is anyone online i can ask 20 questions to? (1 Viewer)

~untitled~

HSC
Don't go jumping in and buying everything before you actually know you've gotten in, UAIs can fluctuate by heaps of points each year so you could end up wasting hundreds of dollars.

Lol, no you can't enrol before the uni has even accepted you, that's just silly.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
some courses i'd have had no hope in hell of passing without the textbook, whilst others i never needed to open it.
you will soon discover those which u need and those u dont. in general though (for me at least) first year textbooks are normally the most used for two reasons:
i) they're basic and so are helpful as refreshers as u continue through ur course
ii) since 1000 level courses are usually quite populated there's often not heaps of teacher-student contact, and a textbook can be a reasonable substitute.

chamelia

HSC
They are rightio - hold off on purchasing any textbooks until at least your first/second week in. Most textbooks you will need are available on campus @ the bookshop. And if you get in quick - one of the libraries.

icelillies

In the twisted branches of the faraway tree
HSC
I heard that some sections from text books are quickly out dated due to changing legistlation, etc (a past Law student stressed the questionable validity of text books due to their habitual expiration).

I know this is going to be a really stupid q - but what is 1000 level???is that meant to signify the begining level for a subject in a course????

And also (my friend advised) to try and do the later (and so more intense) levels of a subject....for example I want to do an arts degree (politics and policy, and international relations) - how would I differentiate between a 3rd year componant as opposed to a first year in each major?????

*hopefully that makes sense*

Thanks

Okay - just one more question! I haven't recieved my acceptance letter yet - but I read a thread bout enroling in lecturers/subjects/or something - around about now. I went to UNCLE's website to actually log in - but then it asked for a 'username' - how am I meant to get that?

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
icelillies said:
I heard that some sections from text books are quickly out dated due to changing legistlation, etc (a past Law student stressed the questionable validity of text books due to their habitual expiration).
Yeah, that's one of the reasons you don't buy textbooks before semester starts, lecturers will tell you if you're in a discipline that is changing so frequently it's not worth buying the textbook. In which case they'll give you ample lecture notes in class.

icelillies said:
I know this is going to be a really stupid q - but what is 1000 level???is that meant to signify the begining level for a subject in a course????
1000 level means 1st year, introductory etc...
2000 level means 2nd year level
3000 level means 3rd year level etc...

Then they have the course codes like 1010, 1216, 1350 etc... would be 1st year courses, 2060, 2134 etc... would be 2nd year etc...

Check the subject descriptions for 2000 and above level courses and see if they have prerequisite courses you're recommended to study. If not you can mix them up and do them in any order, but yeah, the higher levels do get a little more intense. If you work hard you'll manage. 2nd year courses with no prerequisites are often harmless.

icelillies

HSC
Graney said:
Yeah, that's one of the reasons you don't buy textbooks before semester starts, lecturers will tell you if you're in a discipline that is changing so frequently it's not worth buying the textbook. In which case they'll give you ample lecture notes in class.

1000 level means 1st year, introductory etc...
2000 level means 2nd year level
3000 level means 3rd year level etc...

Then they have the course codes like 1010, 1216, 1350 etc... would be 1st year courses, 2060, 2134 etc... would be 2nd year etc...

Check the subject descriptions for 2000 and above level courses and see if they have prerequisite courses you're recommended to study. If not you can mix them up and do them in any order, but yeah, the higher levels do get a little more intense. If you work hard you'll manage. 2nd year courses with no prerequisites are often harmless.
Thanks Graney...I appreciate it :)

Last edited:
T

Troy2287

This enrolling stuff sounds complex. Does this mean we have to enrol for every lecture and tutorial per semester? Can it be done online?

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
it's all online. u usually dont have to enrol for lectures (however, first year education required lecture enrolment. this was mostly because there was so many people doing the course and they needed to know numbers that were going to the morning rather than evening lecture. That said, nothing stopped u from going to either).

Either way, pretty much assume that tutorials and labs are all u need to enrol for.

icelillies

HSC
Hmmm...I've been looking through the electives in the two majors (politics and policy, and international affairs) and I've noted quite a few of the course state 'previously offered in blah blah blah' but they don't mention offering it for '09. Does that mean it won't be offered??(so the system won't be updated inorder to make it available):evilfire: .
The rest of the electives mostly have the added 'available in 2009'...

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
icelillies said:
Hmmm...I've been looking through the electives in the two majors (politics and policy, and international affairs) and I've noted quite a few of the course state 'previously offered in blah blah blah' but they don't mention offering it for '09. Does that mean it won't be offered??(so the system won't be updated inorder to make it available):evilfire: .
The rest of the electives mostly have the added 'available in 2009'...
Yeah, a few programs are being restructured from last year, hence they are cutting some courses and creating new ones.

Happens across all faculties.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)