Is the ATAR scaled using the amount of students in the state or in your school? (1 Viewer)

the_one_1

HSC
Is it the rankings of the state that determine the ATAR or is it the ranking from school.

bangladesh

HSC
atar is your percentile within a course amongst the state.

the_one_1

HSC
atar is your percentile within a course amongst the state.
I mean assessment marks and HSC marks separately are scaled using the amount of students in the state or school. Sorry if I worded it confusingly.

lolwot

HSC
I mean assessment marks and HSC marks separately are scaled using the amount of students in the state or school. Sorry if I worded it confusingly.
Don't worry about it... knowing how it's calculated isn't going to change it, get off this site and focus on your next exams :) !, if you go well externally you have a good chance of getting your 74.

the_one_1

HSC
Don't worry about it... knowing how it's calculated isn't going to change it, get off this site and focus on your next exams :) !, if you go well externally you have a good chance of getting your 74.
I don't care how its calculated. My school is an average school. If the marks from assessments and the HSC is scaled from the school, most likely it will mean a better ATAR score. Just wanting to know if it is the state or the school assessment marks and the HSC marks are scaled from.

D94

HSC
N/A
UAC uses your raw HSC exam mark and your moderated assessment marks (both before the alignment process) in order to determine your ATAR.

It has nothing to do with your ranks.

the_one_1

HSC
UAC uses your raw HSC exam mark and your moderated assessment marks (both before the alignment process) in order to determine your ATAR.

It has nothing to do with your ranks.
But it is scaled through your school or state...

D94

HSC
N/A
But it is scaled through your school or state...
That makes no sense.

Your raw HSC exam mark is the mark you achieved in the HSC exam. Your moderated assessment mark is determined by moderating/adjusting your school marks based on your cohort's HSC exam marks. These marks are all on a statewide basis, and these are what UAC uses to determine your ATAR.

The ATAR is your rank in the state.

the_one_1

HSC
That makes no sense.

Your raw HSC exam mark is the mark you achieved in the HSC exam. Your moderated assessment mark is determined by moderating/adjusting your school marks based on your cohort's HSC exam marks. These marks are all on a statewide basis, and these are what UAC uses to determine your ATAR.

The ATAR is your rank in the state.
The assessment marks are adjusted/scaled by your cohort (so your school year). That is what I was trying to find out. Thanks.

Also what marks are scaled. Are the HSC marks also scaled or is it just added onto the moderated assessment mark.

D94

HSC
N/A
The assessment marks are adjusted/scaled by your cohort (so your school year). That is what I was trying to find out. Thanks.

Also what marks are scaled. Are the HSC marks also scaled or is it just added onto the moderated assessment mark.
Just to reiterate: Your school marks are moderated based on your cohort's HSC exam performance. If your cohort's highest exam mark was 95 and lowest exam mark was 80, then ALL assessment marks fall within 80 to 95. If your cohort's highest exam mark was 80 and the lowest was 70, then all assessment marks fall within 70 to 80.

Scaling is done by UAC to determine your ATAR. Aligning is done by BOS to determine your aligned marks - the final marks you see on your testamur/transcript.

I suspect you are referring to aligning. Both the HSC exam marks and the moderated assessment marks are aligned in accordance to the standards by an aligning committee. This is to determine your Bands - 1/2/3/4/5/6.

If you are indeed referring to scaling, i.e. re UAC and your ATAR, then your raw HSC exam mark and your moderated assessment mark are averaged to form your raw HSC mark. This is then scaled through complex calculations and then a scaled mark is produced. Some other processes including comparing your Yr 12 cohort to your Yr 7 cohort are considered, but after all that, your ATAR comes out the other end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)