• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Improving my vocabulary for Creative Writing (1 Viewer)

Arucerious

HSC
^title, so after I tried writing a few practice creative writing pieces, I found that I have an image of the scenary in my head but lack the vocabulary to describe the image. I find it difficult to find the right word for certain objects, for example names of specific hat types, describing a scenary. What can I do to improve my vocabulary so I can write better?

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
When writing creatives at home, i use a theasurus, because there are so many similar words that can be used in the same context, but each will make their own tone and effect, so i like to look at all the options and select the best one.
Then, to remember and be able to use this word later in my vocabulary, I use memory techniques to try and remember it.
for example: think of a route that walk by almost everyday, and you know it really well. For example, you can remember where the garbage bin is when you walk by.
then, find your word that you want to remember, and think of a ridiculous image that comes to your mind when you think of it, and its meaning. For example: abhor - i think of a boar with abs, that is really angry and disgusted (the meaning of abhor is to regard with with disgust).
then assign this image onto your walk, so that whenever you go through it in your head, or physically, you can think of it and remember the word and its meaning.
i hope that makes sense!

when you write essays though, i would not suggest using a thesaurus. It is obvious and looks bad

Flop21

HSC
Read a few good, descriptive and well written books.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
I feel your pain bruh I even struggle with words used in day to day conversation LOL

Since you still have time for your hsc next year, literally what you should do is read lots of SHORT stories. You can find several online and there are also some short stories written by past students which got b6 in their hsc which you can find in your school library if they have it. What you should then do is peruse the short story by highlighting words you dont know and making a word bank where you add to it everytime you do this (find out what the word means in a dictionary). Then also underline cool phrases which you might find like "beads of perspiration formed on her forehead as she blah blah blah" you get wat im saying. Add this to a list as well. Then practice writing stories with your word bank and phrase list next to you and as you do this you'll get better at writing creative stories.

At the moment reading story books will not really help because you don't have that much time. Doing what I suggested will be quick and effieicnt and you can revise it weekly so that by hsc you'll have a big list and you might not even need to refer to it then because you'll be more confident anyway.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Pay attention to life. That's the key to writing. You don't need big fancy words if you've got the details down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)