• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is it to late to move schools? (1 Viewer)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm coming to the end of my year 10 life and starting preliminaries next year, its just that I feel like my cohorts, teachers and classmates in general aren't that suitable for me.

First off, the teachers. I know many schools don't have to deal with constant scares of how they're going to "drop you if you don't do well" and since I've been performing well for my whole year, I've just been under stress of the idea of having all my hard work go towards nothing. I'm ranked 2nd in English for my class and 10th for mathematics (5.3 pathway). We have roll overs where students are able to "try out the class for their suitability" and teachers say if we don't do well in our assessments given the next few weeks, they will drop students down to a lower class, now I know from reading a lot on this forum that "teachers aren't allowed to deny students of a subject they want to study for their senior year" but the English faculty said that if anyone makes a complaint, she will talk with our parents and even someone from the BoS, this just adds additional stress to me because of the pressure.

Secondly are my teachers, some luck of the draw and you'd get great teachers but mainly, they are pretty bad at explaining and my classmates aren't all that great, as a year we aren't all that close and we end up just talking to each other to pass the time.
While my school is pretty well ranked (~113) I've been thinking to moving to Patrician Brothers College Fairfield (~124?) or Chester Hill Highschool (???). Any opinions? Is it too late to be moving schools?

plutonium-238

HSC
You can still move schools, but you would have to see if the other schools would enroll you. Which particular schools are you willing to move to?

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
You can still move schools, but you would have to see if the other schools would enroll you. Which particular schools are you willing to move to?
As listed below: patrician brothers, chester hill or generally the fairfield area schools

Verify

HSC
You can move schools in the middle of Year 12 if I'm not mistaken but obviously that's very stupid lol. I understand your desire to move schools but I suggest you don't if you think you've found great lifelong friends at your current school. If you really care about your education you should be making an effort to do your best yourself with minimal help from anyone else.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
You can still move schools.
Don't worry too much about others, you will find a group that accepts you eventually, where you can fit in.
You're school is well ranked. If you want to move, then move to a top 50 school.
IMO it seems you are stressing too much over little things. You should relax and not worry too much. You can achieve a 97+ ATAR if you are ranked top 5 in everything in your school.

You are already doing well. By the way, you have only 10 units down for preliminary. You MUST do 12 minimum for preliminary to move on to achieve the HSC.

enoilgam

HSC
To be honest, I dont think moving schools should be taken all that lightly and I'm not sure if your reasons are that strong. First, your teachers can pressure you as much as they like, but ultimately you are the one calling the shots and I dont think they can force you to move down. You just need to stand your ground in these cases and not let people pressure you (protip, this is a key life skill especially in uni/the workforce). Secondly, there is no guarantee that a better school will have better teachers - you will find that most schools have a mix of good, average and bad teachers.

Also, dont ignore the social aspect of school. Right now, chances are you have an established group of friends at your current school. If you move schools, you will be heading into an environment where people already have established friendship groups and it can be tough to break in. It isnt like the start of HS or Uni when everyone more or less is starting new. I think a lot of people underestimate the value of strong friendship groups, but having one definitely makes school easier and more enjoyable and ultimately that is going to put you in a better position to do well. So dont ignore this - I've been out of school a few years and looking back I value the whole social side of HS a lot more than I thought and I definitely wouldnt trade it for a couple extra ATAR points. I was pretty driven and focused on results in HS but let me tell you, when you look back on the experience, it isnt marks or ATARs you remember.

That being said, you know what is best for you and if you arent happy then maybe leaving is a good idea. Just dont take it lightly and make sure you have strong reasons for leaving.

Reactions: QZP

QZP

HSC
What enoilgam has said is very truthful; moving schools should not be taken lightly and there is a lot to consider.

Education has always been an important thing to me, and so naturally I decided to move from my ~500 ranking school to a top 30 school (I was accepted) in order to seek better teachers and stronger cohorts. But let me just say... I decided to move back.

Verify

HSC
To be honest, I dont think moving schools should be taken all that lightly and I'm not sure if your reasons are that strong. First, your teachers can pressure you as much as they like, but ultimately you are the one calling the shots and I dont think they can force you to move down. You just need to stand your ground in these cases and not let people pressure you (protip, this is a key life skill especially in uni/the workforce). Secondly, there is no guarantee that a better school will have better teachers - you will find that most schools have a mix of good, average and bad teachers.

Also, dont ignore the social aspect of school. Right now, chances are you have an established group of friends at your current school. If you move schools, you will be heading into an environment where people already have established friendship groups and it can be tough to break in. It isnt like the start of HS or Uni when everyone more or less is starting new. I think a lot of people underestimate the value of strong friendship groups, but having one definitely makes school easier and more enjoyable and ultimately that is going to put you in a better position to do well. So dont ignore this - I've been out of school a few years and looking back I value the whole social side of HS a lot more than I thought and I definitely wouldnt trade it for a couple extra ATAR points. I was pretty driven and focused on results in HS but let me tell you, when you look back on the experience, it isnt marks or ATARs you remember.

That being said, you know what is best for you and if you arent happy then maybe leaving is a good idea. Just dont take it lightly and make sure you have strong reasons for leaving.
^ Thissssss.

I can relate so much T_T

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad

I know my points aren't as strong but this school is just causing me a lot of stress and my school is making my ambitions and drive a lot less possible. I have friends in neighbouring schools so I don't think I have to worry about the social aspect of school all that much and I don't think I've established much with my cohorts in terms of how close we are.

Mrdoubleabcd

HSC
I can relate to you so much OP, school is killing me right now. I'm pretty sure high schools take all applicants all year, I wouldn't move to chester hill unless you're sure you can smash your cohort because I'm not too sure, but their ranking is like 231? only handful of their cohort actually achieve 90+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)