Iraq War (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I doubt that it was over oil. I would say that it was an attempt to correct a past error and to help establish a friendly nation within the region.

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
I still get the feeling that there is sum underlying propaganda going on with this war.

More troops are being killed now than when the war was at its peak :confused:

I dunno, it just seems so strange to me.

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
i would like to know the ratio of soldiers killed to the people or iraq killed, because it seems that every time an american soldier is killed we hear about it, but there is never anything about the innocent victims...
i was driving through newtown today and people were handing out these things "is iraq the new vietnam" interesting and also very true, people butting in where they don't belong

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I was fully against the war on iraq. America brought the September 11 terrorist attacks on itself. I don't think that Bush, Blair of Horward cared about the effects that the war would have on cilivians all over the world. I had difficulty sleeping, eating and studying for my hsc, I don't know what it did to other people, but I was about to quit school and I know that I felt like killing myself.Bush is a wuss, and I can't believe what he is doing now about the reconstruction of Iraq, I don't know what his problem is. Countries who didn't take part in the war are not offered contracts to help rebuild Iraq. Who the hell does Bush think that he is??? Last time I checked, he was the president of America and NOT the leader of Iraq!!!I wish someone would hurry up and assassinate him. I know it sounds slack, but I really hate America. Its times like this that I wish I lived in countries like France and Germany.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by Cape
I was fully against the war on iraq. America brought the September 11 terrorist attacks on itself. I don't think that Bush, Blair of Horward cared about the effects that the war would have on cilivians all over the world. I had difficulty sleeping, eating and studying for my hsc, I don't know what it did to other people, but I was about to quit school and I know that I felt like killing myself.Bush is a wuss, and I can't believe what he is doing now about the reconstruction of Iraq, I don't know what his problem is. Countries who didn't take part in the war are not offered contracts to help rebuild Iraq. Who the hell does Bush think that he is??? Last time I checked, he was the president of America and NOT the leader of Iraq!!!I wish someone would hurry up and assassinate him. I know it sounds slack, but I really hate America. Its times like this that I wish I lived in countries like France and Germany.

My God...so true. I agree with all of that.
What really bothers me is when Australians get in on the whole the whole "but we're overthrowing an evil dictator, it's for the good of the world..." Are you gonna tell me that if some non-superpower country came and wanted to overthrow Sadaam Hussain "for the good of the world" that we'd jump on board? Hell no! In fact-any nation besides the US and I can pretty much guarantee we woul dhave said no. Maybe John Howards decision was the best for the country (cos America would have had a hissy fit and sulked for about a decade or so) but that doesn't make it right. John Howard should be absolutely ashamed.
Also-did anyone see on the news about how some Australian is stranded in Antarctica, cos he was flying solo and had to redirect cos of the weather or something and he's run out of fuel, and America point blank refuses to help him? We send troops off to potentially get killed to help our ties with the US, and now, they won't even help out some poor guy in a plane.

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
If Saddam Hussien was the dictator of Iraq for about 20 years and to my memory he never did anything to hurt the world, except during the gulf war ... but being 18, i can't remember much that has happened. Then why was there this sudden urge to get rid of him!!! I know I sound very pro Saddam, but I am anti American, I even wrote about it in my HSC english essay!!! I heard about the guy who was stranded in Antarctica. If it was an American guy, the whole world would have to stop what they were doing and go and rescue him! The Americans have turned so protective about everything. Did you hear about those people who got jailed in America who were Australian citizens cause they had one little thing wrong about their passport??? That was really stupid.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by Cape
If Saddam Hussien was the dictator of Iraq for about 20 years and to my memory he never did anything to hurt the world, except during the gulf war ... but being 18, i can't remember much that has happened. Then why was there this sudden urge to get rid of him!!! I know I sound very pro Saddam, but I am anti American, I even wrote about it in my HSC english essay!!! I heard about the guy who was stranded in Antarctica. If it was an American guy, the whole world would have to stop what they were doing and go and rescue him! The Americans have turned so protective about everything. Did you hear about those people who got jailed in America who were Australian citizens cause they had one little thing wrong about their passport??? That was really stupid.
Saddam did commit atrocities during his lengthy reign.. The controversial aspect however, is that most of these occured prior to the August 1990 invasion of Kuwait, and as such were at least tacitly supported by the USA.. Among the most notorious was a 1988 massacre of some 5,000 Kurds using poison gas.

It is generally agreed on all sides of the pro-war/anti-war argument that Saddam was a tyrant, but that of course is not the essence of the debate..Seeing that many other reactionary leaders guilty of atrocity have been supported and continue to do so, often as a result of American funding and interventions.

