• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is it better to top Standard than to be doing averagely in Advanced? (1 Viewer)

ingeniarius

HSC
This doesn't apply to me since I'm doing extension, but I always hear from teachers and students at my school that 'It's better to top Standard than to do mediocre in Advanced!'. I was just wondering how much truth there is to the statement.
And I'm not talking about coming last in Advanced, just somewhere in the middle.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
They're wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
^Standard English aligns like crap compared to Advanced.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
i still don't get why teachers say choose subjects you can do good in not according to scaling considering the fact that top in eng std is not better than high in eng adv.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
i still don't get why teachers say choose subjects you can do good in not according to scaling considering the fact that top in eng std is not better than high in eng adv.
Lol, I did both. Picked my subjects based on what I like and the scaling.

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Really fluctuates based on quality of each cohort. If you top Standard then you will still need to back it up in the actual exam which is difficult due to aligning. I came 9/35 at a top 30 school but still got a moderated assessment mark of 81 and no one in our school got B6 - however, last year, we had a B6 so he pulled everyone's moderated assessment marks up and if I was in that year, I would've gotten 85 as my moderated based on school atar estimate. I think it is more safer to do averagely in Advance.

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't trust the teachers when they say that topping standard is better. It's safer to do advanced.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Tbh the way it ends up often, the person who tops standard would have been able to do quite a bit better than average if they did advanced.

But to answer the question a lot of people in advanced get b5 or above but not many do in standard so advanced is the better option usually.

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
I heard that standard aligns terribly. But do the course you're capable of. It's no use staying in advanced if you're struggling or too stressed.

I was contemplating dropping because my marks weren't too great. But this year I've started to work harder and gain help/advice off teacher and I feel a lot more capable of doing advanced.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
^ how would one know if they did not repeat the hsc doing a different level?

You may be able to tell if you compare two students .. Same subjects , same school , same rankings , same marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)