Is the School Cert important? (1 Viewer)

Protract

HSC
Is it important to do well? I haven't been studying for it at all, and my parents want me to study for all those boring subjects like Geography and I don't want to do it.

enoilgam

HSC
No, school certificate is a waste of time, unless your not planning on completing your HSC. I wouldnt bother studying for the School Certificate, just show up on the day and put in a half decent effort.

Protract

HSC
I know that but apparently Geography is important and I need it in life. URGHH, even though I am not doing it next year, I hate it, they say I have to get at least 70% in all the non-important subjects. WHY?

Gigacube

HSC
I know that but apparently Geography is important and I need it in life. URGHH, even though I am not doing it next year, I hate it, they say I have to get at least 70% in all the non-important subjects. WHY?
I don't think it's that important that you need it in life. The skills part might help a bit.

Relax & enjoy year 10 before year 11 starts.

Protract

HSC
Technically, you don't really have to study until Year 12 because Year 12 is where everything counts. Its more about the hapits and skills you develop so by Year 12 you don't find it that difficult. Year 11 is the year I will use to build up all of that.

Gigacube

HSC
Technically, you don't really have to study until Year 12 because Year 12 is where everything counts. Its more about the hapits and skills you develop so by Year 12 you don't find it that difficult. Year 11 is the year I will use to build up all of that.
Yes, you technically don't have to study as nothing counts but you should study & learn the concepts so you have a greater understanding of everything in year 12. You shouldn't have that 'nothing counts' attitude towards year 11 either. Some of the maths you do in year 11 will be tested in the HSC. You will also have lots of homework & assessments to prepare for.

Protract

HSC
Yeah, my parents said I should take Year 11 just as seriously as Year 12. I look at past papers of my subjects and it's not that difficult, there are a lot of things I don't know but I will learn that in the next 2 years, so I am not worried which is probably a bad thing because whenever I think negative, something good happens. Whenever I think positive, something bad happens.

Gigacube

HSC
Yeah, my parents said I should take Year 11 just as seriously as Year 12. I look at past papers of my subjects and it's not that difficult, there are a lot of things I don't know but I will learn that in the next 2 years, so I am not worried which is probably a bad thing because whenever I think negative, something good happens. Whenever I think positive, something bad happens.
Yeah, that's what year 10's say. You may be able to answer a few questions but you usually won't be able to get full marks for a response as you don't know what's required of you yet. Year 11 is a lot different from year 10.

Protract

HSC
They teach all the basics in Year 11, right? Because if they don't, then I am really worried.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The content of Year 10 isn't important - except for Maths and Science as I am sure they build on that knowledge in the senior years.

The skills of Geography are useful life skills to a certain extent.

The skills from English and History will also be useful life skills but the content - well that is up to you.

What is important to gain from the Year 10 experience is just that - experience. It is a chance to practise different learning methods that will be assessed away from school so for instance learning History by simply reading, but Geography by writing and re-writing your notes. Now when you get your results back and you get 99 in History and 78 in Geography they you have learnt something about how best YOU learn.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
School Certificate Trials are actually more important than the actual School Certificate such as in my school due to the fact that Trials determines classes for next year and other stuff.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
BAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

Yr 10, I played games on my krudd laptop, message boards you name it, didn't write notes all the time...

I put in an insy bit of study for History/Geo/Science, like night before SC. Didn't do anything for English or Maths.
High Band 5's to 6's

If you've actually been doing work this year, you'll get at least easy Band 5's in it. It's sooooo easy!

My advice to you, Yr 10, is to savour the non importance by doing nothing.

Protract

HSC
WHAT?! School Certificate determines classes for next year? So you can't do the subjects you want then??? Your School Cert determines it??

xeniapotter

HSC
^ I'm pretty sure that's only for their school...other schools may differ. You might want to check.

I'm in Year 10 at the moment and our teachers don't seem to be caring that much about the SC (I go to a private school, if that matters). They're more preoccupied with getting us prepared for Year 11 and subject selection, which I prefer.

Protract

HSC
So dees that mean if you don't do very well in the History SC you can't do Modern History?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Don't be scared, you will make it out alive. I still think SC is important. Even though, you won't need much study, some of the concepts carry on. At least learn some of it.

So dees that mean if you don't do very well in the History SC you can't do Modern History?
Depends on the school. Our school, you needed a report mark of 86 to do Extension 1 Mathematics and a SC of 90+.

Protract

HSC
I thought you were supposed to pick subjects that you want to do and schools are not allowed to stop you from doing subjects. I mean they do that kind of stuff to decide Year 9 and 10 maths classes but I thought you can do whatever you want in Yr 11 and 12.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)