Important advice for all those considering studying engineering next yr (1 Viewer)

hollaholla

HSC
Dude, just cuz you made a shithouse decision about your future doesn't mean you should go around scaring people, i have friends that take engineering at UNSW and they love it, yeah its a lot of work but they love it. It's pretty clear you don't and thats probably why you hate uni so much.
Hes not really scaring people you know ..people can choose to believe what they want to. Hes just stating his experiences which some people might take as a warning of whats to come ahead.

Thank you procrastinator.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I personally think statements like that would rattle prospective engineering students.

Sultun

Banned
HSC
N/A
Ok if you planning on doing Engineering you must fit the following criteria;
-Own only 1 pair of shoes; must be oldish New Balance runners
-Shower less than or equal to 2 times a week
-Put your face right up agianst the textbook whenever contemplating a question
-Must wear exclusively Billabong/Ripcurl/other shit-bogan clothing
-Must be a sympathizer with social darwinism and other creepy social engineering polices (see 'Uncle' for example of this).

chrisrules

HSC
Ok if you planning on doing Engineering you must fit the following criteria;
-Own only 1 pair of shoes; must be oldish New Balance runners
-Shower less than or equal to 2 times a week
-Put your face right up agianst the textbook whenever contemplating a question
-Must wear exclusively Billabong/Ripcurl/other shit-bogan clothing
-Must be a sympathizer with social darwinism and other creepy social engineering polices (see 'Uncle' for example of this).

You know Engineering is great when people take such extreme lengths to discourage people from doing it

I'm definitely doing it next year :uhhuh:

Sultun

Banned
HSC
N/A
You know Engineering is great when people take such extreme lengths to discourage people from doing it

I'm definitely doing it next year :uhhuh:
?extreme lengths? That would entail posting picks of the 'Engineering Society'..

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
I have the utmost respect for engineering kids and if I were more mathematically and scientifically inclined, I'd be one of them too.

Speaking of this thread however, I want Omie Jay's opinion here.

Sultun

Banned
HSC
N/A
LOL

can you
I am sorry I have taken a vow agianst ever taking such abhorrent action. But If you can imagine a cess pool, now submerge your self with Satan into this swamp of death and fieces now submerge the bodies of a thousand dead...the 'Engineering Soceity' is truly Dante's 10th Circle of Hell.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
If I was just thinking of doing Engineering, I'd be put off and very likely change my decision about the whole thing by this thread.

But I'm whole heartedly dedicated towards Computer Science (and I still don't understand why it's under the faculty of Engineering)
Yayers

hollaholla

HSC
If I was just thinking of doing Engineering, I'd be put off and very likely change my decision about the whole thing by this thread.

But I'm whole heartedly dedicated towards Computer Science (and I still don't understand why it's under the faculty of Engineering)
Yayers
Trust me , if you were deeply intent on doing engineering...you would certainly not be put off by a single souls "rant" thread. Thats just silly seriously.. "Aw look ...thread on this guy hating it...crap engineering...what now? ".

smasherX21

HSC

Yayers
enjoy your useless degree

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
on a side note, dont think finishing and acing the hsc is gonna be the end of all your problems and solve your future, cos uni is just as horrible and fkn stressful as much as hsc, depending on your attitude.
So much for the light at the end of the tunnel.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Trust me , if you were deeply intent on doing engineering...you would certainly not be put off by a single souls "rant" thread. Thats just silly seriously.. "Aw look ...thread on this guy hating it...crap engineering...what now? ".
Yeah but how many people really, intently know what they want to do after the HSC? Most don't, they pick uni courses cuz they think (and hope) they will like them but tbh you can't really know until your there doing it, subjects at uni are often crazily different from what people expect. So when you hear actual personal experience like that, i imagine it would be hard not to get nervous and put off. I'm not saying people would change their preferences or anything, but you can't say that someone with zero idea about university wouldn't even be a little worried if they read that and were planning on doing engineering.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Some people don't put enough effort into researching what they want to do at uni. I know people that have changed degrees 2 or 3 times and they're in second year. I have plently of mates that think engineering looks easy and fun, but they don't have clue about what you actually learn. Maybe that should be the warning, choose carefully.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Some people don't put enough effort into researching what they want to do at uni. I know people that have changed degrees 2 or 3 times and they're in second year. I have plently of mates that think engineering looks easy and fun, but they don't have clue about what you actually learn. Maybe that should be the warning, choose carefully.

I agree its good to do plenty of research on your chosen degree but sometimes even if you do things just aren't the same, english at highschool for example, is taught completely different from english at uni and people who loved it at highschool just end up just hating it at uni, it's not their fault really, it's just the way it is.

HSC
i just logged in and find that 54 replies has jumped to 75, wth??

yeah, sorry i didnt really plan this thread to start a long ranting convo, ppl debating about my degree.
but i cbf replying to everyone, so yeah i'll just leave this for you guys to carry on.

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
Man, ive been calling up the unis and stuff getting heaps of info, talking to people and am real keen to do civil.

After reading this i feel like crap =(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)