Information on Accommodation (1 Viewer)

legendfunk

HSC
yeah, i am.
The last time I clicked it didn't work, so I was asking for another link. I just came home from exams. So cut me some slack! Please?:hammer:

OK, can I ask one last thing?

Accommodation applications is NOT OPEN
Applications for Semester 1, 2010 open on the 30th August, 2008 (Open Day).

Applying for Accommodation
Applications for Semester 1, 2010 open on the ~30th August, 2009 (Open Day).
Which one is it? 2008 or 2009?

Last edited:

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
the date for open day 2009 has not been confirmed yet (to my knowledge), but it's around the 30th of august (will be a saturday). considering 29th is a sat, i suspect it will be on that day.

legendfunk

HSC
One more question, this time I actually took the time to read it, but still cut me some slack, I've just come out of trials now.

What's the difference between 'applying' and 'registering'? I'm going to the open day on Saturday, will I need to have $200+ in my pocket or is that just the time to apply?

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
absolutely nothing whatsoever. None of the accommodation @ ANU will charge you anything to apply/register. The first 'bill' so to speak, will be after you recieve an offer, and you accept it, you will be sent charged for bond etc. But that's around january.

btw - On the weekend you may be asked to give your details to the front desk when you look at the accommodation. Dw, it's just so they know where people are visiting from, and they write to you and thankyou for coming. But it has nothing to do with applying to live there.

mupy

HSC
I drove down to Canberra on friday from sydney & went to the ANU open day on saturday - it seemed pretty sweet.
I have some questions in regards to accommodation!
I only had time to take a tour of johns, ursies, b&g & both unilodges to get an idea of the range of halls available - both catered & self-catered. The kitchen at b&g seemed pretty cool..but I don't REALLY know how to cook. Do people usually learn over time...or should you be pretty well-equipped with cooking skills beforehand :( I'm thinking of catered for first year & then maybe self-catered in the future if I manage to learn how to cook!
Also, are bruce & burgmann pretty similar to ursies or johns in terms of rooms, common rooms, food etc? Cos I didn't get a chance to have a look at them!
Also, what's the go with putting johns as first preference? Is it just bcos the competition for places there are really high? Should I even bother putting johns as a lower preference?
Should I really take into consideration the prices/costs of internet, other facilities, etc? Or are all the colleges pretty similar..and the facilities available are worthy of their costs? So overall, what you pay for is what you'll get.
Thank you!

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
I drove down to Canberra on friday from sydney & went to the ANU open day on saturday - it seemed pretty sweet.
Awesome :) glad you had fun.

Do people usually learn over time...or should you be pretty well-equipped with cooking skills beforehand :( I'm thinking of catered for first year & then maybe
Blacksunset will probably agree with me on this - you will pick it up if you're keen to learn. Tbh cooking isn't really that tough, and you can make some pretty simple meals. Alot of students are known for doing one massive cookup on the weekend, and putting them in little plastic tubs in the freezer - just defrost one every night and mix it with rice etc. If you can, start cooking with your parents now, even if you're just looking over their shoulder, you'll pick up way more 'easy recipies' there than reading a book.

Also, are bruce & burgmann pretty similar to ursies or johns in terms of rooms, common rooms, food etc?
yes, pretty much. Food is apparently worse at burgmann, but i dunno - i think they're all pretty much the same (despite the debate that goes on here lol)
The only downside, is ursies common room closes at 12 every night. So if you're having a party, and it hits midnight, you get kicked out. Subsequently, ursies have the nicest common room lol.

Also, what's the go with putting johns as first preference? Is it just bcos the competition for places there are really high? Should I even bother putting johns as a lower preference?

yeah, alot of people want to get into johns. Hence, johns only interviews people who put johns as their first preference. Is competition high? It's just playing your cards right.... pm me and i'll give you simple instructions on how to get into johns... or any college that has an interview.

Should I really take into consideration the prices/costs of internet, other facilities, etc? of course! things like washing machines can add up! i think UL charges $3 a load! for washing, which can really add up, especially if you're using a dryer. Everywhere else is free.... except i think B&G that charges $1? (blacksunset?)
Costs of internet - see faq... its mostly covered there.
Price of college - it depends on what you can afford. BTW people say 'oh i'm going to save money by going to self-catered' - and then they eat out many times a week, and it costs them more than going to a catered college. The opposite case with catered colleges - they eat out, costing them heaps :p
So you just got to think about what you would like/afford. Have you ever lived in a dormatory or similar before?

Or are all the colleges pretty similar..and the facilities available are worthy of their costs?

i think they are.... on the most part - except UL, which is just wayy to expensive. btw - don't look negativly at the colleges on daley road, just because they are older than UL. They all have a great social community, and have been taking new residents for years (so all the social events/pastoral care is organised etc. The newer colleges are made for profit, and are having many teething (sp) issues with residents.

any questions - feel free to give me a buzz.

HiddenDragon

HSC
On the application it asks for date of arrival. When do first year students usually arrive? A few days before O week? And if so when is O week lol

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Couple of days beforehand. Ring and ask the individual college to see when they start accepting arrivals.

mupy

HSC
OK ONCE & FOR ALL - EXPECTED ARRIVAL DATE:

The approximate due is for you. You can put whatever date you think you will arrive in Canberra. The residence that eventually makes you an offer will have a contract start date, but you can arrive whenever you like. Ultimately the question on the application is more for students that are arriving at times outside of the usual (if they are arriving in January or March). If you will be a normal undergraduate student coming for Semester 1 then you can put whatever date you like. It is just an approximate date, it won’t affect your accommodation at all. Most students usually arrive around the 13th of February.

Regards,

Ms Anna Ferguson

HiddenDragon

HSC
Thankyou Sammy-Blue and mupy i think i will arrive around the 13th if i get in as it is a couple of days before O week.

I just have one last question that i couldn't find answered in this thread.

In the application it asks for you to give them an indication of academic ability. It mentions academic awards, dux and scholarships, but i was wondering if i should include such things as trial results for my current subjects in year 12.

Thanks

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Include whatever you feel like, as long as you haven't failed stuff I don't think they'd give it a second look. Although again, exactly how much emphasis they place on it would depend on the college. As far as I'm aware Ursies values grades more than other colleges and Johns values them the least.

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
Well it was on the application form. It would be awesome to know nobody has slept on the mattress before me!

Edit: Does it say that it will be ready for s1 2010?
It's going to be a prefabricated modular construction, so my guess is that it'll be up quite quickly. Still you might want to make a few calls or emails to the uni to confirm

freaksoutalot

HSC
Whan are Johns interviews usually held as i will be overseas from the 20th to the 1st of december?

probably best to send them an email in novemeber?

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
as mine was a while ago, all i remember is that it was well after schoolies but before the end of the year. just pop them a qucik polite email, ask for the date the interviews will be held. (make sure you tell them which city youlive in)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)