Is anyone else completely overwhelmed with the cost?? (1 Viewer)

m@ds

I am not talking HECS here...I'm talking textbooks. I knew they were gonna be expensive, but on top of books I need a Law Dictionary, supplementary readings, a copy of the Constitution, etc. Has anyone considered taking out a loan (seriously), and do you know what grounds banks will grant you a loan on to assist with studies? Do you have to earn a certain amount, etc? My parents earn over the threshold for me to get youth allowance but there is no way in hell we won't struggle to get me through Uni, and while I work part-time I don't earn enough to pay for Uni + my own expenses!

Anyone else feeling a bit bummed about the whole money side of things??

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by melbournian
I would just have no idea where you would get one? Maybe even contact your local federal member of parliament, they could probably get you a free copy if you do not want to buy it.
I am sure that if you went to see your head of faculty, that they would put you on the right track. They would probably sell them at your University.

As for me, my parents are paying for everything except for my HECS:).

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
UNI costs are overwhelming. I only ever really thought about how I'd pay HECS...then I turn up and have to worry about textbooks, transport, a whole score of other overpriced materials.
It makes you realllly appreciate how easy sailing high school was!

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by m@ds
I am not talking HECS here...I'm talking textbooks. I knew they were gonna be expensive, but on top of books I need a Law Dictionary, supplementary readings, a copy of the Constitution, etc. Has anyone considered taking out a loan (seriously), and do you know what grounds banks will grant you a loan on to assist with studies? Do you have to earn a certain amount, etc? My parents earn over the threshold for me to get youth allowance but there is no way in hell we won't struggle to get me through Uni, and while I work part-time I don't earn enough to pay for Uni + my own expenses!

Anyone else feeling a bit bummed about the whole money side of things??
constituions free...easily accessible in the library and the law handbook they gave us had a site for a copy of free constitution. (it was $5 anyway compared to sum gay books i had in accounting which was $100+ each)
the supplementary readings were a RIPOFF! $30 for photocopied scrap! piss me off :chainsaw:
loan?...yea im taking out an interest free loan from my parents......all i have to do is pay it off after i seek employment

:mad1:

but yea costs are crazy!!!!!!!!
but what suprised me was that the law text didnt cost "that much", not compared to other books anywayz, maybe its only first year :(

santaslayer

HSC
oh yea, r law dictionaries vitally important?......coz im thinking that even if i didnt understand a word all i do is go ask a tutor/lecturer/or student right? or do i really need it?

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
have you tried second hand book shops..?

and ask your uni about a loan, i know uts gives you an interest-free loan of 500 dollars for six months i think.

and yes you need to qualify for a loan from a bank, and it's not easy unless you work a fair bit and have a decent amount of savings. people mostly get [big] loans for cars and houses though..

izi

HSC
my costs are HUGE! after i finished my HSC i worked all summer (no schoolies for me), so i had money to pay for it. but still i was not so happy when i found out some of the price tags:

veterinary physiology textbook $200
anatomy of the dog textbook $260
the rest of the textbooks + unit of study handbooks approx $700
surgical kit $500
farm clothing $150
dissection kit + stethoscope + thermometer $100

theres more, LOTS more. and theres lots more textbooks to come in the next 4 years. my boyfriend (at the time) bought me a veterinary dictionary and i use it all the time, so get a dictionary in whatever faculty you are at, its the best investment you will make!

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
*wonders what is going on in asqy's sick perverted mind*
:rolleyes: :D

Ribbon

holy crap izi... I thought my $420 worth of textbooks was alot!

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
law dictionary is a must !

when reading cases when your not used to reading cases can be tricky at first ...your lecturer or tut person should tell you to get A LEGAL DICTIONARY

preferable the butterworths concise legal dictionary ...the green one!

oooh, i've got that, its' still wrapped in its plastic :D:p

alman

Originally posted by izi
my costs are HUGE! after i finished my HSC i worked all summer (no schoolies for me), so i had money to pay for it. but still i was not so happy when i found out some of the price tags:

veterinary physiology textbook $200
anatomy of the dog textbook $260
the rest of the textbooks + unit of study handbooks approx $700
surgical kit $500
farm clothing $150
dissection kit + stethoscope + thermometer $100
im glad that im not doing vet sci (though sizing up a course based on textbook cost isnt a good thing)...its interesting but at least the equipment can be used for a long time...

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Mines over $600 at the moment, but I only have two books for Law, and from what I'm reading it looks as if I'm going to need more.. (dictionary and such..) :(

alman

Originally posted by honky tonk
Mines over $600 at the moment, but I only have two books for Law, and from what I'm reading it looks as if I'm going to need more.. (dictionary and such..) :(
what is the deal with usyd? we only have one book + reading materials...

it was $60 for this tiny green book wrapped in plastic....cost price was probably $10 :p

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Originally posted by alman
what is the deal with usyd? we only have one book + reading materials...

it was $60 for this tiny green book wrapped in plastic....cost price was probably $10 :p
My books were "Criminal Laws" and "Practical Legal Skills". The latter is generic, and isn't actually used in the Law lectures, so I basically just have one $110, mighty big Law textbook. :p

Matthew_152

yeah...with second hand books, will u be disadvantaged by not having updated information. for example...in economics texts, stats are probably updated each year.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Depends on the course, really.. some - like Biology - allow 3rd, 4th and 5th editions of textbooks because the info is the same, whereas others require the most recent textbook.

But don't forget, second-hand textbooks could still be the most up-to-date version. :)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by honky tonk
Depends on the course, really.. some - like Biology - allow 3rd, 4th and 5th editions of textbooks because the info is the same, whereas others require the most recent textbook.

But don't forget, second-hand textbooks could still be the most up-to-date version. :)
yep, and things like mathematic hasn't changed ever since newton... :D

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i'm lucky with my texts, i don't have that many.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)