Is 4U really that hard (1 Viewer)

petermik

HSC
Since im in yr 11 im wondering to do 4 unit or not next term.
1. Because im getting 90+ in 3U but just passing 2U- lack of study
2. Love maths
3. Mr Arnold who wrote the 4unit cambridge textbook will be teaching us 3U class is separate
4. 1-4 people will be doing it
5. I can drop 2 subjects = more frees/ study periods

HSC
It seems like you're very keen - GO FOR YOUR LIFE!

Godmode

Activated
HSC
You should definitely give it a go, especially since you mentioned you have a passion for maths. I also believe having one of the Arnolds teaching you is a serious bonus. My own MX2 teacher said he was leagues ahead of him in terms of both mathematical ability, and skill at teaching the course, and my teacher is still pretty damn good in his own right.

I wouldn't worry about the class size too much, I'm in a class of two (started with 3) and to be honest, its the class that worries me the least, as although I may be generalising, MX2 students tend to be more reliable, and at least it means you only have a small number of students to look out for after the trials.

Like you, I never really cared about 2U, my focus was showing I could handle the higher level content of both 3U and at that stage, 4U. I've found that the higher order problem solving skills in 4U helped me pull up my 2U marks. In prelim 2U I was averaging ~90 but in every 2U test so far this year (i haven't done the trial yet), I've gotten full marks (not trying to brag or anything, 4U has seriously been a help for me lol).

tl;dr: fuggen do it

petermik

HSC
Ive been taught by every arnold actually ! I see his son often too

Yeah ill definitely give it a go ! will use all my potential

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Definitely give it a go. 4U is too over-hyped. Too often I see friends not pick it due to the "perceived difficulty of I need to study 4U 6 hours a day or something crazy like that". You can always drop it. If you are consistent with your work you will get a solid mark. There are numerous amounts of resources to help you.

Zeroes

HSC
It's certainly not as hard as it's made out to be. Like everyone else has said, definitely give it a go.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
I experienced the same dilemma in year 11, and looking back I can say with absolute certainty that not doing 4U was one of the worst decisions I have ever made.

Do it petermilk, do it for me.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
You have to be careful though...

You said you will drop 2 subjects and do 4U, so Im assuming you will have 10 units when you do 4U. This can be a big problem, if you find out you suck really badly at 4U, then its all for nothing really.

I suggest that you DO do 4U, however you keep one of the subjects that you were going to drop until the 4U HYE, if you feel like you did well enough in the 4U HYE, I think it would be safe to drop to 10 units.

Im just saying, that if you are going to do 4U, dont be so rash in dropping subjects.

billym

HSC
You have to be careful though...

You said you will drop 2 subjects and do 4U, so Im assuming you will have 10 units when you do 4U. This can be a big problem, if you find out you suck really badly at 4U, then its all for nothing really.

I suggest that you DO do 4U, however you keep one of the subjects that you were going to drop until the 4U HYE, if you feel like you did well enough in the 4U HYE, I think it would be safe to drop to 10 units.

Im just saying, that if you are going to do 4U, dont be so rash in dropping subjects.
Absolutely agree with this.

Seems like you've got a solid background and the potential to do well in 4U, but don't take it for granted and don't immediately drop to 10 units after you've picked up 4U.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Since im in yr 11 im wondering to do 4 unit or not next term.
1. Because im getting 90+ in 3U but just passing 2U- lack of study
2. Love maths
3. Mr Arnold who wrote the 4unit cambridge textbook will be teaching us 3U class is separate
4. 1-4 people will be doing it
5. I can drop 2 subjects = more frees/ study periods
Do it.

lolcakes52

HSC
I would usually encourage you but I hardly studied 2 unit in year 11 and got 100% every exam. It makes it seem like you have to study a lot for whatever reason and can be put off by spin-ball questions. 4 unit is essentially spin-ball questions every step of the way, so if you can't handle them then it will be a huge increase in workload.

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
Everything is hard if you don't try and put the effort

lolcakes52

HSC
I guess go for it but remember that it gets harder to drop the longer you do it as you miss out on more 2 unit exams, well at my school anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)