IP - What's It About? (1 Viewer)

taxman

make poverty
HSC
I'm currently in year 11 and Drama is one of my subjects but I was just wondering what the IP is about.

I know we have the option of performance, writing, set and costume design, etc...but how does this work? I'm planning on writing a script...but in doing this, does it need to be based on certain texts, and if so...what texts are these?

Earlier on in the year, I was planning on adapting Waiting For Godot into a play where there are about 5 extra characters with large parts so that it could be performed for our school play...I started but lazed out (No surprises there) so, could it be possible that I could do this as my IP for next year?

Thanks in advance for your help.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Yeh I guess you could do a play based on WFG, although I'm not sure whether you are allowed to do it based on a text, seeing as though WFG is one of the texts set for study. The best thing for you to do would be to check out the syllabus...specifically look under Individual Project - Scriptwriting.

IP is a great way for you to score bonus marks. Sometimes people have troubles with the final exam, or the GP isn't up to scratch, but because IP is done on your own, you can really go well at it. My suggestion (and Im sure many past studnets would agree) is to begin asap. Probably in the Summer holidays, because August comes up so quickly and bites you on the arse before you realise it. If you see yourself falling intro the trap of saying, "I'll do it next week, I'll do it next week", snap back out and actually get to it. lol

If you can't find the syllabus dot points for writing a script, lemme know and I'll help you out.

Good luck! Just remember...enjoy drama, coz you'll miss it after! :)

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Issue that I can see (other than the whole syllabus thing) is that its something you started in Prelim. Your teacher cannot certify your work if you begun it in Prelim. Although the Idea CAN come during your course, you cannot have done any work on it whatsoever!

Script is a harder IP, Note with all written IPs, that you spend forever on it... and someone who does performance can do theirs in a week and get just as good a mark... harsh reality i had to face! But i cant act, so i had no choice... I'd go for performance if your good at it!

great_one_56

I disagree with going for performance as although you can do it at the last minute and get a good mark you are leaving everything up to 5-8 minutes of your life. At least with script you can fix up the mistakes and make it the best possible you can do. With your idea if your basing it on an original text it might not stand out as being original so I'd think about that.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
I see your point Great_one.. BUT, I'm not sure which project you've done, but most who did a written IP will tell you what a bitch it was to do, and how much EASIER the performance people got it. I had one friend, had her monologue T4 2003, just perfected it by HSC. She's one of the best in the class... another had hers done T1 2004.. etc. Just my opinion... Remember Scripts/Essays/Reviews go up for interpreation of your marker too!

taxman

make poverty
HSC
Thanks for the help all. I think I'm capable of doing an OK monologue...I just have a lot of trouble finding ideas...and my acting is pretty poor when I'm on-stage by myself, I really need another person on-stage in order for everything to run smoothly...signs of a bad actor, I know...but that's the way it goes.

I'll see how it goes next year, thanks for the help though guys, I appreciate it.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Okay, you sound like me. Your cursed! :p... go with a submitted MW.. BUT be sure to not neglect it. Work your ass off early, and you;ll end up with a better result later.

V

val_dramaqueen

great_one_56 said:
I disagree with going for performance as although you can do it at the last minute and get a good mark you are leaving everything up to 5-8 minutes of your life. At least with script you can fix up the mistakes and make it the best possible you can do. With your idea if your basing it on an original text it might not stand out as being original so I'd think about that.
i kinda agree with great one.... thing is, given a second chance, i would pick scriptwriting. i blitzed my prelim performance monologue thingo... then year 12, just flunked! trust me, i know when i flunk... and i flunked!
so, if you feel a little bit edgy or nervous about performance, go with something else! also, nerves on the day can KILL you!

....but no pressure!

artfaggette

dongs
HSC
val_dramaqueen said:
i kinda agree with great one.... thing is, given a second chance, i would pick scriptwriting. i blitzed my prelim performance monologue thingo... then year 12, just flunked! trust me, i know when i flunk... and i flunked!
so, if you feel a little bit edgy or nervous about performance, go with something else! also, nerves on the day can KILL you!

....but no pressure!
The greatest way of getting around nerves on the day and coming out with brilliant reviews is to play a really, really nervous character.
Audience member: "I couldn't understand you, you were just stuttering and spluttering and shaking all over the place"
Genius Actor: "It was all intentional.. ahem"

As for you Taxman, I also say go submitted. You already show an interest in scriptwriting and have the start of an idea which is much more than I had a few weeks before ours was due.
Your idea sounds interesting but could go either way outcome wise, if you can appropriate with style, flair and individuality then go for it! Perhaps explore and extend on the themes of WFG through the multiple characters rather than just a replication with more characters (I'm sure you already had this in mind but I'm just rambling)
Anyway, good luck and start early (unless you can pull of a last minute rush job).

V

val_dramaqueen

mmm.... last minute rush job...gahhh *drools*

my monologue had a nervous character! :) when i did stuff up, because people hadn't seen it, they thought it was all good... being the "everything-must-go-right-dammit!!" freak that i am, i still believed i flunked! lol :rolleyes:

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
Will_Sparky said:
Okay, you sound like me. Your cursed! :p... go with a submitted MW.. BUT be sure to not neglect it. Work your ass off early, and you;ll end up with a better result later.
Will is right...if you're doing a submitted IP, get a lot of it done in the Jan summer holidays. You may wanna relax and not do any work, speaking from experience, the submitted dates come up and bite u on the arse quicker than u imagine :p

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
it all sounds so nerve-wracking :S i wanted to do video drama, but it takes up so much time and i dont have much knowledge, but thats what i want to do when i leave school... and apparently its harder to get the higher marks with the IP because of the number of people doing it...and i cant draw so i think im screwed...

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
muse, thats really true about video drama! If you look at IPs like Research, Video and often Scriptwriting and directing, you get some really shite stuff, but you tend to get really amazing stuff to.

But take solace in the fact that all marking is criteria based. You are not marked against other IPs.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
im just finding it difficult because i really wann amake movies when i leave school, but to do video drama i need time that i dont have. :( makes me sad. I dont wanna do performance cause everyone does that but i have zero art ability.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
you can still make movies when you leave school even if u don't do it for your IP :) If you have the equipment and all that's involved in making a film, then see if you can work out a timetable to get it done. If you do do a film, I suggest you start it these holidays :p That might make you feel better about time management.

Also look in to doing a research project or theatre reviews if you don't want to do performance. :)

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Don;t do a research project! DON'T... unless you have a clear intention and focus to begin. The syllabus recomends picking something and researching, or reaserching and finding something. Pick something! If anyone plans on doing research, PM me and ill give you all the tips :p

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
what exactly does a research project involve? do u havta research like scripts n stuff or??

haha i sound so dumb

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Basically you pick a topic of your choice in drama or theatre, and research it! and try and take a years of research and condense it into 3500 words! :p

The syllabus says you can look at a theoretiain (SP!) a theatre-arts body, a performance group, a particular style, or a technical or critical issue in drama.

So that means you can do anything from: "Meyerhold is a shithead" Discuss
to what I did:

Company B Belvoir's mission statement and if its been upheld

or what a friend of mine did

Purpose of Comunity theatre using shopfront theatre for youth as an example

or even stuff like "the role of women in Elizabethan theatre"

My first idea was "Role of Women in the Crucible" but my teacher said there wasn't enough there, and it would probably turn into an english essay!

Does that help? Like i said, PM me if you want or write me an email with heaps of questions!

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
yeah that kinda helps, thanks :D.. still havent made up my mind yet, but ill have another look at the syllabus and see what my options are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)