Iron chef (1 Viewer)

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
Trogie said:
boo, the iron chef's never lose! replaying an old episode to get our hopes up
they have lost once. against a challenger who recovered from a misfortune. its just the judges giving him acting with sympathy

X

xeuyrawp

noneother said:
they have lost once. against a challenger who recovered from a misfortune. its just the judges giving him acting with sympathy
yes they have, dude. I can note 3 separate occasions, excluding tonight.

Then again, I've seen most of them.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah knife man was cool....

And how cool were the roses.... next time I have a tomato in hand I will try and do that, I'm sure the results will be hilarious.

minalata

HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
Y
And how cool were the roses.... next time I have a tomato in hand I will try and do that, I'm sure the results will be hilarious.
one time the challenger made a pheonix from a cucumber..... AND IT LOOKED PRETTY GOOD TOO

X

xeuyrawp

minalata said:
one time the challenger made a pheonix from a cucumber..... AND IT LOOKED PRETTY GOOD TOO
I remember that, I like it when they set the dish out to look like something.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
someone also carved a pagoda from a carrot once, that looked cool, even if it wasnt supposed to be eaten

edit: all the iron chef eps are repeats considering the show ended in 99 in japan. in the final episode, the 4 iron chef was pitted against eachother and sakai came out on top, his overall record was:
86 battles - 70 wins, 15 losses, 1 tied

this is from some website - a wealth of information:

Iron Chef is a Japanese television program made by FujiTV. The original Japanese title is Ryori no tetsujin (料理の鉄人, Iron men of cookery). It began airing in 1993 as a half-hour show, and was soon expanded to a one-hour format.

Each episode presents a culinary battle between two chefs in "Kitchen Stadium". A contestant, usually a famous chef from Japan or elsewhere, is pitted against one of the show's four "Iron Chefs". Each of the Iron Chefs is an expert in a different cuisine, either Japanese, Chinese, French, or Italian. The chefs have just one hour to complete their dishes; at the end of the hour, a panel of Japanese celebrities tastes and rates the dishes and crowns a victor.

The flamboyant host, Takeshi Kaga (鹿賀丈史) (known on the show as Chairman Kaga), and extravagant production values, contrasted with curiously pedestrian voice-over narration and polite but generally insipid commentary from the judges, not all of whom are food professionals ("This is really very good"), contribute to the eccentric style of the show.

Almost all battles require the opponents to cook a multicourse meal in which a special theme ingredient plays a starring role. The winner is said to be the chef who best expresses the unique qualities of the theme ingredient. Many theme ingredients reflect the Japanese nature of the show, for example, River Eel, Tofu, udon, and others. Ingredients more familiar in the west, like green peppers, summer corn, or peaches are commonly spotlighted as well. Featured ingredients tend toward the exotic and expensive.

Originally, the panel consisted of three judges, and contained preliminary battles for challengers to earn the right to face an Iron Chef. Later, the panel expanded to four. Since ties were now possible, each judge scored each chef's dishes on a 20-point scale. If the judges were deadlocked 2–2, the first tiebreaker was total points. If the point total was also level, the chefs would immediately begin an overtime period, with a new theme ingredient and only 30 minutes to complete their dishes. The overtime aired as a separate episode. On one occasion, the judges deadlocked 2–2 and on points after the overtime; the host Takeshi Kaga then declared both the Iron Chef and his challenger as winners.

List of Iron Chefs

These are the Iron Chefs who have appeared on the show (some have retired and have been replaced by successor iron chefs):

* Iron Chef Chinese Chen Kenichi (陳建一)
* Iron Chef French (I) Yutake Ishinabe (石鍋裕)
* Iron Chef French (II) Hiroyuki Sakai (坂井宏行)
* Iron Chef Italian Masahiko Kobe (神戸勝彦)
* Iron Chef Japanese (I) Rokusaburo Michiba (道�*��*三郎)
* Iron Chef Japanese (II) Koumei Nakamura (�*村�*�明)
* Iron Chef Japanese (III) Masaharu Morimoto (森本�*�治)

Notable challengers

Certain challengers have made repeat appearances, or have been particularly memorable.

(Please note that these names are not in the traditional Japanese style [i.e. family name first] but have been Romanized.)

