, she doesn't 'purge', but I've caught her on numerous occaisions eating my food and spitting it into a bin.

Does this qualify as bullimic? She seems normal and healthy, but this irks me, so I want her to stop. Should I shrink her?

(+) caught her 4 times in the last year. Blue moon thing.

Last edited:

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Yuh, spit and chew is a popular tactic for bulimics and anorexics.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
While it seems like an issue, if I were you I wouldn't bring it up with your parents.

If it's really worrying you, I'd bring it up with her, but bring it up in a calm way. If she really does have a problem, chances are she'll become really upset & defensive if you confront her about it.
Bring it up with her directly, when your parents aren't around. Reassure her that you don't want to get everyone else involved in it, but make it clear that if you catch her continuing that sort of behaviour that you might have to.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
It's not so much that it's satisfying, I think, a lot of pro-ana/mia groups suggest that chewing and spitting is an effective way of both appearing to have eaten, and also of tricking the body into thinking it's eaten.

fliick

HSC
N/A
It's a tactic of annorexia and bullimia, but that's where it ends. I honestly don't think it's a symptom of something bigger. Just masticating my milo and tim tams.

And I'm not involving the parentals about it. The first time I caught her, I did speak with her and lightly threaten the white wagon will take her away. She got defensive and listed worse things she could be doing. That it wasn't that bad.

I read up on that pathetic pro-ana/mia shit, I hope to fuck that's not the problem.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
if there is in fact a problem, then it definitely needs to be brought to the attention of your parents, or someone else that can help her. eating disorders arent something you should mess around with, even if they don't seem too serious. but of course, you need to establish that there is a problem.
mmhmm :) only take it to the parents if you're 100% sure it's definitely an actual issue.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
but of course she's going to deny that there's a problem. you need to decide for yourself whether it is or not, and i would definitely encourage taking it to a higher 'authority' as such even if you have the smallest suspicion. these things rarely get better on their own.
though you run the risk of alienating her further...

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
that is why it must be ascertained whether she is suffering from an eating disorder or not first!

i'm by no means advocating accusation and 'help' where it is not required, for i have been a victim of that myself.
as have I, thus my reluctance to suggest intervention until the situation has either noticeably worsened.

fliick

HSC
N/A
That sounds like she's trolling you, does she do it with her own food that you know of?
No, but it was a waste of my money this time which is why I'm pissed off.

But I merely mentioned the phrases 'pro ana/mia' and she started crying.
What the fuck. Atleast problem should be solved. Or I'll be moving out soon anyway, but what drives people to be this easily influenced is beyond me.

/thread, and Fuck you sis, the media and the internet.

fliick

HSC
N/A
but the other side of the coin cannot be neglected. i have several friends who have had eating disorders whom i wish were recognised earlier.
That's the thing.
But would you admit someone to rehab if they were on a week long drinking bender? Or if they 'mutilate' via piercing their own ears.

I've boiled it down to the 'thinspiration' and quotes she has on her computer, that she was considering worshipping ana and mia.

Lolz

fliick

HSC
N/A
that's rather... strange.

as a psych kid i'd probs get all psychoanalytical on her and say it's a representation of what is really going through her mind and thereby a form of encouragment for her to keep up with not eating correctly. but i think i've shown my opinion in this thread sufficiently.
Much appreciated. I'l have to deal with it without over/under-estimating the severity of her case.
But yeah she's only 13, sooooo. Hmm. I hope the whole ana/mia thing doesn't have any long term repercussions.
I'd recommend her school councillor, but then everyone would know. So shrink her head a little seems best.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I would be worried, just because you've only caught her doing it a few times doesn't mean its only happened on a few occasions.

I would keep an eye out, talk to her about it and be ready to inform someone you trust (or help her get help) if necessary. It sounds to me to be a symptom of a bigger problem...its not a normal thing

fliick

HSC
N/A
I would be worried, just because you've only caught her doing it a few times doesn't mean its only happened on a few occasions.

I would keep an eye out, talk to her about it and be ready to inform someone you trust (or help her get help) if necessary. It sounds to me to be a symptom of a bigger problem...its not a normal thing
Yeah yeah she got her head shrunk. Has BPD. Apparently. A textbook bullimic binges/purges minimum 3 times a week for a period of (cbf) months.
I think all mental issues are relative to the individual, and it's impossible to apply a textbook to something so complicated.

But now she seems happy on drugs and attention. We all need some crutch, and the only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.

bio_nut

HSC
Oh god, if she had BPD she's always going to be doing SOMETHING for attention. I know people with it and you stop caring after a while, all they can think about is themselves and people paying attention to them.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I've known people quite close to me that have had pretty serious eating disorders, trying to get them help causes a huge shit fight, heaps of arguments, crying, swearing, and they'll just keep denying it. Talk to your parents before you confront her, ask them to watch her for a bit, she if they notice anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)