Important advice for all those considering studying engineering next yr (1 Viewer)

HSC
Civil Engineering, here i come :D

This thread has made me laughed quite a lot, if only i could give out more rep!

ok look
the point of this thread was simply just to 'warn' ppl that engineering may be a bad choice if you're someone like me who blindly accepted the offer and had no idea what was behind that and what courses do u have to study.
plus, i felt like sharing my experiences as i thought it may be a good idea to get an insight from a first yr's.

now for all you ppl trying to prove me wrong or point the finger at me for 'scaring' u, i'm not FORCING ppl to not choose to study it, all i want is everyone to understand how stupid mistakes can lead to long-term regrets and consequences.

if u are aware of what to study and are absolutely sure u are interested in doing this, then by all means go ahead.
just so long as u dont make a regret, then that's great.
but never, ever, judge a eng degree by its attractive activites/reputation/career prospects. cos believe me guys, its just not true.

so for those of u who do understand my mistakes and what point i'm trying to make, thanks alot and i appreciate the support.
but those u think i'm an idiot (and yes i admit that i am for taking this degree) who's just here to discourage everyone else, and saying that i'm not good or smart enough for it, then just do me a favor and leave the thread so no debates shall arise.

Ben1220

HSC
Why is engineering disliked so much in this country? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

In other countries it is liked as much as say medicine. In America so many engineers get great jobs every year.

In Australia, people rate simple arts degrees or say BEd better than engineering. Even law, commerce and even fashion designing etc are in demand. But enginnering courses that really involve mathematical brains is so much under-rated. No wonder our Australia is not actually a clever country but a rich country. Clever migrants come here and use their brains to fill up jobs requiring intellect.

Probably all those who actually love maths don't even go for engineering as they end up doing medicine or law (how weird). All they want is a job that gives more money. If Engineers start making as much money as doctors do, then all high UAI people will start going there.

That also means most people who do get admission into engineering courses (at least the ones requiring a UAI or 85 or less), are actually not so bright in maths and physics so they find it hard to cope up with. Engineering syllabus is meant for bright students but is often opted for by average students.

So.....are there students out there who got say top 99 plus UAI last year and the went for some engineering course? There are some engo courses requiring 99 or 98 or 95 ATAR. If so, please share your experiences as probably you are the ones who don't feel miserable for you love maths and physics for the love of it.

First of all I'm at Melbourne, so I don't know about average students taking courses requiring less than 85 because everything at Melbourne requires at least 85, also I should just say on the record that I'm a Science student, not an engineering student but...

Yes you are correct that if you payed engineers more then the number of good students taking it and hence the enter required/quality of engineers would go up, but this isn't necessary. The current engineering graduates can do their jobs fine, and Engineers get payed fairly well for just a bachelors degree. If there was a shortage of engineers, then maybe you could start thinking about that, but salaries are fine now. Medicine students usually need to take a much longer degree, often involving postgraduate work, followed by an internship before they can really start their career.

I disagree that students who love maths would do medicine or commerce. I think students that truely loved maths would be studying maths, as opposed to the students who just worked extremely hard and did well at maths in highschool to get into medicine or law.

I agree that engineering requires above average intelligence, and requires a good ability with maths and physics, but I haven't seen many problems with people incapable of doing the maths or the physics. If they are failing its because they aren't working hard enough.

Don't get me wrong, i find uni a shitload harder than than the HSC, but i i think its much more interesting so it strikes a good balance. Apparently you haven't had the same experience, such a shame. I hope things get better for you when you transfer.
Yes I agree! I went from a good high school student to a great uni student, (high distinction for most assesment) Uni just suits my personality and learning style much more then school did, I feel much more that I own my own knowledge. But many people find the reverse is true. Thats pretty interesting. Obviously the OP is someone who isn't as fond of uni, or at least the course they picked.

