IMMENSELY confused about the exam question for Representation and Text (1 Viewer)

Therewego

HSC
Sorry for my ignorance/stupidity, but I just don't get this unit.

So my class is doing history and memory as an elective, and thats all well and good, but what is this about events, situations or personalities?

Does this mean I should pick one event, say the obvious one the holocaust for eg, and base my essay upon this ONE event? as in discuss the 50th Gate and related texts based off of this one event, personality or situation I myself have chosen?

My teacher hasn't been very clear on this, and the trials are looming, so any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

bored of sc

HSC
Your related texts do NOT need to have the same events, situations and personalities as those in your prescribed text, but they can.

We're doing the Smithsonian website September 11 - Bearing Witness to History as our prescribed text. For my related texts I plan to do a television series/cartoon and a song/film clip, both of which have nothing to do with 911.

Therewego

HSC
Thanks for the reply, there's just something I'm not clear on,

In my response, would I have to base it around that one event, personality or situation?

I know you said the related texts do not need to but I'm referring to the essay in general (Sorry I'm pretty confused).

Or is it more just something you don't specifically refer to/base your essay upon? As in representation and text/History and Memory in relation to 50th gate being the focus?

For eg I guess what I'm asking is would it be more of;

a) In The 50th Gate, Mark Baker represents the Situation of oppression and genocide through his parents memories. In the same token, Schindler's List represents this situation through johnson's oppression of...etc etc...
or;
b) In the 50th Gate, Mark Baker represents the exploration of memory through a range of situations, events and personalities. Schindler's List is similarly expansive in its exploration of memory....

Sorry if its a stupid question,
Thanks again

bored of sc

HSC
In my response, would I have to base it around that one event, personality or situation?

I know you said the related texts do not need to but I'm referring to the essay in general (Sorry I'm pretty confused).

Or is it more just something you don't specifically refer to/base your essay upon? As in representation and text/History and Memory in relation to 50th gate being the focus?

For eg I guess what I'm asking is would it be more of;

a) In The 50th Gate, Mark Baker represents the Situation of oppression and genocide through his parents memories. In the same token, Schindler's List represents this situation through johnson's oppression of...etc etc...
or;
b) In the 50th Gate, Mark Baker represents the exploration of memory through a range of situations, events and personalities. Schindler's List is similarly expansive in its exploration of memory....

Sorry if its a stupid question,
Thanks again
You can do it whichever way you please I guess. That's the beauty of English. Both seem logical, choose whichever way feels the most comfortable. Personally I'm more of a concept person - I go for a line of argument/thesis and use the texts to support the ideas I present. I.e. text 1 uses techniques A, B, C to show concepts X and Y while text 2 uses techniques D, E, F to reflect the concept of X but oppose the concept Y etc.

If you get my drift.

P.S I'm not the right person to ask about this. I'm just assuming you can deal with the module however you please.

DannyT

HSC
excuse the ignorance lol but is it true that both of your related texts CAN'T both be on the Holocaust?

Enigmanation

HSC
Untrue. Your related texts can apply to any situation in history you choose.

DannyT

HSC
My teacher said something along the lines of that. Maybe it only applies to my school's trials. Anyway I got a Holocaust and non-Holocaust text now so it's all good.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Fairly stupid if you're not allowed to have two texts showing CP of a particular event.=\

DannyT

HSC
I think that they just want diversity so that they won't be bombarded with the same stuff over and over when marking it. No biggie though just a really boring topic to study...

bric

HSC
hey guys can someone answer this for me?

I'm thinking of using a newspaper article as one of my related texts for history and memory but I'm not sure whether it's the right medium to use?

Haven't really got much info from our teacher about what's best to use but i think i can relate the article well to this stupid topic

much appreciated

bric

HSC
thanks heaps just wat i needed to hear :) haha

0hNivlek

HSC
I'm using articles about the Tiananmen Square Massacre. We just started this module at school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)