Is it worth doing Adv. english if it only ups your uai by 0.4? (1 Viewer)

Guesss

HSC
Thanks evry1 for the advice. :) I figured out y advanced scales betta, u noe how when every1 in a subject does well then you will get scaled up? yeah well u got betta chance of evry1 going well in adv. than in standard... no offence to any1 in standard :) So yeah anywayz i'm sticking wif advanced... yay

:) thanx again!

N james thats gr8 keep reading n let me noe if u come across anything interesting.....ta

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Thanks evry1 for the advice. :) I figured out y advanced scales betta, u noe how when every1 in a subject does well then you will get scaled up? yeah well u got betta chance of evry1 going well in adv. than in standard... no offence to any1 in standard :) So yeah anywayz i'm sticking wif advanced... yay

:) thanx again!

N james thats gr8 keep reading n let me noe if u come across anything interesting.....ta
English (Standard) has the same scaling as English (Advanced).

Guesss

HSC
English (Standard) has the same scaling as English (Advanced).
Well from research i'v done n from all the advice i'v gotten i have found out it does scale better...

try playing around with SAM n u'll c that adv. scales 0.4 betta (in UAI) each tym

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Well from research i'v done n from all the advice i'v gotten i have found out it does scale better...

try playing around with SAM n u'll c that adv. scales 0.4 betta (in UAI) each tym
For SAM, the marks you put in are ALIGNED MARKS. Of course you are going to get different scaled mark from that.

You have to understand that scaling is done on your RAW MARKS.

-PaRkS-

HSC
adv and std are only similar in one part of the paper (belonging as it has been studied by both) the rest of the paper is completely different the same part of the paper also only comes down to how good you are at anylsing the text you have studied
and i dont see the problem with switching to std i did it as i went really bad in yr 11 (doing nothing at all didnt help)
but we just finishd belonging and i did just as good or better than quite a few adv students
it all comes down to what you want to do as it is your choice, teachers can recomend what to do but in the end you have to make the decision as its your HSC and your future

Saieash

HSC
Wait so is it impossible (pretty much) to get band 6 in standard English because:
1)It is impossible - by scaling or whatever bs they do to ur mark
OR
2) Smart people are persuaded not to do standard or don't do standard 4 other reasons

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
wait so is it impossible (pretty much) to get band 6 in standard english because:
1)it is impossible - by scaling or whatever bs they do to ur mark
or
2) smart people are persuaded not to do standard or don't do standard 4 other reasons
2)

xthecandyman

HSC
what the fuck, i thought standard+adv did paper 1, and paper 2 is only done by adv

or am i mising something
everyone does paper 1 (AOS=Belonging)

paper 2 is modules, which advanced and standard both have to do

however, standard and advanced have different modules so they each get a different paper 2

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
If you're good at English, it is advised to do English Advanced.
If you can identify a technique ie dialogue, metaphors, similes, emotive language etc and can string together a sentence explaining its effect for eg it is used to emphasise the negative effects of being isolated.

Oh and being able to survive doing one Shakespearean text would also be advisable.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
If you can identify a technique ie dialogue, metaphors, similes, emotive language etc and can string together a sentence explaining its effect for eg it is used to emphasise the negative effects of being isolated.

Oh and being able to survive doing one Shakespearean text would also be advisable.
hmm.. even tho that wasnt for me, but I can survive doing all that, but I'm just overall crap at english... Like I know how to do that, but like for a 1 hour practice essay it took me 3 hours to make it good.. it wasnt perfect.. just good... Any help? I really want 93-95 for english HSC (english advance)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
hmm.. even tho that wasnt for me, but I can survive doing all that, but I'm just overall crap at english... Like I know how to do that, but like for a 1 hour practice essay it took me 3 hours to make it good.. it wasnt perfect.. just good... Any help? I really want 93-95 for english HSC (english advance)
Don't worry, i take forever on my essays too. You need to prepare your base essay (it should be super flexible) and make a structure out of it (including your quotes) that you can remember. That way you can just change the thesis of your essay to fit whatever it needs to be and you've got yourself a good essay to write.

If i didn't do that, i wouldn't have been able to write the 1300 word essay i did yesterday XD

Bacchus

HSC
The title doesn't make sense because scaling is same for both English (Advanced) and English (Standard).

So 90.0 in English (Advanced) = 90.0 in English (Standard)

The reason why 90 in English (Advanced) seems to give better scaled mark than 90 in English (Standard) is because of the use of the scaling report that SAM adopts.

For example, if we say that 99th percentile gave 90 for English (Standard) and 90th percentile gave 90 for English (Advanced), it's not 90 as in 90.0, it can range from 89.5-90.5 meaning that 99th percentile for Standard can be like 89.5 whereas 90th percentile for Advanced is like 90.2 (this is an example). If this is the case, of curse the English (Advanced) would give higher scaled mark.

red-butterfly

HSC
yeah its worth doing ^ ^ if you do really crap then standard will bring you down...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)