hey pplz..

i'll b in yr 12 next term (ah!) and we're gonna study "My place" by

Sally Morgan for "inner journey". HAs anyone studied this text and

have any notes?
-thx-

Eddie2004

HSC
so boring

hey - poor kid - that is such a boring book - AND she does really irritating things like put a capital D for Doors - as in hospital door not the band.

You don't need extra notes kid - you'll probably get a whole forrest work in class.

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
Yep, you got the worst end of the stick with my place.
It is so long and boring. Even all the teachers say how bad it is.

malkin86

HSC
If you liked/didn't mind the Aboriginal Experience stuff in yr9/10 history, it's not so bad.

HSC
N/A
oh man don't tell me all this depressing stuff now... not when I've spent the better part of a year convincing myself that yes, it is a "challenging" prescribed text, and that yes, it is to be analysed from an "autobiographical/non-fiction" perspective, and that yes, there are literary techniques in there... somewhere...

But as for notes, you should get a whole bunch in class. And if not, you can pretty much do without them. My Place is pretty self-explanatory. And when all else fails - come here to BOS!

danie

a fool
HSC
I haven't read My Place, I gave up after two chapters and I've done well in all my essays. So in other words because it's a prescribed text you'll be inundated with notes, not to mention this fabulous site which has been my saviour of all things HSC.

Simmey

HSC
i liked it

I really liked my place. Its dead easy to use in pretty much all the questions they can possibly throow at you and theres heaps and heaps of techniques.
I thought it was a really good story, a bit slow, i'll admit but really good.
You seriously DONT WANT any more notes than what you will get. You practically get a whole term on area of study wheras you get about 4 weeks for your last module...i'm pretty sure everyone crams the last module.
Students get half a forest as it is worth of notes.

malkin86

HSC
The Doors in the first chapter is a metaphor for barriers in her life... Nan is a guiding light...
when her Dad drives the family nearly over a cliff - metaphor for his alcoholism...
Less sophisticated language -> more sophisticated language as she grows up in the book...

HSC
N/A
So we have metaphors, and language.

But what about literary techniques? Post-modern fragmentation goes out of the window. No imagery. Meta-fiction? Discourses... maybe... readings? Liberal Humanist?!

It's sad to say that this text puzzles me for a very plain and stupid reason. It's written in such a way that mere mortals can understand it without a translator, and thus, without having complex, almost indecipherable content to analyse, I am lost.

malkin86

HSC
I believe there is some imagry... the description of Gladys's Crying Tree perhaps? the swamps where Sally played?

J

jhakka

Why do I hate My Place?

-It's boring.
-It's all "Love me, love me, I'm Aboriginal."
-She thinks she's so bloody important. "I found out I was Aboriginal and then God visited me."
-It's boring.
-It's about something not many people would ordinarily care about.
-And finally, it's boring.

Just my two cents. :)

dollparts

this above all else?
HSC
i don't understand it...

daisy was half aboriginal, right?
making gladys a quarter aboriginal, right?
making sally an eight aboriginal, right?

so the whole book is about her search for an 8th of her cultural heritage? or am i wrong? it would just seem silly for her to write a book about being aboriginal just coz her great-grandparents were. i mean, all my relatives are finnish and scottish, but i don't call myself either.

or am i all wrong about it?

HSC
N/A
Actually this reminds me of Rabbit Proof Fence.

You remember that bit when they're showing an influence on white blood - the more there is, the less "aboriginal" they look. But I imagine a great deal of this has to do with upbringing. A lot of half-castes/quarter-castes/one-eighth-of-a-caste were raised in completely white families. Sally was raised with her Grandmother, Mother and Aboriginal uncles. Plus, there's the matter of a "family secret". And we all know how irresistable a secret is...

It's also a big moral and ethical issue. If you were 1/8 Royal, wouldn't you want to know about it? Perhaps The Royal Family has a lot more to look forward to, but same deal.

sweet stuff

Yeah i found the book very boring. I found it rather repetitive and all about the aboriginal heritage and stolen generation. The book was all about aboriginality and finding out who they are in this wolrd rather boring. goodluck tho.

malkin86

HSC
It does get a bit repetitive.. The syllabi. 2 years of this in yr 9/10 history is enough for most.

The main thing that I'm annoyed about is that my teacher said how she was 'bloody sick' of 'minorities'... all of them.

HSC
N/A
*blinks*

Now that's dangerous. Teachers With Issues Against Prescribed Texts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)