Investment banking? (1 Viewer)

HSC guy

HSC
ifsonotso_100 said:
you just keep digging yourself into a whole which keeps getting bigger and bigger. The relative argument is retarded and makes no sense- and you are a retard to suggest when you used the word relative that you meant relatively easy compared to curing cancer.

Twas a crap attempt to hide your ignorance, so live with your mistake for the rest of your life.

Agree with Rorix's comment 100%- says who. Also highly doubt a HSC guy has read those books and if you have would you kindly share with us your opinion on those books/research you have conducted and share your wisdom.
Firstly,I've already shared my opinions, that's why i was asked for the books/sites. Secondly, just because someone is doing their HSC does not mean they cannot read about a topic they are interested in.

Also, it's not a retarded arguement. You're retarded.

HSC
HSC guy said:
Firstly,I've already shared my opinions, that's why i was asked for the books/sites. Secondly, just because someone is doing their HSC does not mean they cannot read about a topic they are interested in.
Did you see why I wrote HSC guy- I was referring to you but obviously I needed to be more literal in my response.

Also, it's not a retarded arguement. You're retarded.
says the retard who can't spell argument correctly. @ the GS, ML- which industry person has said this, or what are you basing this on- which measurement system?

HSC guy

HSC
ifsonotso_100 said:
Did you see why I wrote HSC guy- I was referring to you but obviously I needed to be more literal in my response.

says the retard who can't spell argument correctly. @ the GS, ML- which industry person has said this, or what are you basing this on- which measurement system?
I highly doubt an if so not so guy would understand complex systems for comparing large transnational corporations with all the various factors and elements involved. Kid, it's probably a little beyond you.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
HSC guy said:
LOLZ, trying to demean my views by labelling it as trolling? Says more about you than it does about me.

As for research:

The two biggest and most influential players in NY are Goldman Sachs and Merrill Lynch and most of my research into the industry has been focused on those two companies.

www.gs.com (goldman sachs website)

Goldman Sachs: The Culture Of Success by Lisa Endlich
Long-term Greedy: The Triumph of Goldman Sachs by Nils Lindskoog

The two books offer two contrasting (one is complimentary, one is less so) views abould Goldman Sachs while explaining the nature of the company.

www.ml.com (Merrill Lynch's site)

Riding the Bull: My Year in the Madness at Merrill Lynch by Paul Stiles

That's an interesting book because of it's firsthand account of ML.

Have fun reading.
That's fine. You've got company websites and some books written on the companies.

Comprehensive and relevant to said topic. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Why does my ability to pick out when people are posting to provoke a reaction, say more about me than it does you?

Last edited:

Rorix

HSC
HSC guy said:
According to anyone with any knowledge of the industry. Make the most money, worth the most, own the most. There's a number of different ways to rank companies, in most GS and ML are at the top.
Not really. JPMorgan is actually twice the size of GS. Citigroup is nearly that size. And Merrill Lynch is half the size of Goldman Sachs. Admittedly, JPMorgan and Citi both have retail banking arms, so that comparison is a bit misleading, but Merrill Lynch is even smaller than Wachovia. Goldman Sachs is the leading investment bank. But Merrill Lynch is most definitely not second.

Not to mention that the whole idea of ranking firms as to who's the "biggest and most influential" is a bit silly. Size wise, for the size that investment banks are today, there's no real size based difference in service between any of the full service banks. Influence wise, I don't really see how you are going to rank this given theres so many different facets to investment banking. What exactly did GS and ML do that was so influential in world markets?

HSC guy

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
That's fine. You've got company websites and some books written on the companies.

Comprehensive and relevant to said topic. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Why does my ability to pick out when people are posting to provoke a reaction, say more about me than it does you?
I wasn't posting just to provoke a reaction. I'm having an ongoing conversation here, nothing 'trolling' about that. And it says more about you than me because firstly, it says little about me because it's an incorrect label of me, and secondly it says more about you because it shows how quick you are to label what i'm doing to make your argument stronger. Instead of making your own argument and winning the debate through your own points of view you resort to petty labeling.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
HSC guy said:
I wasn't posting just to provoke a reaction. I'm having an ongoing conversation here, nothing 'trolling' about that. And it says more about you than me because firstly, it says little about me because it's an incorrect label of me, and secondly it says more about you because it shows how quick you are to label what i'm doing to make your argument stronger. Instead of making your own argument and winning the debate through your own points of view you resort to petty labeling.
Ok. :rolleyes:

Read what rorix has posted.

Back on topic.

MasterPUA

HSC
HSC guy said:
The two biggest and most influential players in NY are Goldman Sachs and Merrill Lynch and most of my research into the industry has been focused on those two companies.
HSC guy said:
HSC guy said:
HSC guy said:

I think that you should focus your research on the retail banks and building societies.

HSC guy

HSC
MasterPUA said:
I think that you should focus your research on the retail banks and building societies.
I'm aware of the fact that IB's are not the be all and end all of the financial world. However they are the microcosm i'm most interested in.

P.S. If the quote spam was intentional...it really was unnecessary.

supressive

HSC
Ok taking a break from all the arguing my ignorant self is wondering would the high flying financial companies of Australia prefer a B.eco/comm double degree over one of those degrees by themself? For those from Melbourne i am trying to decide between commerce at melb uni or the comm/eco double degree at monash or possibly the banking/finance monash degree and this is the industry i would like to eventually end up in. Are potential employers going to think the one requiring the highest enter is better or would the banking/finance degree be preferred as it is more specific to the industry?

MasterPUA

HSC
HSC guy said:
I'm aware of the fact that IB's are not the be all and end all of the financial world. However they are the microcosm i'm most interested in.

P.S. If the quote spam was intentional...it really was unnecessary.
I'm not going to rip on you because you probably know more about the industry than 99.5% of HSC students.

You just have a long way to go. You'll get there.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Im just trying to research where a comm (fin)/llb degree can take you other then direct corporate legal work or IB. What other finanical jobs are good but not as competitive as IB? Obviously, they won't pay as much but have more friendly hours and higher job security.

MasterPUA

HSC
shells15 said:
Is commerce any good for IB?
you are asking the wrong question. be a utilitarian and ask 'is IB any good for commerce?'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)