• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is my plan extremely difficult, or is it impossible? (1 Viewer)

DavidL

HSC
I'll be starting at TAFE on the 2nd February to do the HSC and for most courses, the preliminary course is completed in 8 weeks and the HSC course is completed in 16 weeks. My plan is to do 2 unit mathematics, 3 unit mathematics, 4 unit mathematics, advanced English, chemistry, physics and economics.

I want to study a Bachelor of Engineering at the University of Adelaide which has a prerequisite of 4 unit mathematics and physics and chemistry as assumed knowledge. The rest of my family lives in Adelaide, close to the University of Adelaide and I do miss them! I was hoping to do well in the HSC and thus be able to study at the University of Adelaide to be with them again. It has been years since we've seen each other and unfortunately they do not use the internet so I haven't even been able to see them!

Considering I will be studying the preliminary and HSC courses for all of these subjects in 6 months and I will be working for 25 hours per week, is my plan extremely difficult or is it impossible? I would love to know what your honest thoughts are before I enrol next week.

Thank you.

HSC
I believe you have this all planned- you know your goals, you are determined and your family story is very touching. Not many of us have all this planned out (cough* me) so well done!
Even though you are doing hsc in tafe, I think it is pretty much like any other, maybe better. You get to be in a mature atmosphere, the teachers actually teach (tafe is strict on them) and less people/ distractions. I did do a tafe course along school and I liked the whole tafe environment. I still have my card lols (awkward photo though).

For the working bit, 25 hours would be around 3- 5 hours per day? As long as you have a schedule for everything, then all is fine.

It is extremely possible for you, so goodluck!

Kaido

be.
HSC
Who cares about impossible. Make it possible.

DavidL

HSC
I believe you have this all planned- you know your goals, you are determined and your family story is very touching. Not many of us have all this planned out (cough* me) so well done!
Even though you are doing hsc in tafe, I think it is pretty much like any other, maybe better. You get to be in a mature atmosphere, the teachers actually teach (tafe is strict on them) and less people/ distractions. I did do a tafe course along school and I liked the whole tafe environment. I still have my card lols (awkward photo though).

For the working bit, 25 hours would be around 3- 5 hours per day? As long as you have a schedule for everything, then all is fine.

It is extremely possible for you, so goodluck!
Thank you for the good wishes. I went to the information session yesterday, the teachers were very friendly and I look forward to working with them to achieve (hopefully) good results.

Who cares about impossible. Make it possible.
Thank you Kaido, I'll try my best to!

ym1212

HSC
Yes I agree with Snowflakeptical and Kaido! I think it's very possible as long as you want it badly enough (and evidently you do)

However, just a bit of advice, if you do find yourself struggling a bit during the year, perhaps consider dropping economics (since it's the only subject that isn't required or assumed for engineering). I know at first it seems a bit risky doing 10 units but i think that the extra time can be put to very good use in maximising marks for your other subjects.
Personally, I only did 10 units (actually exactly the same subjects as you excluding eco) and many of my friends also did 10 units and we didn't have any problems. Of course there is always the risk of goofing a subject on the hsc day and not having any back-ups but the chances of that are very, very small and I have never actually seen it happen so don't worry :)

GOOD LUCK AND I VERY MUCH HOPE YOU ARE REUNITED WITH YOUR FAMILY SOON!

DavidL

HSC
Yes I agree with Snowflakeptical and Kaido! I think it's very possible as long as you want it badly enough (and evidently you do)

However, just a bit of advice, if you do find yourself struggling a bit during the year, perhaps consider dropping economics (since it's the only subject that isn't required or assumed for engineering). I know at first it seems a bit risky doing 10 units but i think that the extra time can be put to very good use in maximising marks for your other subjects.
Personally, I only did 10 units (actually exactly the same subjects as you excluding eco) and many of my friends also did 10 units and we didn't have any problems. Of course there is always the risk of goofing a subject on the hsc day and not having any back-ups but the chances of that are very, very small and I have never actually seen it happen so don't worry :)

GOOD LUCK AND I VERY MUCH HOPE YOU ARE REUNITED WITH YOUR FAMILY SOON!
Thank you ym1212 for the advice! :)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Why are you only going to have 24 weeks?

The HSC exams are only held once a year - starting in October - which is around 37 weeks from now.

If you start studying now your 24 weeks will be up in July.

DavidL

HSC
Why are you only going to have 24 weeks?

The HSC exams are only held once a year - starting in October - which is around 37 weeks from now.

If you start studying now your 24 weeks will be up in July.
That's when our trial exams are going to be, they didn't say anything about lessons continuing after the trial exams.

good luck
Thank you very much, I'll need it!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I have taught students doing HSC courses through TAFE and they have continued with classes after the Trials. Frequently they don't even have the course finished by the Trials.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey DavidL, I have sent you the email as promised-check your email when you have time-hope my advice helped:)

DavidL

HSC
I have taught students doing HSC courses through TAFE and they have continued with classes after the Trials. Frequently they don't even have the course finished by the Trials.
If that's the case, I must have 2 months to complete the preliminary course and 6 months to complete the HSC course! :)

Hey DavidL, I have sent you the email as promised-check your email when you have time-hope my advice helped:)
I replied :)

enoilgam

HSC
It wont be easy by any stretch, but it is do able. From what I gather, you are a mature age student and that maturity will definitely help you out in this situation. Besides, as Ive said before a few times, you should be more productive with more on your plate.

DavidL

HSC
It wont be easy by any stretch, but it is do able. From what I gather, you are a mature age student and that maturity will definitely help you out in this situation. Besides, as Ive said before a few times, you should be more productive with more on your plate.
Thank you, Enoilgam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)