Is it plagiarism if...? (1 Viewer)

2KL4SKL

HSC
I take an idea of a story and use it for my story? Ok I don't mean same story, characters, themes, etc., I mean like, e.g., if I used a hot vampire and a girl in my story which is similar to Twilight (sorry, easiest e.g. I can think of). But the characters are different. So is it plagiarism if I sort of take the general idea?

estora

HSC
No, I shouldn't think so, but do you have any idea just how much this idea has been done? Well, in case you don't, it's been tragically done to death. I personally wouldn't recommend using vampires for your short story in the fear that it'll end up sounding like a Twilight fanfic. And quite frankly, basing anything of Twilight is a bad move. It's not the book has any themes or literary value. These days, people immediately associate vampires with Twilight and Twilight alone, which means that if you use them for your story chances are one of the markers are going to go, "Oh, GREAT, a Twilight fan....." Which is not what you want. Especially if the story sounds too close to Twilight anyway. The book is generic enough as it is: lonely city girl moves to hick town where she becomes amazingly popular but she just doesn't!fit!in! until she meets a mysterious man with whom she instantly connects with...

Kiim2507

HSC
I had to do a uni assignment on plagiarism and that isn't plagiarism. If it were then everyone in the world would be plagiarising because there are no more original ideas.

I would highly recomend not writing a story about vampires though...everyone knows about Twilight so it isn't very original and you will be marked down.

T

Take_It_Away

OK - so that means every student is going to fail HSC English. As if anyone can think of an idea that has never been used before. Ever.
From the 2007 HSC Notes From The Marking Centre for Paper 1 Section II:
(http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au...nced-notes.pdf)

"Some candidates were found to have reproduced, without acknowledgement, a substantial amount of sourced work, borrowing storyline, structure and/or language. These responses were regarded as limited in their appropriateness and received marks only for the parts of the response that were original. Candidates are reminded that responses must satisfy the requirements of the BOS ‘All Your Own Work’ policy."

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
^^They wouldn't know, you could probably get away with stealing an entire story if it's unknown enough. But the risks are too high...

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
The idea of the Ext 2 Project is to showcase your creativity. Using someone else's creativity as a basis for your story really does not fulfil the essence of the course. Certainly, you could use it to influence your new take, but I would make sure that it is new, fresh and VERY different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)