Industrial Production of Ethanol from Sugar Cane (1 Viewer)

bored of sc

HSC
Does any know relevant chemical equations for the distillation and dehydration of ethanol after it is produced by the fermentation of glucose?

yorkstanham

HSC
bored of sc said:
Does any know relevant chemical equations for the distillation and dehydration of ethanol after it is produced by the fermentation of glucose?
look in your text book, it should all be there

bored of sc

HSC
yorkstanham said:
look in your text book, it should all be there
I've checked thoroughly and unfortunately there's minimal information on it. Thanks for the reply though. So do you know the equations? Cheers.

Starlette

HSC
There's no equation for the distillation of ethanol from fermentation as distillation is not a chemical reaction just a separation technique.

The dehydration equation however is:
C2H5OH(g) ---> C2H4(g) + H20(g) , heated to 350 degrees and pouring the ethanol vapours over a concentrated sulfuric acid (H2SO4) catalyst to remove the water. Concentrated sulfuric acid is a dehydrating agent.

bored of sc

HSC
Starlette said:
There's no equation for the distillation of ethanol from fermentation as distillation is not a chemical reaction just a separation technique.

The dehydration equation however is:
C2H5OH(g) ---> C2H4(g) + H20(g) , heated to 350 degrees and pouring the ethanol vapours over a concentrated sulfuric acid (H2SO4) catalyst to remove the water. Concentrated sulfuric acid is a dehydrating agent.
Thanks for that. Thanks particularly for pointing out the fact that it's a physical process. That helps alot.

As for dehydration, I'm actually looking for the dehydration of ethanol but the process in which the product is still ethanol i.e. removing further water from the solution of ethanol and water. I'm guessing could just be a physical process again so no chemical equation is required (available).

Cheers again for that.

gurmies

Drover
HSC
I think there is actually an equation for it, in that it is not physical. Quite sure there is a sulfuric acid catalyst used?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
bored of sc said:
Thanks for that. Thanks particularly for pointing out the fact that it's a physical process. That helps alot.

As for dehydration, I'm actually looking for the dehydration of ethanol but the process in which the product is still ethanol i.e. removing further water from the solution of ethanol and water. I'm guessing could just be a physical process again so no chemical equation is required (available).

Cheers again for that.
Technically, you're not "dehydrating" ethanol if you still get ethanol before and after the reaction. Dehydrating is converting the ethanol to ethylene. If you're just removing water, that's just evaporation or distillation (a physical not chemical process) which is just trivially written in the equation form like:
C2H5OH (aq.) + H2O (l) --> C2H5OH (l) + H2O (g)
The actual dehydration reaction where ethanol undergoes chemical change is the one stated by Starlette.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)