Is a 6 figure salary possible with a CS or SE degree? (1 Viewer)

turntaker

HSC
Dude don't reply if youre gonna shitpost

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Is python be a low level language?
I have no idea what Python consists of so not sure.

Also, I'm a bit tired but I should have made it clear earlier that it is best to rank the languages in order of levels rather than classifying as low/intermediate/high.

Lower levels meaning that it has a lot more fundamentals, and is much more dependent on the hardware and circuitry involved.

For example, assembly languages depend on the circuits which can compile and arrange data in memory. To make compilers that deal with running applications, you need assemble languages.

Dude stop derailing this

But srsly.. How is a 6 figure salary not special?? That's way more than what the average income is. I think you just wanna start some stupid debate
That actually wasn't a derail. We derailed ages ago but that's simply because the title of this thread was useless anyway.

Tbh, I have already said this before, but if you don't love what you do then its not worth the money.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
yes of course. I hope to do it ;)

but CS and SE is opening up a lot and booming so I see it as a possibility
Enjoy never leaving work; work will always come to you. Better stock up on the caffeine now in preparation for it.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
More specifically, C#. Microsofts implementation w/ its environment. Search up C# on seek, then compare the number of results to C++. Though, you'd most likely know both if you were a decent programmer.
C sharp is used more in development and design where it takes preference to assembly languages

m8 I am 1st year student; obviously I don't know nothing yet let alone a 12vie

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
The amount of misinformation in this thread is astounding.

C sharp is used more in development and design where it takes preference to assembly languages
"Assembly languages" refers to a very specific type of very low level language, where language keywords translate more-or-less directly into binary commands. No one is using assembly for anything that's not bit-twiddling at the microprocessor level. Example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_language#Assembly_language

Though, you'd most likely know both if you were a decent programmer.
You don't have to know any specific language(s) to be a decent programmer.

Is python be a low level language?
Fuck no. Python is a very high-level language (VHLL). It is difficult to get higher-level than python.

C++ is more commonly used but they are very similar
Syntactically, yes, but C++ is a whole different beast to C. I used to think that C++ was just C with classes until I started programming C++ professionally. C++ is a behemoth of a language. Some say that it's actually four different languages rolled into one -- a procedural language (from its roots in C), an OO language, a functional language (it has first-order and anonymous functions, parameter binding, ...) and a template metaprogramming language. C++ also has many features that very few other languages have, including const-correctness, genuine pass-by-reference (as opposed to Java's "pass-by-reference" which is more like pass-by-value-of-reference but the average programmer isn't even aware of this distinction), scope-based resource management, and a shitload of C++-exclusive idioms like PIMPL.

Use cases for C and C++ don't overlap much. C is primarily used for embedded systems. C++ is mostly used for games and back-end systems where low latency is a priority.

Also from what I have heard from a friend, assembly languages utilise some things from C. A lot of languages I can imagine do utilise things from C.
Assembly languages don't really use things from C. Most assembly languages predate C. If anything. C uses things from assembly languages.

Java is more high level and is the reason why some people consider it more "useful".
"Useful" in certain cases, not in general. You wouldn't write an OS kernel in Java.

However, a real programmer would want to go into as much low level as possible, because really that is where you find primitive techniques in programming and where you also learn how everything in the computer works together.
A "real programmer" uses the best tool for the job.

Why does UNSW teach C instead of Java.. o.o

C is so useless
C is the precursor to almost every procedural and OO language used nowadays. If you understand C, you can learn most other languages. UNSW also teaches Java and a bunch of other languages.

If UNSW didn't teach C, you'd have a bunch of incompetent graduates who don't understand how pointers work.

I agree with what you said. I said C was useless since it's so old and most jobs don't require C
A CS degree isn't teaching you the skills you need to get employed. It's teaching you computer science.

I know it is wrong to do it for the money. But it would be good to know how much you can get paid by doing the thing you like.
Salaries for pure software engineering roles cap at about $250k-$300k.

