Imaginative journey related texts (1 Viewer)

prinzess_emmy

Hey.. im doing imaginative journeys for my area of study and one of the related texts i chose was the film "Fight Club". However, my english teacher (without ever seeing the film) advised me to pick something else because he couldnt see the 'journey' in the film. Also, he suggested "The Wizard of Oz" but I have heard a lot of students do this sort of film, but not very well. Perhaps because it is typically a 'childs' film. I was wondering if any of you guys could give me some advice as to what you think and give some suggestions as to what related texts I could use. Thanks.. emma.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I used the wizard of oz (the film) as my text for my journeys assessment (as the ONLY text) and I got 15/15 at a selective school. it is typically seen as a children's text, but if you approach it in an adult way, there's no reason you can't go well using it.

Lexi

HSC
N/A
I chose the speech I Have A Dream for mine ... 40/40. It's basically just how to approach and discuss the text that matters, not what it actually is ... A friend of mine did the Neverending story, and that's a kids movie too.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by prinzess_emmy
Hey.. im doing imaginative journeys for my area of study and one of the related texts i chose was the film "Fight Club". However, my english teacher (without ever seeing the film) advised me to pick something else because he couldnt see the 'journey' in the film. Also, he suggested "The Wizard of Oz" but I have heard a lot of students do this sort of film, but not very well. Perhaps because it is typically a 'childs' film. I was wondering if any of you guys could give me some advice as to what you think and give some suggestions as to what related texts I could use. Thanks.. emma.
tell your teacher to look at my post:

and tell your teacher s/he is a complete fuckwit if they cant see the journey in that film, and rather should go and teach kindergarten

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kimmeh
oh yeah.. theyre so going to get good marks with that comment :rolleyes:

lol thats why i said tell them to look at my comment :) and contact me and ill explain to them how the journey unfolds...but seriously if you did not see a journey in that movie how in the world can you call yourself a teacher ?

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
Make it wide-ranged

Hey ppl! I just discovered that all those related material that's been posted up are all films, books and poetry/songs. What about comics and such visuals? I desperately need some. You've been great anyway.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
I'm sure theres plenty of comics:
+peanuts
+garfield
+archie
+marvel comics
+anime
Theres bound to be heaps of them online :)
Other visuals? I'd say paintings, tv advertisments, movie trailers, websites and banners/bilboards just to name a few

izi

HSC
go with shakespeare

My teacher said the BEST related texts for imaginative journey's if ur set text is "The tempest" is another Shakesperean text or a poem (John Keats for example), because it is strongest material u can get and the hardest to do. because there is a lack of students around the state who do another shakespeare play or a poem as a related text, you have the best chance of getting up there in the top with the best marks. ;)

dragon eyes

HSC
hi there,
the wizard of oz is a good idea, but like you said every one uses it. if you're having trouble with supp. texts just have a look around at other movies like the wizard of oz or maybe use the songs from the movie. you could have a look at the movie Spirited away which is like the wizard of oz. you can laso use different songs like Yellow Submarine or Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

zpvh

HSC
Hey i have just been given my final english assessment task for year 12 and i need to find a supplementary text i was thinking of doing the wizard of oz but i cant really find much information on how it relates to an imaginative journey. please help

ohttam

HSC
zpvh said:
Hey i have just been given my final english assessment task for year 12 and i need to find a supplementary text i was thinking of doing the wizard of oz but i cant really find much information on how it relates to an imaginative journey. please help
well to start with, the movie begins in black and white ? sepia..whatever its called..dont think b/w though..but yeah..then she enters the land of oz, where the movie then turns into colour...also, think of the song she sings..'somewhere over the rainbow ... ' etc..an imaginative journey to that place 'over the rainbow'..just to start u off

infinity111

Infinity Sinner
HSC
Both good points [sepia imagery at beginning and then the reference to the song], here are some quick others:

- the characters are exceedingly imaginary...a talking scarecrow, lion and tinman, a wicked witch of the west, a good witch of the north, the violent talking trees who throw apples at people [lol] and those ugly little winged gremlins... nothing realistic about any of these characters _ do NOT mention the spastic dog Toto, there is nothing imaginative about him and i have heard a fair few people missed out on marks for naming him as one of the imaginary characters, because the markers think the person did not research the source correctly or thoroughly enough...stupid, i know!

- the obstacles and the ways that they are faced show a sign of imagination; for example: the wicked witch summons a paddock full of flowers with sleeping powder, the sudden appearances out of no-where by the witch, dorothy, the tinman, lion and scarecrows narrow escapes within the castle which is heavily guarded and then, of course, the "melting" of the witch due to the splash of water

- the composed sing-song characteristics that are evident every half-and-hour of so within the movie; the songs represent emotion, for example: "somewhere over the rainbow" represents hope and longing, "Off To See The Wizard" represents hope, happiness and excitement and "If I Were King Of The Jungle" represents excitement, optimism and courage/bravery.

- the fact that when dorothy wakes up, everything is back in the sepia colour [sepia, in case you're confused, is the brownish colouring of images instead of having it in black and white_less "old school" lol] showing her return from the dream/fantasy land back into reality

there are many more ideas which can be put into your final answer, a good website which has ALOT of information about "The Wizard Of Oz" is http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/hills/6396/ozfromaz.htm, check it out it's pretty detailed and analytical

Infinity111

dona adikari

HSC
I'm thinking of using Harry Potter 1 as one of my related texts for imaginative journeys. I've found some critical essays about it but has anyone done this text before or got any comments about using it.

paranormalgeek

HSC
hi im also doing the wizard of oz as my related text, but i was wondering what u ment by looking at it in an adult way..could u plz help me??:)

ma bad

HSC
Re: Make it wide-ranged

hay i was just wondering what supplementar material you did find such as peoms n stuff to relate to the tempest becoz im completely stuffed and cant find any that i understand

HSC
dona adikari said:
I'm thinking of using Harry Potter 1 as one of my related texts for imaginative journeys. I've found some critical essays about it but has anyone done this text before or got any comments about using it.
Harry Potter is quite a common one, so make sure you do it really well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)