IPT Qs! help mee, and help urself revisee =D (1 Viewer)

xxPanDa

HSC
whats a :
  • multimedia kiosk
  • NIBBLE <-(SAW IT IN past paper, (project work-making decision)
  • a radio button (Database)
  • peripheral device
  • the diff between SQL and QBE, can u give me an eg.
  • are CRT's realy better quality than LCD??
  • for context diagrams, what do u put in the Circle, my teacehr said its wrong to put the name of the system in it.. he said u have to put a process?? is this like collection, analysing transmitting???
  • and this Q in the Indepedent trial 2002 Q23, its about a Golf club collecting handicap info about players, the players are able to retrieve info on them selfs..
    does being able to RETRIEVE data make them a participent?

thanx! i may have more coming :)

Last edited:

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
I know only some of them, but anyways...

A nibble is basically half the binary code of a byte, every byte is made up of two nibbles eg. 0110 0001. It is used to translate a byte written using 8 digits in binary into 2 digits in hexadecimal: for each nibble, translate to decimal, and put them together. Take the example above: 0110 becomes 4+2=6 in decimal, and 0001 becomes just 1 in decimal, thus the hexadecimal representation of this byte is just 61. Test it: 01100001 (binary) = 64+32+1 = 97 (decimal), and 61 (hexadecimal) = 6*16+1 = 97, same result.

A peripheral device is just a device outside of CPU eg. printer, keyboard, mouse, floppy disks, CDs...

SQL is Structured Query Language, while QBE is Query By Example (self-explanatory, you just enter the criteria against fields). SQL is more complicated than QBE, but it is more flexible and returns results that better fit the descrption of the user.

I don't know how is "better" defined, but CRTs flicker less than LCDs, as LCDs have a longer response time (and you can tell from when you move the mouse quickly, it leaves a trail on an LCD). But LCDs require less energy (and battery power), although LCDs cost more.

In context diagrams, yes, circles are for processes, but these processes present the whole system as the circle, so I do think that you can write the name of the system in it eg. different departments in a company. Actually, I think I've seen a context diagram with system names (instead of names of information processes) written in circles, in the textbook I used this year.

And for the last point, I'd actually say that the players are "users", as they are directly interacting with the information system. Haven't actually seen this question myself though (don't have the paper), so I don't exactly know the contexts of this question :p

falcon07

HSC
Multimedia kiosk
Directly from the syllabus:
the major areas of multimedia use, including:
information:
multimedia systems that provide information such as an information kiosk
People can use touch screens to view a video, animation, maps or text or listen to information in a number of languages. Used in museums, zoos, office complex lobbies, libraries, railway stations and other areas where people congregate to provide information to people.

Radio button - a group of buttons where only one may be selected. Used to prevent errors in data entry for a database. For example, when entering client details, there may be a radio button for gender to prevent both being selected.

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
multimedia kiosk --> if asked to create a screen design for one, make sure that there is a small amount of text on the page, lots of graphics and the buttons have to be big because in most cases touch screens are used for multimedia kiosks

nibble --> like said before HALF a BYTE (get the name??? lame it joke)

for context diagrams --> i've always put the system name in the circle because there is only one circle - it is supposed to represent the whole system in its entirety and then showing the relationship between the system and its environment, it is NOT a process, processes in circles are for DFDs

and this Q in the Indepedent trial 2002 Q23, its about a Golf club collecting handicap info about players, the players are able to retrieve info on themselves --> anything that interacts with a system is considered to be a participant - i haven't read the question - but firstly because the golf club is collecting information from the participants it means that the members are participating in the system already.

xxPanDa

HSC
THANX! i'm wondering if anyone has the answers teh the CATHOLIC trials 2002-04
if u cant send all the answers, could u plz atleast tell me the answers to multiple choice, thanx again!

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
xxPanDa said:
THANX! i'm wondering if anyone has the answers teh the CATHOLIC trials 2002-04
if u cant send all the answers, could u plz atleast tell me the answers to multiple choice, thanx again!
can you post those catholic trials you have please?

Beetle

HSC
PANDA.. ur so lazy.. why dont u look it in your textbook? their all there ...

xxPanDa

HSC
STx said:
can you post those catholic trials you have please?
sorry its on papers i am unable to scan..
analogue data to digital signal ahah
  • i hav the question from another indepedent trial 2003
    i need to know the path taken by a email, the transmission mediums, devices required
  • and SQL question.. when i'm selecting WHERE : how do i write "not null" in SQL language.. like how do i pu the bracketrs and equal sign
  • can u have AND and OR for the same search? like.. red AND black, togetha wwith red OR black in the same search?
  • arnt head up display=headsets?
  • for story boards..what do u call the FRAME used on the side of the screen, where there are always the same links there, no matter which page u move to.. and do i need to show arrows pointing direactly at each link leading back to each pages??

thanx!

Last edited:

sauce2k

HSC
some of the questions u asked was so fked up....

circle always means Processing..just remeber...context diagram got nothing to do with collecting,organising...dont get mixed up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)