C and C++ is the main languages used anyways in CS and SE and pretty much all of engineering
citation needed

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
More specifically, C#. Microsofts implementation w/ its environment. Search up C# on seek, then compare the number of results to C++. Though, you'd most likely know both if you were a decent programmer.
If anything C# is Microsoft's implementation of Java, has its roots in Java and much closer to Java than C or C++. That's still not really a fair comparison though as Java and C# have diverged a lot in the last ten years.

Also, this is a relevant, good read: http://joelonsoftware.com/articles/ThePerilsofJavaSchools.html

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Well a 6 figure salary is possible without even going to Uni, its not about the money anyway
This is probably one of the biggest misconceptions regarding jobs - they are about money. Sure, you do have to like what you do, but at the end of the day, making money is what work is all about (and salary still has an impact on motivation despite what new age thinkers might believe). People think that money is a shallow goal, because they dont understand what money can buy. It isnt about having a great car, going on holidays or having a nice house, it's about financial security for you and a family (should you pursue that), which makes life quite a bit easier. I pursue the almighty dollar because I want the peace of mind that comes with financial security. If I didnt care about money, I wouldnt have outlaid $35,000 for a degree. I would just take the most easy going and stress free job I could find.

Almost a million people in Australia earn 6 figures.

Get rid of people under 25 and dropkicks and it's really not special.
This pretty much - $100,000 a year equates to just under $2,000 a week, which will net you maybe $1,400 in the hand after the ATO is done with you. If you rent/have a mortgage, that isnt exactly mega money.

When you start becoming financially independant, you realise quickly that life is one giant black hole of expenses. Nearly everyone wants some of your money and often they want it for nothing (I have paid so many "fees" for things where I have thought "Why exactly am I giving you this money?"). Believe me, that $1,400 doesnt stretch much.

Last edited:

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
This is probably one of the biggest misconceptions regarding jobs - they are about money. Sure, you do have to like what you do, but at the end of the day, making money is what work is all about (and salary still has an impact on motivation despite what new age thinkers might believe). People think that money is a shallow goal, because they dont understand what money can buy. It isnt about having a great car, going on holidays or having a nice house, it's about financial security for you and a family (should you pursue that), which makes life quite a bit easier. I pursue the almighty dollar because I want the peace of mind that comes with financial security. If I didnt care about money, I wouldnt have outlaid $35,000 for a degree. I would just take the most easy going and stress free job I could find.

This pretty much - $100,000 a year equates to just under $2,000 a week, which will net you maybe $1,400 in the hand after the ATO is done with you. If you rent/have a mortgage, that isnt exactly mega money.

When you start becoming financially independant, you realise quickly that life is one giant black hole of expenses. Nearly everyone wants some of your money and often they want it for nothing (I have paid so many "fees" for things where I have thought "Why exactly am I giving you this money?"). Believe me, that $1,400 doesnt stretch much.
Holy crap, it's enoilgam! I remember your name from when I was doing my HSC back in 2011, I think you wrote some SoR notes and went to Marist, legend dude! :) (PS: My SoR marks never counted, I did 1 unit, and all my other subjects scaled higher - did 11 units all up).

Are you paying off your own place now? Sounds like you're in deep with a lot of expenses :/ :eek:

enoilgam

HSC
Holy crap, it's enoilgam! I remember your name from when I was doing my HSC back in 2011, I think you wrote some SoR notes and went to Marist, legend dude! :) (PS: My SoR marks never counted, I did 1 unit, and all my other subjects scaled higher - did 11 units all up).
I'm still around - my SOR didnt count as well despite the fact that I got a Band 6 for it (my mid-band 5 in economics counted over it).

Are you paying off your own place now? Sounds like you're in deep with a lot of expenses :/ :eek:
I dont have a property at the moment, but I'm aiming to buy before the end of next year. I'm in a position to buy at the moment, but I want to get a more permanent/long term contract role before I do (I'm working on a short term project role at the moment).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)