* Kazuhiko Tei - First chef to ever win against an Iron Chef in Battle Octopus
* Tadamichi Ota - leader of the "Ota Faction" of traditional Japanese chefs. The Ota Faction regularly challenged Iron Chef Morimoto and his neo-Japanese style. Ota Faction was the name used in the translated version shown on FoodTV. In the original Japanese version shown in the US and transcribe by the Iron Chef Reporter in southern California the group is called Ota’s Party of Heaven and Earth, OPHE.
* Kyouko Kagata - The first female chef to appear on the show, she was also the youngest chef to be victorious.
* Toshiro Kandagawa - regular challenger who aligned himself with the Ota Faction. Kandagawa has taken part in seven battles as a chef.
* Bobby Flay - A well-known American chef, Flay entered into a bit of a rivalry with Iron Chef Japanese Morimoto during the show's special New York Battle. Morimoto took exception to Flay's behavior, specifically when Flay stood on his cutting board at the end of the battle. Morimoto won, and Flay demanded a rematch. He got his wish, and his revenge, in the 21st Century Battle in Japan. Flay is now an Iron Chef on Iron Chef America.
* Ron Siegel - Then of Charles Nob Hill in San Francisco. In Battle Lobster, became the first chef from outside Asia or Europe to defeat an Iron Chef (Hiroyuki Sakai).

Notable judges

Diehard fans note that a given show will be greatly influenced by the lineup of judges, which changes from show to show. A list of some of the more memorable judges includes:

(Please note that these names are not in the traditional Japanese style [i.e. family name first] but have been Romanized.)

* Jackie Chan, actor, director, martial artist
* Asako Kishi, aka the "East German Judge", a food critic and nutritionist
* Shinichiro Kurimoto, politician (lower house member)
* Chua Lam, VP of Golden Harvest
* Kazuko Hosoki, popular fortune teller and holder of the World Record for Most Best-selling Books (81 books)
* Korn, a rap artist
* Tamio Kageyama, novelist
* Yasushi Akimoto, photographer
* Kazuhiro Sasaki, baseball player (then with Yokohama BayStars, later with Seattle Mariners, still later returned to BayStars)
* Nagisa Oshima, film director

Show staff

* Kenji Fukui, Announcer
* Dr. Yukio Hattori, Commentator
* Shinichiro Ohta, Kitchen Reporter

Broadcast history

The stage setting for the show, "Kitchen Stadium" (�*ッチンスタジア�*), the high-quality (and sometimes very expensive) ingredients used in the cooking battles, and Kaga's extravagant costumes required the show to have a budget far higher than that of most other cooking shows. Some statistics: 893 foie gras, 54 sea breams, 827 Ise shrimp, 964 matsutake mushrooms, 4,593 eggs, 1,489 truffles, 4,651 grams of caviar, and 84 pieces of shark fin were used during the show bringing the total grocery bill to 843,354,407 yen (or about $8,000,000). Chairman Kaga, who tried every dish created consumed a total of 2,389,995 calories. Aired as a prime-time TV show, the series lasted for six years with over 300 episodes, with the final regular season episode broadcast in September of 1999.

Spoiler warning: Plot or ending details follow.

For the show's grand finale, the Iron Chefs faced off against each other, and the final winner was dubbed the "King of Iron Chefs". The ultimate victor in this contest was Iron Chef French, Hiroyuki Sakai.

There were two reunion specials produced in 2000. The first was "The Millennium Special" and the second was "New York Special" in which the show was staged in a makeshift Kitchen Stadium in New York City, and was the first appearance of Bobby Flay. Another reunion episode of the show (entitled "Iron Chef: 21st Century Battle") was produced and broadcast in 2001. A final reunion episode was produced and broadcast in 2002, entitled "The Japan Cup".

The show is presented in the US on the Food Network, and on SBS TV in Australia, dubbed and/or subtitled into English.

