internal marks vs internal ranks (1 Viewer)

vitamin D

HSC
Hello, my internal marks are generally averaging 50-75. However my ranks are:Standard English: 9/106, Maths 2u: 38/77, Engineering Studies: 6/20, Physics: 15/27, Senior Science: 6/44 which are not too bad IMO, however my marks are so low, how bad will this affect my end result for my ATAR ??

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Remember: your ranks are more important than your marks.

D94

HSC
N/A
Remember: your ranks are more important than your marks.
Your marks are more important, especially in terms of how close or far you are from your peers. What good is coming 6 out of 20, if the top 5 people are 20 marks ahead of you? Coming 6th doesn't actually demonstrate your abilities compared to your peers. Don't think your mark will be close to 5th if exam performance was reflective of school performance.

When I did the HSC, the top 80 out of 150 in English Advanced got a mark higher than 85. That's because from ranks 20 to 80, the school marks were very close to each other. If all I said was someone is coming 80th in English, you would not think they would achieve 85.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Your marks are more important, especially in terms of how close or far you are from your peers. What good is coming 6 out of 20, if the top 5 people are 20 marks ahead of you? Coming 6th doesn't actually demonstrate your abilities compared to your peers. Don't think your mark will be close to 5th if exam performance was reflective of school performance.

When I did the HSC, the top 80 out of 150 in English Advanced got a mark higher than 85. That's because from ranks 20 to 80, the school marks were very close to each other. If all I said was someone is coming 80th in English, you would not think they would achieve 85.
In certain contexts of course.

D94, in general, do ranks only matter if you are ranked closed to first or first and last?

Then again, it all depends how well you do in your HSC.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ranks are important as the marks sent in are moderated to the exam marks and then the 'internal' mark is awarded accordingly.

e.g. School 1 sends in the following marks: 99, 95, 91, 90, 88, and 81
School 2 sends in the following marks: 78, 74, 70, 69, 67 and 60.

Note that the range of marks and the gaps are the same.

Now the external marks for both schools are: 85, 84, 82, 81, 78 and 70.

Both schools will then end up with the same internal marks as they end up with the same top and bottom, total, same relative gaps.

It really boils down to both marks and ranks are important.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
A while ago, on a different thread, D94 defended his notion that marks are more important than ranks. But generally its a balance between the two...

D94

HSC
N/A
D94, in general, do ranks only matter if you are ranked closed to first or first and last?
This is a question designed specifically to discredit my previous response.

It makes no difference if you are 2nd or 2nd last or right in the middle. What matters is how close your marks are to first or last. Unless you are first or last, your internal marks are dependent on how close or far you are from your peers.

It's reasonable to assume 2nd probably is close to 1st in terms of marks, but this doesn't have to be the case. BOSTES does not say, 'oh, you're ranked 2nd, so let's give you a mark very close to first'. They actually look at the spread of the marks, because your assessment mark must reflect your school performance.

D94

HSC
N/A
A while ago, on a different thread, D94 defended his notion that marks are more important than ranks. But generally its a balance between the two...
It is not. You can't make sweeping statements like that but not substantiate that or at least provide a relevant example.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
It is not. You can't make sweeping statements like that but not substantiate that or at least provide a relevant example.
Lets say a person is ranked first or last and the internal mark of that subject is the lowest or highest HSC mark. However, if you have a different rank other than first or last, BOSTES uses your averages to maintain the gaps (ranks) respectively, so yes, my statement is a valid statement.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Lets say a person is ranked first or last and the internal mark of that subject is the lowest or highest HSC mark. However, if you have a different rank other than first or last, BOSTES uses your averages to maintain the gaps (ranks) respectively, so yes, my statement is a valid statement.
It's not a balance at all, this rank concept is actually redundant in determining what assessment mark your going to get if your not first or last.

vitamin D

HSC

in trms of marks, they all have a considerably small gap from peers. EG in engo mark range from rank 1-6 is 75-80. And goes with other subs besides senior (first is 90+ and the rest 80s and me 75)

D94

HSC
N/A
Averages of what? Gaps are not ranks. A gap of 20 marks between 5th and 6th is very different to a gap of 1 mark between 6th and 7th. Yet, the rank difference between 5th and 6th is 1, and the rank difference between 6th and 7th is 1. Are you suggesting that a 20 mark difference is the same as a 1 mark difference?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)