internal ranks and internal marks aligning?? (1 Viewer)

moonbear129

HSC
okay, so everyone seems to go by the fact that the person ranked first gets the highest external mark..

but is that really true?? and does that really happen? or are there exceptions??

im just so confused because at my school last year for Physics, the person who was ranked 4th internally got the highest external mark of 96 but the person who came first did not get 96 for his internal mark.. instead, he got around 91 or 92..

what's happening here????

--------
for more details, the person who came 4th got 84 for his internal mark and 96 for his externals (overall being 90) don't know how he only got 84 when he ranked 4th for starters...

and the person ranked first got 92 for internals and 90 in externals (i am not 100% certain but it's definitely around 91/92 range)

do you think the externals may have some effect in the overall rankings if someone does exceptionally well in the externals??

Last edited:

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Where did you get the source that 1st had 91 for his assessment mark? Could be possible he'd be lying to cover up for his failure in the externals.

Flop21

HSC
Or he might have mistaken his internal mark for his overall HSC mark??

D94

HSC
N/A
okay, so everyone seems to go by the fact that the person ranked first gets the highest external mark..

but is that really true?? and does that really happen? or are there exceptions??

im just so confused because at my school last year for Physics, the person who was ranked 4th internally got the highest external mark of 96 but the person who came first did not get 96 for his internal mark.. instead, he got around 91 or 92..

what's happening here????

--------
for more details, the person who came 4th got 84 for his internal mark and 96 for his externals (overall being 90) don't know how he only got 84 when he ranked 4th for starters...

and the person ranked first got 92 for internals and 90 in externals (i am not 100% certain but it's definitely around 91/92 range)

do you think the externals may have some effect in the overall rankings if someone does exceptionally well in the externals??
If what you are claiming is true, then there was a tie for first, whereby the assessment mark for all students tied first becomes the average of the x highest exam marks where x is the number of students ranked first. Let's assume there are 2 students tied first, then if the highest exam mark was 96 then the next highest exam mark was 88.

moonbear129

HSC
If what you are claiming is true, then there was a tie for first, whereby the assessment mark for all students tied first becomes the average of the x highest exam marks where x is the number of students ranked first. Let's assume there are 2 students tied first, then if the highest exam mark was 96 then the next highest exam mark was 88.

all of this is true, the guys are in my grade in my school doing HSC this year, they just completed HSC physics last year because our school offers accelerated for extension 1 maths and physics..

even they were confused themselves when they first received these results..but its been a year so i just thought id bring it up again here to see what you guys thought..

oh btw, no one tied first..there weren't any tied rankings for the first 4 people so it's still a mystery to us lol

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
all of this is true, the guys are in my grade in my school doing HSC this year, they just completed HSC physics last year because our school offers accelerated for extension 1 maths and physics..

even they were confused themselves when they first received these results..but its been a year so i just thought id bring it up again here to see what you guys thought..

oh btw, no one tied first..there weren't any tied rankings for the first 4 people so it's still a mystery to us lol
The ranks that your school gives to you are not necessarily what BOS may calculate. Schools submit whole marks into BOS, and that could mean if there was a situation where 1st had 85.4, and 2nd had 84.5, whilst on your reports they might have been 1 and 2, BOS sees them as equal first.

moonbear129

HSC
The ranks that your school gives to you are not necessarily what BOS may calculate. Schools submit whole marks into BOS, and that could mean if there was a situation where 1st had 85.4, and 2nd had 84.5, whilst on your reports they might have been 1 and 2, BOS sees them as equal first.

ohhh..i see...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)