Is it really necessary to purchase various textbooks in order to do well in subjects? (1 Viewer)

muzeikchun852

HSC
Re: Is it really necessary to purchase various textbooks in order to do well in subje

Search around bos, but there are a limited number of text books though - mainly science ones.
i tried to find physics textbooks, but there isnt any. do u mind giving me the links?

CecilyMare

HSC
Re: Is it really necessary to purchase various textbooks in order to do well in subje

just borrow from the library man, it's a pain having to scroll through all the scanned pages like that anyway

Rage_Quitter

HSC

Well,

It does save the time to make the trip?

CecilyMare

HSC

Lol, hello school library.

even if not, be a nerd and go to the local library regularly.

Rage_Quitter

HSC

Bah,

No need. Just get the library to come to you. Use your centre of gravitational attraction to drag the local library, which is easier in the long-term.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Use your centre of gravitational attraction to drag the local library, which is easier in the long-term.
Of course, if you can master the usage of gravitational pull, you probably don't need to be doing your HSC. :)

future-doctor

HSC

Well apparently if you have Maths in Focus. You need to get another to get over 90.
Is Maths in Focus 'bad' compared to the other Maths textbook? That's the only textbook the school gave me. Sorry to hijack the forum, but any opinions? I might need to buy myself another book.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

Is Maths in Focus 'bad' compared to the other Maths textbook? That's the only textbook the school gave me. Sorry to hijack the forum, but any opinions? I might need to buy myself another book.
Apparently it only teaches the basics. Coroneos (even though it's fugly), Fitzpatrick or Cambridge (skip extension questions unless you're doing 3U) are good though :)

future-doctor

HSC

OH MAN!!! now i have to buy another maths txt book. So your saying that cambridge and the other books go into further detail about each mathematical concept or are you suggesting that the questions in 'maths in focus' are basic and will not prepare me well enough for the HSC?

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A

OH MAN!!! now i have to buy another maths txt book. So your saying that cambridge and the other books go into further detail about each mathematical concept or are you suggesting that the questions in 'maths in focus' are basic and will not prepare me well enough for the HSC?
your not the only one in this position.
I would check out http://community.boredofstudies.org/12/mathematics/91726/comparison-textbooks.html and http://community.boredofstudies.org...liminary-hsc/163942/textbook-maths-focus.html

future-doctor

HSC

Thanks man! repped.

I think the main problem with Maths in Focus is that the questions do not prepare you sufficiently for exams, from what i gather from the forums. Is that correct?

bubbrubb

HSC

that's a bit vague...

depends on the subject. A subject like maths you would only need your school textbook and a list of past test papers and thats probably all you would ever need to/have time for/ be bothered to do. (unless you are gunning for state rankings or so... in which case you probably want to do everything you possibly can).

english - you don't need nething obviously. school provides everything.

sciences - its nice to have extra resources to help write notes but a cheaper way is to scab other people's notes from school and Board of Studies and then make your own from it.

histories - your school would probably supply everything you need... pretty subjective.. depends on school + how in depth you want to learn.

eco and legal and stuff.. no

in actual fact... you don't need a various textbooks for most subjects but they can come in handy for making notes for science or when you want different style questions for maths.

I personally bought dotpoints for chemistry but ended up doing the first 5 pages and cbbing. You can get everything you need from free resources most of the time.

apple pancake

HSC

I bought the Physics excel book and biology in focus. Our teacher actually taught from my biology book so it was really halpful. I would not have got the marks i got last year without either of them.
ATAR: 90.15
Subjects
Mathematics - 80
Physics - 83
Biology - 91
Ancient History - 89
Advanced English - 83
But don't go and buy all the books. Most of them are a complete waste of money, like the advanced english books. Online resources are good too.
:sun:

sinophile

HSC
N/A

having many textbooks may help, though you don't necessarily have to buy them. just borrow them from your library or teacher.
yeah this is what i did. i borrowed textbooks from the library, renewed them after two and three weeks. on the fourth week i returned them, camped out at the library and borrowed them again on the same day.

lol

ilikebeeef

HSC

like excel, success one etc, non-school textbooks for certain subjects?
Not for me...

Well apparently if you have Maths in Focus. You need to get another to get over 90.
Yeah you do. Maths in Focus only teaches basics. The questions are too easy.

Today I bought 10 textbooks :p
What happened to use of school resources? :p

sinophile

HSC
N/A

Dude, don't use Maths in Focus. Its too easy so you'll be caught unawares by math exams.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC

Ouch,

If I bought 10 textbooks, I think my brother and my parents will rip me to bits and not go anywhere, apart from home and school, for the two years straight.

Gahh, how much did they cost?? Hmm?
bought them off this site. 10 for $150.

annarh-saur

HSC
Uni Grad

haha no. They were mostly for HSC and a 2 were for prelim.
ahh... thats ok then. I thought it was ALL for prelim. I got 40 books for both prelim and hsc :) my bookself is basically full. Hmm.. need another one :D

I got a library in my room :) YAY books ftw!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)