internal accounts job (1 Viewer)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
is it just me?

or does other people think, accountants only do clerical stuff pretty much for da whole day. filing, filing and filing. bas, myob, and report to ato, thats all. thats the life of a propriety company?

anyone have other similar experiences?

internal accountants for small to mid size companies are just as bad as accounts clerks

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
tacky said:
Many people working in "accounts" department like to tell their friends that they are accountants when they are not adding to the misconception and confusion.
LOL true- they're clerks.

But wait a minute, I'm not a CA yet. I'm not even a uni graduate. I'm still gonna tell my friends I'm an Accountant though.

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
Haha how vindictive is tacky, his hatred of MBL is bordering on obsession.

I wonder if he applied there and they rejected him.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I heard MB do provide cabcharge if after certain hours- even for interns? *shrugs*

But I'm surprised you didn't know all that? I've never worked at MB but there's a reason why the saying goes; "If you work at MB, they own you."

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Hey tacky, out of interest, which IB do you work at? And I thought all IBs have the same issue of long hours, dont they?

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
If he said that, Macq would find out and they'd send the Deadly Viper Assasination Squad (DeVAS for short) over to...silence him.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
So if he suddenly stops posting on BoS or his signature changes to some pro-MB thing... we'll know what happened^^

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
I get a cabcharge after 8pm and either a meal allowance or a manager will order in food i.e. pizza or something.

Sure you might not have liked working in FMG, from what I understand it is a fairly boring and arduous area of the bank to work in but you cannot dismiss the whole bank just because of your unsavoury experiences.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
tacky said:
WRONG!

There is a huge difference between working in the "accounts department" (i.e. accounts payable, bookkeeping) and working as a real "accountant".

1. You are not an "accountant" until you are CPA or CA qualified anyways so you should not be called one until you are fully qualified. The title "accountant" is used so flippantly that in many cases it is used quite misleadingly by dodgey firms to describe many "accounts" jobs which involve nothing more than "filing, filing and filing. bas, myob, and report to ato..." - which is all bookkeeping and not accounting at all.

Actually, the CPA Australia put forward a motion a few years back to have the word "accountant" legislated in the same way that you can't call yourself a "doctor" if you are not one but for some reason this motion was blocked by the CA.

2. Doing "accounts" work such as filing, filing and filing, bas, myob, and report to ato, etc. is NOT the work of an accountant as to become CPA or CA qualified now-a-days you need to fulfill a mentor program where you have to show workplace evidence of what you do in your job and the accounting bodies will not accept you if you are working in accounts or bookeeping type roles.

Anyone can work in the accounts department doing filing, bas returns, etc. you dont even need an accounting degree - in fact you dont even need a degree period to do such a job and a TAFE diploma would even be overkill for such a job.

3. Real accounting work involves advisory work be it internally or externally. E.g. management accountants advise senior management of the firm on financial position and strategy, tax accountants advise on tax strategy, etc. Jobs where you are paying company bills, filing, bas, ato returns, printing out reports, posting journals etc. are NOT accounting but bookeeping.

Many people working in "accounts" department like to tell their friends that they are accountants when they are not, adding to the misconception and confusion.
wow! i really would have to give you credit for what you said. nicely done...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Just thought I'd say this to you Tacky, I may not have worked in MB, but I'm pretty sure that's how it is in A LOT of firms/companies.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I meant.. I'm sure there are a lot of places where the employees at the bottom of the food chain work hard and get paid squat compared to what the people at the top make thanks to the cuts passed up from below.

ND

HSC
tacky why did you remove your post that said you work at CBA?

ND

HSC
Hey tacky, i want to make a deposit into my savings account at commonwealth, maybe you can help me out? (or aren't they letting you do that by yourself yet?)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I thought he does investing... not a teller?

ND said:
tacky why did you remove your post that said you work at CBA?
Maybe he's afraid MB has connections in CBA and are secretly watching his signature space?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Btw back on topic, one of the first things that I learnt from my first accounting lecture on Thursday was that the stuff you learn in uni in Accounting is not intended to make us into book keepers (or clerks). So if that's concerning anyone who's considering Accounting in uni, keep that in mind.

Whilst initially we have to learn the basics and do a bit of book keeping so we can understand things better, even the lecturer tells us that all that sortof stuff is done on computers now and what we have to learn include things like fraud, auditing and reporting standards/terminology used around the world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)