10 Best Dishes

(These dishes were picked by Chairman Kaga as the 10 Best Dishes out of about 2,500 during the course of the show)

* Foie Gras Kanpon (Iron Chef Rokusaburo Michiba)
* Thinly Sliced Sea Bream with Smoked Organs (Challenger Toshio Tanabe)
* Roti of Homard with Vanilla Lindenbaum Flavoring (Challenger Pierre Ganiére)
* Cocotte of Bacon and Country-Style Cabbage (Challenger Philippe Batton)
* Ayu and Watermelon Mousse (Iron Chef Chen Kenichi)
* Yellowtail with Daikon Radish (Challenger Fumiaki Sato)
* Chinese Cabbage with Mustard (Challenger Sai Gyokubun)
* Roasted Duck Stuffed with Foie Gras (Challenger Dominique Corby)
* Homard Steamed with Seaweed (Iron Chef Hiroyuki Sakai)
* Ronkonkai Chicken �* la Dragee (Challenger Alain Passard)

Related shows

The UPN network in the US presented two one hour episodes of Iron Chef USA hosted by William Shatner around Christmas of 2001. These shows were not a success. This may be because the show focused little on cooking—a major part of the Japanese program. The show had a small audience section in bleachers. The audience yelled relentlessly during the show (sounding much like a sports audience), Shatner walked around the kitchen sampling the more expensive items, the chefs refused to say what they were doing, and the cameras rarely showed the food preparation.

In 2004, Food Network announced that they would show an Iron Chef special, called "Iron Chef America: Battle of the Masters", featuring Sakai and Morimoto dueling with American Iron Chefs Bobby Flay, Mario Batali, and Wolfgang Puck, all Food Network personalities and renowned American celebrity chefs. (Morimoto and Flay battled in two previous Iron Chef specials that were made after the original series aired.) The specials featured fellow Food Network personality Alton Brown as the announcer and actor Mark Dacascos playing the role of The Chairman. Dacascos is the nephew of Takeshi Kaga, who is the brother of Dacascos's mother, Moriko McVey.

The show received high ratings and rave reviews, and in October 2004, Food Network began filming weekly episodes that premiered starting in January 2005. Some changes were made to the show, most notably replacing Puck with Morimoto as an Iron Chef, and the filming location was moved from Los Angeles to New York City.

Last edited:

v sia

HSC
okay ive got 1 question , how does a challenger become an iron chef ??
or how do iron chefs like not become iron chef's anymore ?? if they lost too much do they get demoted ???

HSC
v sia said:
okay ive got 1 question , how does a challenger become an iron chef ??
or how do iron chefs like not become iron chef's anymore ?? if they lost too much do they get demoted ???
(please correct me if i'm wrong):

i don't think a challenger can succeed an iron chef, if a challenger defeats an iron chef, that's it, it's just a loss against the iron chef's name. i think iron chefs 'not become iron chefs anymore' if they retire, in that case someone else just takes his place. hope i'm right.

minalata

HSC
whoaaa never realised it finshed in 99... that explains the fashion!!!

Trogie

HSC
Constip8edSkunk said:
Chairman Kaga, who tried every dish created consumed a total of 2,389,995 calories.
Yet he still remained so thin...?

What a job trying 2,500 dishes cooked by the iron chefs & challengers. Can't believe it finished so long ago! they have to update it and bring out a new series, give it an international theme

when i saw this show, i thought it was some joke from asia, i liked it but. i had no idea how popular it is. its pretty funny, like some martial arts movie.

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
watch 'God of Cookery' starring Steven Chow if your into comedies involving cooking and kung fu. It's one of the funniest movies I've seen.

D.Larie

I know what movie you're talking about, noneother! It's hilarious!
My favourite part is when the girl suddenly starts singing...and grasping his hand, making it all bloody etc. :D

Aanyway, Iron Chef is a great show.
The challengers have won, in the last few episodes! The tag-team one, and the French castle one, to name two.

They don't dub over Chairman Kaga's voice because he's that important. lol

They changed the Japanese Iron Chef didn't they? It's a new one now.

And, my brother laughs every time that commentator says "Fukui-san!" so fast it sounds like "Kwisan!" You all know what I'm talking about.

It's so funny how in the beginning, the Iron Chefs slowly rise up on the stage, into the spotlight. It's as if Chairman Kaga's summoning Pokemon. heh

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
I absolutely <3 Iron Chef - 1 of my fav shows...theres sumthin about the quality of shows on SBS on saturday nights, i remember b4 they had iron chef on they had Quads and South Park

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
Huey absolutely owns these chef's hands down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)