IPT vs Engineering (1 Viewer)

C

colourhide

Hey im wondering if i should swap IPT for engineering. i am in yr 11.

Well my IPT isn't really that good, like sometimes she cant even answer her own questions and doesn't really know what shes talking about and its kind of annoying. Most of the time i just go on with the work she sets out because its self explanatory.

Ive heard that the engineering studies teacher is alright but im not really sure but some people say this is a really hard subject whether you have a good teacher or not.

The subjects i am doing right now are 2-unit maths, 3-unit maths, standard english, business studies, IPT, Physics, Chemistry

I just want to know which you think would be better for me.

In the future im i would like to do mechanical engineering.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
If you want to do engineering in uni, def do eng. I love it so far, my teachers great and he said it gives a very good intro into engineering and would highly reccomend it for anyone wanting to do it in uni

C

colourhide

is it harder than physics and 2 unit maths ?

is the scaling a huge gap

and i heard that people doing engineering in uni have dropped the subject engineering studies in prelim because it wasnt really a prerequisite for their course at uni

Last edited by a moderator:

muzeikchun852

HSC
i got a friend whos did enginnering studies and hes target is also engineering in uni. he said that enginnering is a combination of chemistry [im not sure that will be involve, but he said that], physics and maths. he also said that compare to course like chemistry and physics, the workload is much lighter.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
is it harder than physics and 2 unit maths ?

is the scaling a huge gap
Wouldn't have a clue, check out the UAC tables
and i heard that people doing engineering in uni have dropped the subject engineering studies in prelim because it wasnt really a prerequisite for their course at uni
Most of the students that drop out of engineering at uni didn't do engineering in high school, they don't know what they are getting themselves into
It's not a prereq (well, there are only a small number of courses with prereqs, mostly assumed knowledge)
i got a friend whos did enginnering studies and hes target is also engineering in uni. he said that enginnering is a combination of chemistry [im not sure that will be involve, but he said that], physics and maths. he also said that compare to course like chemistry and physics, the workload is much lighter.
It has basic physics, basic chem (you learn about materials and their properties), basic electronics, graphics (sketching stuff).
The syllabus would most likely have a better overview of what you do

t00l

HSC
OMG do not do IPT. I completed the accelerated IPT course (same as hsc ipt but starts from year 9 - 10) and it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOORRRIINNNNNNNG. there is barely any technology within the course at all. it is just Information Technology and Processes minus the Information Technology.
You spend 2 years learning about processes and processing systems. i have found it highly useless although others say that it may help in some aspects. The only program which i used in the course was Adobe Flash and that was to just learn about the buttons and how it helps develop a system for a few weeks. In the first few weeks, you actually learn how to "actively listen" to others and "participate in discussions". To actively listen, you cant reply to simple conversations with a "yes". You must say "Yes John, i fully understood what your hypothesis on our current project's outcomes will be".
I was like anyone before the course. "OMG, ITS GUNA BE FUN, WERE GUNA DO COMPUTER STUFF AND ITS EASY COS I KNOW EVERYTHING ABT COMPUTERS LOLOL".
Wrong. its all "ok computers use parity checks for this that", "a usb is an example of a fat client". sorry i cannot describe how incredibly detailed and useless this course is.
You are 9 million kajillion times better off doing engineering studies which will at least help you on your future job as an engineer someday rather than a "SYSTEMS ANALYST <-- YES THATSS RIGHT, SYSTEMS ANALYST!!!! YOU ANALYSE SYSTEMS AND PROVIDE ADVICE ON WHAT PARTS OF A NETWORK TO CHANGE "oh i think this coaxial cable wont do, it will be more efficient and cost effective to utilise this utp cable". blah blah blah

sorry for the rant but u can see how IPT has just raped my life

Hope_

Hope~
HSC
I agree, IPT is so boring, so easy and scales soooo badly. And like what t00l said, there are heaps of random Yr 10's doing it - trying so hard for it because it's the only HSC subject they have. And if they beat you, they will lower your score, and you can't beat them in the HSC because they're not going to get their ATAR in the same year as you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)