• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

I'm wondering if I've made a mistake. (1 Viewer)

Jamian.V

Red Ranger
HSC
Everyone I know so far is doing some sort of science. I am not. I am trying to achieve a high enough ATAR to be able to do commerce law in uni and the subjects I've chosen for Year 11 are:
Maths Ext
Eng Adv and Eng Ext
Business Studies
Legal Studies
Drama

Should I have chosen a science like everyone else?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Not if you don't like science.

There's no point in doing science if your going for Comm/Law. It won't give you any skills necessary for the job. Every one of those subjects is perfectly fine in getting you an ATAR high enough.

Last edited:

Pyrobooby

HSC
You could always try it and drop it too. My case was similar to yours; everyone was doing a humanity so I thought I might do business studies. Big mistake IMO.

nathanf

HSC
Not to contradict the above post, but its best not to pickup any subjects you're likely to do only because of half-assed assumptions. You will probably just lower your marks and waste time you could've spent on subjects you prefer. If you have a natural talent for Biology, Chemistry or Physics, definately do one it, you may come to love it, especially if it raises your marks. Otherwise don't do it. I do no Maths or Science subjects, only the social science subjects. I don't care as long as I enjoy my subjects and can study properly for them with minimal frustration.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Only do subjects that you would enjoy, there's no point picking a science if you hate science.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Your subjects are pretty mixed, you're doing Ext Eng and Ext Maths so those subjects are your main strengths/take up most of your time. Your other subjects are good if you like them. I assume you like legal studies because you want to do comm/law, but I'm surprised you picked business studies instead of say economics. Drama is a great subject to do if you like it.

deterministic

HSC
Doing HSC subjects doesn't give you any skills required for uni, it only provides a method of getting into uni. Hence choose subjects in order to maximise ATAR, which are probably subjects you enjoy.

HSC
Uni Grad
Everyone I know so far is doing some sort of science. I am not. I am trying to achieve a high enough ATAR to be able to do commerce law in uni and the subjects I've chosen for Year 11 are:
Maths Ext
Eng Adv and Eng Ext
Business Studies
Legal Studies
Drama

Should I have chosen a science like everyone else?
Don't bother if you don't like science and maybe if you don't need it.
Besides, you can always take a bridging course for the sciences after high school
and if not they repeat the year 11/12 course over again anyway :p

you have a good selection of subjects there too =D

Bored Of Fail

Banned
HSC
N/A
you can always take a bridging course for the sciences after high school
dont think of your hsc like this.

for starters bridging course are in your hollidays, secondly they cost extra money when doing them in the hsc is free, and thirdly you are not going to feel like doing them at uni, and finally everything at uni goes a fair bit faster.

Its like someone doing general maths and then saying " ahh.. ill just do a bridging course for 2unit maths to get into commerce " , they smash you through the material, its a bit late to be catching up on stuff and you learn no where near as much as you would if you actually did the hsc. They are trying to cram 2yrs into like 5wks ( dont quote me on this length, I think i have heard 3wks somewhere ) and then they give you a test right after the 3wks and you have to pass ( however, lucky a pass is considered 50%)

Last edited:

Villa94

HSC
No if you dont like it or need it then there is no point in doing it.

Just stick with what you like.

janchanisek

Durian
HSC
It really depends on your personal circumstances and, as a number of people have discussed above, if you're good at particular subjects. I didn't really like sciences but i was ok at them and like you, i wanted to get into law, so i ended up doing phys, chem and 4u maths... and i reckon had i done humanities subjects i wouldnt have had the uai to get into usyd law..

Jamian.V

Red Ranger
HSC
Thanks for all the info guys. Yeah, I'm not a big fan of science. Inf act, I hate it quite a bit, so I'll steer away from that. Thanks. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)