Is the School Cert important? (1 Viewer)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Or if you do bad in Science you can't do any Sciences?
Not necessarily. Just demonstrate to your teacher you are capable. You will most likely get into the courses you want. Don't stress.

Just avoid N-awards. You will be fine. (Before I eat you that is.)

Protract

HSC
Haven't got any N awards. But schools should let you pick whatever you want, not letting someone do a subject is just not right.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
My school doesn't stop people from doing subjects, but for multi level subjects, (English, Maths esp. and to some degree science), they may recommend what level you take if you ask them. Obviously you can choose to ignore them though-they don't really care. They base their recommendation on in school assessment though, not the external. You can pick whatever level of maths etc. and your other subjects yourself.

Most schools don't have any restrictions, but some schools, the cut off is pretty reasonable if you want to study the course because you should pretty naturally get it anyways.

Protract

HSC
Hopefully my school doesn't have. Long short short; I have been basically bludging (not literally) in junior school I always do my work in class, hand in assignments, etc but just too lazy to learn or study. It's hard to concentrate when the teachers keeps on talking and talking and talking and never stops, so even though the School Cert is easy; I haven't been exactly listening in class so I don't know if I will do very well. Do you think if you didn't develop good study habits in junior school, you're really going to suffer in senior school? And I know Year 11 doesn't count, but I still want to do well to build up confidence.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Hopefully my school doesn't have. Long short short; I have been basically bludging (not literally) in junior school I always do my work in class, hand in assignments, etc but just too lazy to learn or study. It's hard to concentrate when the teachers keeps on talking and talking and talking and never stops, so even though the School Cert is easy; I haven't been exactly listening in class so I don't know if I will do very well. Do you think if you didn't develop good study habits in junior school, you're really going to suffer in senior school? And I know Year 11 doesn't count, but I still want to do well to build up confidence.
If you don't develope study habits in yr 11 it will make your HSC harder.

Gigacube

HSC
Do you think if you didn't develop good study habits in junior school, you're really going to suffer in senior school?
You won't suffer at the start of year 11 but as you go on you might find it harder. It's best to learn them early so you can correct yourself & find out what works best for you.

If someone in the lowest maths class (in a coed govt. school) picks 3u maths then that person is obviously not going to be allowed to do 3u maths. That's fair.

Sometimes schools don't allow certain people to do subject due to their work ethic. You wouldn't want a disruptive, attention-seeking person in your 3u maths class. Another reason why some schools don't allow certain people to do subject is because they will fall behind & may slow the class down. There are only 3 terms in year 11 & you need to get through all the content.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Lol. I did absolutely nothing in year 10. Nothing. But i did study for my SC because i am just that cool.

Although it's 'pointless', i think you should put some effort in for the sc. Yes geography sucks, yes everything sucks. But it's pretty awesome to get band 6's in everything. Besides, there's no way out of it so why not do a good job anyway?

You dont have to listen to your teachers in year 10. You hardly learn anything anyway, so just teach yourself. Start now.

it's important to establish good study habits now - form that mindset or else you will crash and burn.
Put some effort in year 11. If you arent going to do well then, who says you will in year12? Come on, be realistic.

Last edited:

Protract

HSC
I have just been enjoying Year 10 so far; relaxing, playing games, music, etc. Hardly studying, lol. I have decided to use year 11 to learn good study habits.

Alkanes

HSC
SC is a joke. I think i said this at least 10 times so far

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
No School Certificate = No Year 11.

If you want to aim for greatness, straight band sixes! :)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you really want to do a subject there is nothing your school can do to stop you unless the class is full. If you threaten them with taking them to the BOS they will fold.

If say you want to do something like Physics and the class has a maximum of 25 then the school can refuse to take anyone who is outside the first 25 in Physics who apply - so if you are coming 1st in Science but 26th in Physics you could actually miss the Physics class - I know this scenario is higly improbable but it is simply to make a point.

My current school tries to stop students doing certain subjects and levels but one student always fights and always wins but most couldn't be bothered.

Protract

HSC
I think it is too late for me to get band 6's in everything. I don't really care, as long as I get a School Cert which I will because I have handed in all assessments, etc.

Alkanes

HSC
Wth??? It's never too late dude, you havn't even sat your SC trials yet..

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I think it is too late for me to get band 6's in everything. I don't really care, as long as I get a School Cert which I will because I have handed in all assessments, etc.
Never too late to change in life. (Personal experience)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)