Information on Accommodation (1 Viewer)

XDXD

HSC
question,
if im allowed to defer 2 years,
do i apply for accommodation now?

melanie.dee

HSC
Thoroughly random question - can you have kettles in your rooms? It says no cooking in rooms in something I read, but a kettle? I drink gallons of tea haha, mostly at 2am in the morning.

moc2009

HSC
N/A
Thoroughly random question - can you have kettles in your rooms? It says no cooking in rooms in something I read, but a kettle? I drink gallons of tea haha, mostly at 2am in the morning.
When I was looking at the accommodation handbooks (on each of their sites) some allowed kettles in your room and some had a “kitchenette” at the end of each floor with kettles, so I think it depends which accommodation you are in.

blacksunset

HSC
b&gs common room have a kettle - you can use that. kettles is a tough one because they mainly say no cooking in rooms because it sets off the smoke alarms and pisses everyone off..

melanie.dee

HSC
Hmm spose I'll find out when I get there..

Another random q - what the hell size bed linen do you put on a king single bed?? Single duvet, double duvet? What size sheets? Actually what is the difference between single and king single beds? Are they wider and longer, just wider, just longer?

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Hmm spose I'll find out when I get there..

Another random q - what the hell size bed linen do you put on a king single bed?? Single duvet, double duvet? What size sheets? Actually what is the difference between single and king single beds? Are they wider and longer, just wider, just longer?
They're a bit longer and a bit wider. There are sheets that fit king single beds around, although you might have a harder time finding them, especially quilt covers.

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
Bruce Hall allows kettles in rooms if they have an automatic cut-off (which is pretty much all electric kettles i've seen).

And yes, tea is awesomeness!

Miner

HSC
They're a bit longer and a bit wider. There are sheets that fit king single beds around, although you might have a harder time finding them, especially quilt covers.

Target sell King Single sheets. Just buy a Double or Queen Quilt and cover, depending on how much you like to wrap up in the cold.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
okay, i've tried to read all this thread but i think i've skipped pages here and there,

in the catered colleges, is the food good? or is it like boarding school/camp food?

i don't mind cooking for myself, but the general consensus seems to be that catered is much easier and more convenient?

and what's the reputation of johns? looking on the website it looked to have the nicest rooms?
do they accept heaps of religious people because it's run by brothers?

thanks heaps and sorry if these questions have already been answered...

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
okay, i've tried to read all this thread but i think i've skipped pages here and there,

in the catered colleges, is the food good? or is it like boarding school/camp food?
It varies from college to college. In general, the food isn't particularly brilliant, but most of the time it's not too bad either. Bruce and Ursies have the best food, then Burgmann, and then Johns has the worst.

i don't mind cooking for myself, but the general consensus seems to be that catered is much easier and more convenient?
That and catered colleges are generally more social. B&G is quite social too though.

and what's the reputation of johns? looking on the website it looked to have the nicest rooms?
do they accept heaps of religious people because it's run by brothers?
Johns has the reputation of being the jock college. It holds true in some respects in that they tend to dominate at quite a few sports. I haven't met many nice people from Johns, and those who were nice hated it there, but the people on this board from Johns will tell you how much they love it and how the jocks are in the minority...
Burgmann, Bruce, and Johns all claim to have the largest rooms. I personally believe that the Bruce rooms are the best, but to be honest there's no great difference, as they're all pretty similar in size and layout, though Burgmann have a weird wardrobe & sink layout (the tardis=. Bruce does have the advantage that second years can have rooms with a balcony, which is pretty awesome.

And I don't think religion really comes into it that much...

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
thanks heaps for your reply, it was very helpful =]].

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
i asked the same question about religion when i first arrived at johns. their reply was 'it's there if you want it'. there are plenty of different religions there so don't worry. you'll have a great time

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
thanks =]]. i'm not religious at all so i didn't want to be in a college full of devout christians =||. haha.

i think bruce would be my first choice. it seems to be the most well rounded, rooms seem nice, food is apparently good etc.

i just want to be finished school and go to uni already! =]].

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Yeah, it has quite a spirited atmosphere.

OMGLOLLERROFFLES:spzz::spzz::spzz:

cricketfan10

HSC
anyone know how many powerpoints there would be in a standard fenner hall room?
thanks

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
I haven't lookd up every page but I was wondering since I haven't seen it asked,

How much are boarding costs?
read the faq it's there.

Edit: nobody tell him, if he can't find it then he probably won't make it to ANU anyway.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)