Is this B Science or Computer Science which I got offered? (1 Viewer)

CaptainPrice

HSC

Was wondering if I could get some help from some past UNSW students! :D

CaptainPrice

HSC
You're in the Computer Science program (the one requiring 91 ATAR)

If it was just Bachelor of Science (84 ATAR), it would be called 'B Science at UNSW'.

And congrats by the way! :)
OH MY GOD YES YES!

Are you starting compsci this year?

I will be seeing you then this year sirable! :D

brad1

HSC
N/A
I might do ENGG1000 but it says that it's mostly group work so I would probably rather kill myself, but I dunno. Will have to look into what else there is.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Aren't you doing one for O week? definitely will be coming!

Btw anon, any suggestions for electives/subjects to do? Have a spot left, no idea what to do!
For Comp Sci, your first semester would be something like:

COMP1917
MATH11X1
MATH1081
1 elective from first year science electives list

It is encouraged to do ENGG1000 if you like.

For further reference: http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2015/3978.html

Use the handbook as your guide to your program structure btw. Make sure you use the handbook of your commencing year (2015) as they can vary from time to time.

brad1

HSC
N/A
Peter Brown suggested that you move Discrete Math to semester 2 to make things easier, so there's something to consider. Glad I have credit for that shit.

CaptainPrice

HSC
I might do ENGG1000 but it says that it's mostly group work so I would probably rather kill myself, but I dunno. Will have to look into what else there is.
Man, engg1000 sounds boring tbh, I'd rather have learnt something new. I can't seem to find anything related to compsci, so at this rate I think I will just pick from any other discipline - just need ideas lol

Pls, if you have any ideas, post them here! haha

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Peter Brown suggested that you move Discrete Math to semester 2 to make things easier, so there's something to consider. Glad I have credit for that shit.
Depends on the student. At least with MATH1141, a lot of things you may have learnt in HSC and are just consolidating and learning in a more rigorous manner. MATH1241 on the other hand has a lot more different content in it so it depends which side of things you will find easier.

Man, engg1000 sounds boring tbh, I'd rather have learnt something new. I can't seem to find anything related to compsci, so at this rate I think I will just pick from any other discipline - just need ideas lol

Pls, if you have any ideas, post them here! haha
Lectures contain a lot of common sense stuff in them tbh for ENGG1000. Keep in mind that ENGG1000 is Engineering based.

D94

HSC
N/A
Well there's group work in COMP1917 which is a first year first semester core course so you can't escape group work. Learn to work in a group or you will do poorly at uni.

brad1

HSC
N/A
Well there's group work in COMP1917 which is a first year first semester core course so you can't escape group work. Learn to work in a group or you will do poorly at uni.
I'm a transfer who has done plenty of group work. :p

CaptainPrice

HSC
Could you elaborate a bit? Like is there an end of sem1 project or something?

D94

HSC
N/A
I'm a transfer who has done plenty of group work. :p
Fair enough, but I'm just saying students need a positive attitude towards group work otherwise they will almost certainly do poorly. The group work in ENGG1000 is nothing compared to later years.

Could you elaborate a bit? Like is there an end of sem1 project or something?
When I did COMP1917, there was an assessment where in groups of 4, we had to create a board game (Settlers of Catan - obviously a computer version of it) and an AI, which we used to compete against other groups in the cohort. Obviously different each year, but it was a group project that spanned around 5 weeks.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
When I did COMP1917, there was an assessment where in groups of 4, we had to create a board game (Settlers of Catan - obviously a computer version of it) and an AI, which we used to compete against other groups in the cohort. Obviously different each year, but it was a group project that spanned around 5 weeks.
Since I have never done COMP1917 - is there actually maths in this course?

I know in COMP1927 there's graph theory like that in MATH1081 (trees, hamiltonian path, euler circuit)

D94

HSC
N/A
Since I have never done COMP1917 - is there actually maths in this course?

I know in COMP1927 there's graph theory like that in MATH1081 (trees, hamiltonian path, euler circuit)
No maths. It's basically an intro to C, in which the later stuff in the course covers linked lists and pointers.

CaptainPrice

HSC
Fair enough, but I'm just saying students need a positive attitude towards group work otherwise they will almost certainly do poorly. The group work in ENGG1000 is nothing compared to later years.

Awesome sounds great, not too sure about the 5 weeks part because that's pretty much half of comp1917?

But yeah, excited! Thanks D94!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)