Also, Uni isn't for everyone, at least a proper rigorous course isn't for everyone, despite what the politicians say. The historical average IQ for university students has been 115, or around the 85th percentile, and you do actually need to be fairly bright to really benifit from university. Of course in Australia this would be considered elitist, but I can't see people with average intelligence doing well at university until there is a massive cultural change and Australians grow up in a society that respects academia, knowledge, critical thinking and science to a greater extent then it respects the ability to kick a ball between a few sticks. This just isn't going to happen any time soon.

I think a big problem is a misconception high school students have for what uni is like. People are told that uni is alot easier then year 12, and I'll say now, it can feel easier, but it isn't easier. In a years time you will look back to your old year 12 maths textbooks and laugh. But your abilities grow at the same rate, if not faster then the difficulty of the work you do, so it doesn't feel so increadibly harder, when in fact it is.

hotdimsim

HSC
even though the OP's point seems pretty basic and obvious, its a decent point to make. At the end of first year heaps of my class mates are like "zomg this is actually pretty difficult etc"
I was talking to a guy who was thinking of transferring to melbourne uni to do arts cus he has no idea what he wants to do now that he hates engineering (he apparently didnt bother researching any degrees he might be interested in) His teacher in year 12 had mentioned how civil eng was suffering from massive shortages, lots of jobs etc etc so he applied and now hates it.

HSC
N/A
i got 95.65 and opted for eng.
lol did you fuck up your preferences by accident or something?

my parents were like "dw try your best, if you do shit, you can always fall back on engineering!" something along those lines in Korean.

they were amazed all you need is 85 for engineering in australia. I think this is low requirement is a reflection on the average career prospects?:drink:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

my parents were like "dw try your best, if you do shit, you can always fall back on engineering!" something along those lines in Korean.

they were amazed all you need is 85 for engineering in australia. I think this is low requirement is a reflection on the average career prospects?:drink:
nah didn't fuck it up, just wanted to do engineering cause everything else seemed shit/boring. commerce/law etc. are for losers.

and lol, low cut off si simply supply and demand. half the people that get into engineering don't finish it.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
realistically, from my first year experience- those who drop out in first year are weak. its not engineering that's hard, theyre just blody weak

HSC
N/A
serious question: are you uncle's troll? or is it common among engineering students to have a 'harden the fuck up' type mentality embedded into them?

00iCon

HSC

Engineering has such low entry becaus there's so many specific couses but mostly because of massive international demand.
Don't diss my subject.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
serious question: are you uncle's troll? or is it common among engineering students to have a 'harden the fuck up' type mentality embedded into them?
no - i'm not uncles troll.

i joined before him lol

those that can handle engineering pretty much laugh at every other degree. weaklings that have no idea about 'hard work'.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
realistically, from my first year experience- those who drop out in first year are weak. its not engineering that's hard, theyre just blody weak
+1

All of my friends who fail multiple units multiple times drink all the time and don't bother attending class or studying.

those that can handle engineering pretty much laugh at every other degree. weaklings that have no idea about 'hard work'.
Medicine, Actuarial, HXC Medical Sciences, Law @ ANU > Engineering

they were amazed all you need is 85 for engineering in australia. I think this is low requirement is a reflection on the average career prospects?
Wait so they were amazed that you require 85 as your fall back course? I think Commerce is 97 to reflect the amount of koreans who can't get into starcraft school.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
whats HXC? i rekcon physio would be harder than engo too? but i havnt dont engo but. so much crap is thrown at you that you need to simply know remember, but i rekon i could handle the maths in engo which is supposed to be hard cos its logical not just remembering what this does how etc

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
whats HXC? i rekcon physio would be harder than engo too? but i havnt dont engo but. so much crap is thrown at you that you need to simply know remember, but i rekon i could handle the maths in engo which is supposed to be hard cos its logical not just remembering what this does how etc
Immunology I've heard is - looking at the stuff my girlfriend does (biomedicine) there is way too much shit to remember.

Physics would be pretty hard too depending on the specific topics - you could say mathematics is hard though there are topics like set theory which are (apparently) quite easy.

cjtk

HSC
N/A
good luck with your exam and study in the future, btw which engineering did you choose?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)