Is it true that... (1 Viewer)

JayCakie

HSC
Although I cannot speak much for others, but this "holier than thou" mentality is very ingrained in the Lower North Shore area near where I live. I don't think they are purposely trying to undermine others or be condescending, it's just how a vast majority of them are in this area - at university this is not the exception. I have friends who go to very prestigious schools in the North Shore and a majority of them, although extremely kind and friendly, are unaware of most hardships or alternative lifestyles.

At university I think some still carry this attitude with them for reasons such as immaturity and limited interactions with people of different backgrounds. Most however aren't that bad. It's generally the ones that voluntarily want to carry these bigoted ideas. A prime example was when I visited Shore and one of the school parents screamed out: "Public schools create and breed criminals!"

Yep. Even in the North Shore people are badly treated. So I wouldn't be surprised if people still have ignorance in university. It's like poorly developed human nature.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
EDIT: I am from Cabramatta... which many people define as a "bad" area. I perhaps may be "bad" in my posts, by saying "bad areas may cultivate bad people", which makes me a "bad" person.... lol
Please define 'bad.'

inJust

HSC
So by the logic of conformity, it's my queue to be offering you guys heroin -_-

Unlimited

HSC
I admit I do believe "that 100% of the time people from 'bad' areas also turn out bad".... but how do you define what's bad and what's good? It is culture which distinguishes between good and bad... also, what's good and/or accepted in one culture may not necessarily be the same in a different culture (for example, in vietnam, couples are discouraged from kissing or the "I love you" couple hugging -EDIT: in public-, whereas these activities are more widely accepted in western culture.

If we want "people from 'bad' areas turn out good", we must give them education, we must teach them to what society and culture defines as good.

Also, I tend to "add 'to some extent' as a safe way of disguising their true belief that bad area=bad person".... that was exactly what I was doing..... but I was also trying to imply that there is an uncertainly..... especially since this is psychology.

EDIT: I am from Cabramatta... which many people define as a "bad" area. I perhaps may be "bad" in my posts, by saying "bad areas may cultivate bad people", which makes me a "bad" person.... lol
I didn't know this simple 'point of fact' conversation turned philosophical...

funkygirl59

HSC
I really don't think this is a major issue if you make friends with the right people. I'm from a well-off family in Bellevue Hill (Eastern Suburbs) and I for one cannot WAIT to meet people who aren't just from the same background as me. That's one of the best things about going to such a big university (doing comm/law at usyd). Of course i'm only starting this year so I can't say for sure what the atmosphere is generally like, but my sister is going into her 3rd year at USYD and her two best college friends are from canberra, her boyfriend is from paramatta and basically her major group of friends didn't really go to private schools. Some did. some didn't. For me, a person's personality - regardless of where they live - is the determining factor in a friendship and hopefully most people will think the same. Never be ashamed of where you come from :)

HSC
N/A
aha well I've lived in Neutral Bay- Kogarah- Penrith and now Bella Vista and I remember when I lived in Neutral Bay our neighbours were that fucking stuck up.... :|
when I lived in Penrith my neighbours were like the friendliest people in the world... it was actually a very friendly, caring place Penrith and tbh I enjoyed living there much more then I enjoyed living in Neutral Bay, even though it might be considered a more 'affluent' area.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
To be honest who really cares. You will always encounter people like that in your life, in university or otherwise. People love to come up with these tags that they can slap on themselves and hide behind, usually because they are weak and cannot stand up on their own two feet.

Tens of thousands of people at university. Have a quiet laugh to yourself and move on lol.

shakky

HSC
Well I'm a westy, and at enrollment yesterday at USYD, I was able start and sustain a good conversation with two girls, one from the northern beaches and the other from the Eastern suburbs. I thought they were very nice, and not snobbish at all. I never felt as if I was looked down upon because I was from the West. I guess there are some people who would think lesser of you, as Ozko and Shadowdude mentioned, people who haven't mixed around with others from different areas in their life. But as us westies get used to it, so will those snobs and they may change, and you never know, maybe one of them will become your best friend, wife, husband or lover in a couple of years time. Human interaction is one of those unsolved and uncontrollable mysteries... (for now).

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well I'm a westy, and at enrollment yesterday at USYD, I was able start and sustain a good conversation with two girls, one from the northern beaches and the other from the Eastern suburbs. I thought they were very nice, and not snobbish at all. I never felt as if I was looked down upon because I was from the West. I guess there are some people who would think lesser of you, as Ozko and Shadowdude mentioned, people who haven't mixed around with others from different areas in their life. But as us westies get used to it, so will those snobs and they may change, and you never know, maybe one of them will become your best friend, wife, husband or lover in a couple of years time. Human interaction is one of those unsolved and uncontrollable mysteries... (for now).
Just wait until you tell them you're from like Penrith or something and see how fast they run!

(nah, i'm just kidding)

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
I live on the lower North Shore and I don't have a problem with the western suburbs - my best friend lives there and I've actually visited her a lot at her house. Please don't make assumptions based on a few dickheads. I once encountered a couple of boys from selective schools who were less than friendly so it's not just the North Shore and Eastern Suburbs.

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
shakky, which faculty were you enrolling with? I was with science.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)