Is 3 Unit Mathematics for Dumb People? (1 Viewer)

nisseltaria

HSC
4-unit is more about "Do I have time?" than "Can I learn this?". If you are capable of doing 2-unit, then you are capable of doing 4-unit. The difference is the amount of time you put in. Depending on your natural aptitude and your educational background you may need to put more or less work in than others. You should make decisions about which maths to do based around balancing your studies to minimise stress and maximise results not around whether the people in your school think 3-unit is for stupid people. They don't know what other time commitments you have so they can't make informed comments.

You should focus on keeping your own life in balance and if doing 3-unit instead of 4-unit helps you to do that it will also help you to perform better overall. You will get an ATAR based upon your marks from every subject not which maths course you did. And if you do very well on 3-unit, while using the increase in free time from dropping 4-unit to boost your marks in other subjects you will get a higher ATAR from the combination.

(There are dumb people everywhere, even in Hons stream maths courses at uni. You only start to lose them a semester or two in.)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
But choosing 4U with the knowledge that you can do it with "time" jeopardises both maths and your other subjects. People who are capable of 2U doesn't not mean they are capable of 4U.

I don't know how 3U can be considered dumb. I go to a selective school and there's no sentiment towards it.

blackops23

HSC
4-unit is more about "Do I have time?" than "Can I learn this?". If you are capable of doing 2-unit, then you are capable of doing 4-unit. The difference is the amount of time you put in. Depending on your natural aptitude and your educational background you may need to put more or less work in than others. You should make decisions about which maths to do based around balancing your studies to minimise stress and maximise results not around whether the people in your school think 3-unit is for stupid people. They don't know what other time commitments you have so they can't make informed comments.

You should focus on keeping your own life in balance and if doing 3-unit instead of 4-unit helps you to do that it will also help you to perform better overall. You will get an ATAR based upon your marks from every subject not which maths course you did. And if you do very well on 3-unit, while using the increase in free time from dropping 4-unit to boost your marks in other subjects you will get a higher ATAR from the combination.

(There are dumb people everywhere, even in Hons stream maths courses at uni. You only start to lose them a semester or two in.)
oF COURSE ppl doing 2unit can do 4unit. Doesn't mean they are going to get good marks.... to be successful in 4U you need to be a RELATIVELY fast learner, you should also be able to identify and note patterns and relationships in a given questions MUCH MUCH MUCH quicker and faster than a regular 2U student.

Entity

HSC
You can do any level of maths if you put enough practice into it - a person who works harder than one who is talented usually gets better marks. And if you're talented and you work hard - Even better. I do 3U maths in my school, there are all of 4 people doing it in my year, and although we're not the BEST, we enjoy the subject. HSC isn't the end of the world anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)