Generator

HSC
N/A
'Maybe John Howards decision was the best for the country (cos America would have had a hissy fit and sulked for about a decade or so) but that doesn't make it right. John Howard should be absolutely ashamed.'

He was being realistic, and I fail to see how that is a bad thing when you have an entire nation to think of. Labor would have made a similar choice (which is why Crean didn't actively oppose the Government's actions).

'Also-did anyone see on the news about how some Australian is stranded in Antarctica, cos he was flying solo and had to redirect cos of the weather or something and he's run out of fuel, and America point blank refuses to help him? We send troops off to potentially get killed to help our ties with the US, and now, they won't even help out some poor guy in a plane.'

The Kiwis are/were acting in the same way. Both had a good point in not selling the pilot fuel, too (although it is a bit strange for the US to act in that way when they propose the construction of an ice road through the continent...).

I'm just being realistic, too, if that wasn't clear.

Last edited:

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by Generator
'Maybe John Howards decision was the best for the country (cos America would have had a hissy fit and sulked for about a decade or so) but that doesn't make it right. John Howard should be absolutely ashamed.'

He was being realistic, and I fail to see how that is a bad thing when you have an entire nation to think of. Labor would have made a similar choice (which is why Crean didn't actively oppose the Government's actions).

'Also-did anyone see on the news about how some Australian is stranded in Antarctica, cos he was flying solo and had to redirect cos of the weather or something and he's run out of fuel, and America point blank refuses to help him? We send troops off to potentially get killed to help our ties with the US, and now, they won't even help out some poor guy in a plane.'

The Kiwis are/were acting in the same way. Both had a good point in not selling the pilot fuel, too (although it is a bit strange for the US to act in that way when they propose the construction of an ice road through the continent...).

I'm just being realistic, too, if that wasn't clear.

Generator...what is your problem? It's fine if you or anyone disagrees with me, but it seems that anytime i say anything you have to come and poke holes through my argument...and not just about this issue. I fail to believe it's just a coincidence. What did I do to piss you off?

Generator

HSC
N/A
You just happened to mention something that I could oppose at the time... Is it my fault if you also happen to be posting in the same threads? Am i meant to ignore the few threads of active value?

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
You just happened to mention something that I could oppose at the time... Is it my fault if you also happen to be posting in the same threads? Am i meant to ignore the few threads of active value?
Just happen to? As I said-i find that hard to believe.
But OK...

Generator

HSC
N/A
The other people have mentioned points that have been opposed before, while you mentioned something new. Maybe that is why... ? (The first point was raised by someone else prior to your post, but seeing as though I was going to comment on the second point regarding the pilot...).

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
The other people have mentioned points that have been opposed before, while you mentioned something new. Maybe that is why... ? (The first point was raised by someone else prior to your post, but seeing as though I was going to comment on the second point regarding the pilot...).
If it were just in this thread I wouldn't have thought twice about it, it is just that you seem to do it no matter what I am saying. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't see how.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
did anyone read this? it was written by someone a while ago... like around april-may i think... but i just thought it was interesting and saved it

(so, yeah. download it!)

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by glycerine
did anyone read this? it was written by someone a while ago... like around april-may i think... but i just thought it was interesting and saved it

(so, yeah. download it!)
...read what?

meisme

what i think is real funny about the iraq thing is that for the entire time (and for a while after) that howard was campaigning to let him send some cattle-fodder over..they (the govt) kept very very quiet about the bilateral trade agreement they're trying to implement...... anyone watching the news now would think that the negotiations began after aus troops were sent to iraq

not so!, it all smells a little too fishy to me too!

"..but of course they're not related..." (wink wink nudge nudge)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
the chances of a bomb in sydney are very low...it would be very hard to get some explosive device into sydney...unless u walk into bunnings and ask for 300 kg of fetilizer and 200kg of sulpher

I could give you 300 kg of fertilizser (from our farm), but why bother, that's just pathetic. Spetember 11 involved no fertilizer and what did that destroy. Terrorists are becoming more creative.

Anyway, the reasons for this war (Bush's) are not so pure as he intends. He may have done some good things without intending to, so his means justify his ends.
It's alright to critise, but do any of these critics help people suffering in third world countries.
Still it's nice to know that we have America as an ally (not an enemy), and that there is someone who can come to our aid, and will now Howard proved our allegiance.
Of course, alot of people will be singing a different tune if terrorism ever strikes our great nation. That is the price of America's alliance, we are now a potential target. Let us hope that this act does not ruin our freedom and our carefree way of life.

AGB

HSC
Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings
Generator...what is your problem? It's fine if you or anyone disagrees with me, but it seems that anytime i say anything you have to come and poke holes through my argument...and not just about this issue. I fail to believe it's just a coincidence. What did I do to piss you off?
its because your arguments are so bad and easy to pick holes in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)