Is there any benefit to English being compulsory? (1 Viewer)

Somehumanguy

HSC
I really can’t see how what I learn in English in highschool especially in years 10-12 provide me any value to my life after I graduate and I see it as an unfair playing field because if a person like myself whose mind is shifted to be more interested in the maths, stem, physics/chem engineering side of academia wants to maximise their atar but isn’t great at English and working with literature and doing weird creative analysis essays waffling about nothing, compared to someone whose mind is more shifted to enjoy English/hsie kind of subjects, they have the opportunity to completely scrap maths and science if they want to because it’s optional and not everyone is going to use it after school, why isn’t the same standard applied for English especially with students like myself who genuinely find it a mental struggle to sit and read a novel for 10 minutes let alone write a 6 page creative analysis of Shakespears plays in 40 minutes but have a more stable stronghold in physics/chem and maths.

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
you could say the same thing if maths were compulsory, and you were shifted to more English/writing based subjects and despised maths. Believe it or not, you use the skills you use in English in all your other subjects, including physics and chem, especially engineering. Also, I am not sure if there isn't a more relevant subject to learn as opposed to maybe mathematics, both of which you use in your daily life. Your ability to think creatively (stemming from mod c from example) may prove to be useful in order to solve some STEM question, this is as well as your analytical thinking skills - although that doesn't necessarily stem from either side. Furthermore, you can't say things like public speaking and stuff like that will not prove useful later in life, if you do, you are wrong my friend

yozz

HSC
you could say the same thing if maths were compulsory, and you were shifted to more English/writing based subjects and despised maths. Believe it or not, you use the skills you use in English in all your other subjects, including physics and chem, especially engineering. Also, I am not sure if there isn't a more relevant subject to learn as opposed to maybe mathematics, both of which you use in your daily life. Your ability to think creatively (stemming from mod c from example) may prove to be useful in order to solve some STEM question, this is as well as your analytical thinking skills - although that doesn't necessarily stem from either side. Furthermore, you can't say things like public speaking and stuff like that will not prove useful later in life, if you do, you are wrong my friend
nah but he has a point, even if it is useful in live, why is it compulsory opposed to maths or stem subjects being optional

either make both english and math compulsory or none.

Israel

HSC
im not gonna lie guys it dont really matter whether it's compulsory or not, the fact is that english is compulsory and you just gotta hold that. I'm convinced myself that 95% percent of every year 12 cohort would prefer not to do english (myself included) but the games the game, like although I'm doing really well in English wallah i would drop it in an instant.
Point is no point crying when this crap still affects ur atar

neil124

HSC
im not gonna lie guys it dont really matter whether it's compulsory or not, the fact is that english is compulsory and you just gotta hold that. I'm convinced myself that 95% percent of every year 12 cohort would prefer not to do english (myself included) but the games the game, like although I'm doing really well in English wallah i would drop it in an instant.
I had stroke trying to read that bro i aint gon lie, i can see now why you would drop english.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I really can’t see how what I learn in English in highschool especially in years 10-12 provide me any value to my life after I graduate and I see it as an unfair playing field because if a person like myself whose mind is shifted to be more interested in the maths, stem, physics/chem engineering side of academia wants to maximise their atar but isn’t great at English and working with literature and doing weird creative analysis essays waffling about nothing, compared to someone whose mind is more shifted to enjoy English/hsie kind of subjects, they have the opportunity to completely scrap maths and science if they want to because it’s optional and not everyone is going to use it after school, why isn’t the same standard applied for English especially with students like myself who genuinely find it a mental struggle to sit and read a novel for 10 minutes let alone write a 6 page creative analysis of Shakespears plays in 40 minutes but have a more stable stronghold in physics/chem and maths.
English is a useless subject and is years later, all it teaches you to do is to BS in your essays (btw uni essays aren't even the same quote-technique format)

sheppy123

HSC
i refuse to believe someone can be just STEM oriented. English is the easiest subject to improve at, just pickup a book 😭 And the reason you all find reading a novel for 10 minutes difficult is because your dopamine receptors are fried and you have 0 attention span because you’re all addicted to TikTok.

WeiWeiMan

HSC
nah but he has a point, even if it is useful in live, why is it compulsory opposed to maths or stem subjects being optional

either make both english and math compulsory or none.
Math is being compulsory lol

nsw..wollongong

HSC
saying wallah and having ur name be Israel is crazy icl 💀

itsalovehaterelo

HSC
i think english being compulsory is actually good. it teaches good expression and vocab, as well as coherent writing. i think stem kids go great in english adv, because advanced essays are so formulated.

SB257426

Very Important User
HSC
if I begin my rant then I might curse my english exam so when my exam is done and i know i cant be cursed with a bad essay question ill come back and i will rant

hehe43

HSC
i refuse to believe someone can be just STEM oriented. English is the easiest subject to improve at, just pickup a book 😭 And the reason you all find reading a novel for 10 minutes difficult is because your dopamine receptors are fried and you have 0 attention span because you’re all addicted to TikTok.
This is the dumbest shit I've heard in a while.

sheppy123

HSC
This is the dumbest shit I've heard in a while.
It’s not true? Yeah I‘m sure not being able to read a book comes down to you just simply not enjoying English! not the fact that you have no attention span whatsoever and can’t focus

Somehumanguy

HSC
Well I guess this is your first time meeting someone who is like that and before you come at me for attention span for not being able to read a novel, reading a novel was never something I could do myself even before I had my first social media account. And trust me if there’s someone who’s screwed for English it’s me, heck I’m more confident in getting a higher physics hsc mark than English, this might be subjective but to me, I’m answering a question that makes no sense and expected to write a 6 page essay of pure waffling crap where I don’t know what the hell im writing about.

Somehumanguy

HSC
I’m not denying you can use English skills after high school, but I can say the same for maths, where to an extent even historians and authors need some level of maths understanding for day to day life but maths isn’t compulsory and maybe this is a level of bias on my end but a lot of concepts in maths can directly translate to being used regularly by some individuals especially engineers but I can’t say the same for English, yes communication is necessary but having the ability to write 6 pages of creative analysis with 3 peel paragraphs of some piece of poetry where all you do is waffle about nothing is not practical, if English was so useful why don’t they directly teach actual skills like communication and public speaking.

nsw..wollongong

HSC
It’s not true? Yeah I‘m sure not being able to read a book comes down to you just simply not enjoying English! not the fact that you have no attention span whatsoever and can’t focus
nah fam english isn't abt how fast u can read its abt how to suck up to the marker's subjective thoughts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)