inflating english marks (1 Viewer)

emu1

HSC
i got to a school ranked around 100. Advanced English is marked extremely hard at my school and there are about 80 kids doing advanced english. Only about 3 will receive over 90% in each assessment.
I have a mate who goes to a school where around 15 out of 80 kids will get around 95%. I looked at my friends essay (who got 95%), and if he was at my school he would of received low 80%. I know assessment marks are moderated but i still reckon its unfair

emu1

HSC
also our teachers refuse to give 100% in any essay as they feel we have not reached our full writing potential. Other school full marks for essays :mad1:

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
It won't negatively affect your final English Advanced mark, and it will (read, 'should') only serve to make you more determined to become better, instead of your friend being content with 95%, when you seem to think he/she has room to improve. Though if they mark you too low, I guess you could become demoralised, but you probably suck anyway if you get too low a mark.

emu1

HSC
dont care about striving to get better marks - want to know about the technicalities and how it will effect my overall mark compared to my mates

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
dont care about striving to get better marks - want to know about the technicalities and how it will effect my overall mark compared to my mates
It won't. All the marking imbalances between schools and teachers are unified within the scaling process, to the point where no one is disadvantaged by a teacher that marks "hard". If it did matter, then surely you would choose the high school with the easiest markers...

jet

Banned
HSC
It won't. All the marking imbalances between schools and teachers are unified within the scaling process, to the point where no one is disadvantaged by a teacher that marks "hard". If it did matter, then surely you would choose the high school with the easiest markers...
In actuality, it isn't really scaling. Rather they moderate marks. The assessments you do at school only establish ranks, so the mark really isn't important.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
In actuality, it isn't really scaling. Rather they moderate marks. The assessments you do at school only establish ranks, so the mark really isn't important.
They establish ranks and relative gaps.

The moderation process then uses these ranks and relative gaps to award the actual internal marks based on the range and total number of marks earned by the cohort at the HSC.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I would much rather be getting marked really hard or overmarked as I will call it. Then you will still try and aim for the 100% while you may not get there but in the HSC the marking will be less intense and you probably can get that nice 100

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I would much rather be getting marked really hard or overmarked as I will call it. Then you will still try and aim for the 100% while you may not get there but in the HSC the marking will be less intense and you probably can get that nice 100
This, although the english teachers at my school only mark slightly harder than HSC standard ^^

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
i got to a school ranked around 100. Advanced English is marked extremely hard at my school and there are about 80 kids doing advanced english. Only about 3 will receive over 90% in each assessment.
I have a mate who goes to a school where around 15 out of 80 kids will get around 95%. I looked at my friends essay (who got 95%), and if he was at my school he would of received low 80%. I know assessment marks are moderated but i still reckon its unfair
show us an above average essay from your school please :)

come to think of it, which school is it :S

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Lol I don't think you understand what moderation is (directed @ emu).
The marks that you get at school isn't used in your ATAR directly, they completely change it based on you and your school's performance in the HSC, based on your rankings and gap between marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)