Is it true the Trials are much harder than the HSC papers? (1 Viewer)

AtlasX

HSC
I've heard the Trials are much harder than the HSC exams, is this true?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
That depends on the school.
This.

It depends on your school --> do they make or buy their papers, their marking standards, etc.

Also, it depends on the subject.

I think MX2 trials are usually easier than the actual MX2 HSC papers for example.

Same goes with MX1 usually.

Unless you're from Sydney Grammar - a school known to set hard MX1/MX2 trials.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It really depends on your school and what you define as 'hard'-because sometimes even when an exam is equally difficult or harder than HSC trials, whether the school chooses to mark less harshly or more harshly compared to actual HSC standards can have an influence on the student's perception of the trials in comparison to the actual HSC, but generally, unless your school makes easy trials, your performance in your trials can be a good indication of how you will go in the HSC (with improvements of course).

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Generally no - they are the same standard but in hindsight appear harder because they are done earlier in the year when you know less information and have less developed skills. I have even seen the same question appear in a trial and HSC in the same year and still had students say the trial exam was harder in that area until they were shown that it was the same question. The extra two - three months of study between the trials and HSC, especially as that is when a lot of the practising of doing HSC questions occurs helps students be more comfortable in the HSC than they were in the trials.

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
I know in some selective schools the marking guidelines for the science subjects are more strict than the HSC questions, (this doesn't apply to james ruse, their phys and chem tests.. *_*) they set hard tests to distinguish who deserves b6 and b5 better so the internal marks are more fair

enoilgam

HSC
Well, it depends on the school and which papers are used, but as cem said, they appear harder in hindsight. People are often far more prepared for the HSC and they have a better feel for the exam style, which makes the final exams often appear much easier.

buriza

conviction
HSC
I agree with enoilgram in that your trial papers are likely to seem more difficult in hindsight, but they really do help you prepare for the HSC. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)