is anyone online i can ask 20 questions to? (1 Viewer)

amybaker1990

HSC
1. is it really that confusing to enrol in all ur lectures and tutorial and shiz..
cuz it sure looks it.lol

2. do we enrol before "0" week. i read somewhere i have to enrol 6th of feb?

3.how do we know wat classes to take etc. i wanna do communications. do we get two majors in on year, and can u add like anyothr study u want to like if i was doin comm. degree could i like minor in say latin as well as majoring in journalism and media studies

4. is it really this confusing grrr.

thats a start lol
thanks.

chamelia

HSC
1) At first it is overwhelming, but it's not to bad.

a) Go find your course here - Undergraduate Programs / Program Handbook / The University of Newcastle, Australia .
b) You will need to enroll in all the 1000 level courses for your degree.
c) Find out what date tutorial registration opens here - Registration dates / Enrolment / Study Options / The University of Newcastle, Australia
d) On the date specified log on here to enrol - Online Services - The University of Newcastle, Australia

Be quick to get the places you want. They go super fast!

2) Yes enrol now. As soon as you can. Get it over with. You can change your enrollments around if there are problems up to 2 weeks into the semester.

3) I am not sure about the specifics of the Communication course..however your degree guide I referred you to in 1a) will tell you your PRESCRIBED (you have to do) courses, ELECTIVE (courses from absolutely any part of the uni...you could do ANYTHING!) courses. It will also outline the majors you can choose from and what courses you need to do.

4) Yes. I was pretty much this confused as a first year!

And thanks :p hehe

em_516

bludging..
HSC
chamelia said:
Be quick to get the places you want. They go super fast!
Yes yes yes. Keep a close eye on the date and time to register for each course.

Tutorial registration is probably really only the most confusing thing you'll have to deal with though lol. Maybe it's changed now but they don't make it very clear that it has to be done, or when, or anything.

Yay, Newie forum is active again! I luv ewe guyz :shy:

amybaker1990

HSC
20 questions being a figure of speech

and thank you..

can i enrol before ive actually got my offer lol...???

like i'll prob get in coz my uai was 77 and its like a 78 to get in from last year and i have 4 rural points and 4 hsc subject bonus so i think im in..

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
amybaker1990 said:
No, that's absurd.

amybaker1990 said:
p.s is there a way i can find out wat text books i'll need now???
Afaik, no. There's no point. Most textbooks are unnecessary and not worth buying regardless.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
amybaker1990 said:
Um, no. Just come into the uni when/if you get your offer and people will help you with enrolment.

amybaker1990 said:
p.s is there a way i can find out wat text books i'll need now???
Amy, no. You haven't even got your offer yet. Your excitement is...er, refreshing, but don't worry about anything until you actually get an offer to study. Unless you bury yourself in a hole for the next 3 months, there will be plenty of communication from the uni about what to do. If all else fails, ask us here.

Last edited:

amybaker1990

HSC
.. i just questioned bcoz the reply i got was enrol now...
and i was like ahh??
hmmm

and re: textbooks??

surely there must be a reason for them ....
whats the point of having them then

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
amybaker1990 said:
.. i just questioned bcoz the reply i got was enrol now...
and i was like ahh??
hmmm
I thought offers would be out and done, sorry.

amybaker1990 said:
There is often no point. Don't buy any text books before your first lectures. I've had many lectures say they're not necessary.

blue_chameleon

HSC
amybaker1990 said:
and re: textbooks??

What Graney said isn't entirely true. He is pretty fantastic though, you shouldn't let his condition fool you.

Some courses rely on the textbook for course material, and other courses use it as a reference to the lecture material and/or further research. Some courses you might use your textbooks every week during tutorials, other courses you will struggle to find the relevance of reading it at all.

It depends on the course. For example, Basic Accounting uses textbooks as the primary source of learning through homework questions and worked solutions. In a Business Statistics course, however, most people would see any textbook they bought just gather dust.

amybaker1990

HSC
awwww ok...
fair enuf

are classes and lectures and shiz available at different times so if u cant make it to one in a certain day because like u have to work can u do the same class on a different day??

blue_chameleon

HSC
amybaker1990 said:
awwww ok...
fair enuf

are classes and lectures and shiz available at different times so if u cant make it to one in a certain day because like u have to work can u do the same class on a different day??
I guess it depends on the course. For Commerce/Business though, lectures are usually only scheduled once a week, so if you miss it, you'll need to catch up. Tutes though, are offered on numerous different times across the week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)