iLectures -- Getchya iLectures! (2 Viewers)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Marketing Spiel:
Are you an enthusiastic Macquarie student? Ever wished you could get an uneven advantage over other students in your studies? Frustrated that you're not given access to those other courses' content (despite not paying for them ;))? Perhaps you're bored during the huge christmas break? No Longer!

The Service:
A database allowing access to every unit offered on MQ's iLecture page. Looking for a unit? Simply browse the list, or type it into the request box [not yet implemented] FIRST, log into WebCT, than click Here to give it a go!

Rationale:
Last night I remembered that they clear the ilectures at the end of the year or semester, depending on the unit. I also remembered how forbodingly long the christmas holidays are, and how it'd be nice to be able to find some iLectures and get familiar with the content of some of the lectures -- maybe just a quick skim over the slides, or even up to listening to the lectures. So, I've written up iLectureNav -- it's quick and nasty, and (somewhat) inefficient, and completley lacks the cuteness of graphics and nice interfaces (maybe when I get round to reinstalling photoshop now that I've got my laptop back, that'll change)... but it works.

So, what is it?
Basically, it's an interface to a database, which links the URL of the ilectures pages to a course code, allowing you to search for the ilectures by course code, rather than just having access to the ones the uni wants you to. There's no easy way connecting course codes to URLs, and there's 200+ courses on the iLecture system. So, it's possible for you to add to the database yourself, for the benefit of anyone in the future who might be looking for a particular ilecture/course/whatever in the future.

There's a very rough help page explaining the functions; take a read over that if you're interested, as it explains roughly how things work. Essentially, it revolves around the 'Last' link (in the top frame), taking you to a place you can add to th databse, and the 'List' link (also in the top frame), taking you to a page which will list the contents of the current database and give you access to the future iLectures.

So, if you're interested, go to http://skittled.275mb.com/iLectureNav.php (note, it's free hosting, so it can be slow and sometimes goes down... anyone want to host it for us? ;)). If there are any problems or hiccups or bugs or whatever, PM me with them and I'll sort them out.

Also, if you add to the database, and get the course code wrong, please PM me what the incorrect course code was and I'll correct it. Please remember to login to WebCT first, or nothing'll work on this site.

Don't know if this'll be useful for anyone besides me, but I figured I'd make it available to everyone. Please, don't spread this widely -- I've only got so much bandwidth. Let me know if you want to link to it or give it out -- shouldn't be a problem, but please let me know.​

Last edited:

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
Thanks again, Steve.

Isn't Mike's list of units longer, though?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I think the idea is that you add them as you find them, because iLectures aren't in any particular order.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Pleasure Rob (didn't realise you had a new nickname till yesterday!)... "Mike's List?" Sorry, I must be out of touch... Possibly. MJ's got it -- but possibly because she's watched me put it together and talk about it. Am trying to make it possible to access any of the iLectures available from MQ... Does Mike's do the same thing? Could you possibly point me to it?

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
Skittled said:
Pleasure Rob (didn't realise you had a new nickname till yesterday!)... "Mike's List?" Sorry, I must be out of touch... Possibly. MJ's got it -- but possibly because she's watched me put it together and talk about it. Am trying to make it possible to access any of the iLectures available from MQ... Does Mike's do the same thing? Could you possibly point me to it?
Apparently he just sent you a list now:)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Correct. Just did... Must've been very bored! lol..
Well, It's there if you want it (with 250 of the courses, and more to be added I suppose in the near future, as it's simple to do)

Hmph. ;)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha, sorry :)

I swear i must've put skiltted or something when i was typing the PM out (was at 6:45am) rofl

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
brilliant!

i'll get stuck into them as soon as my exams finish!!!

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
wow how'de u get this?

u cud make a lot of money by limiting access to this to those who pay... hehe just a thought.

I'll have a looksy at it in more detail after my exams are over.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha, i think there might be the trivialities of macquarie or relevant people finding out about being charged for software which isnt freeware or GNU, that and skittled has a heart of gold :p

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
flyin' said:
Like buying textbooks before semester starts and reading through them. Right? ;)
damn right!

does anyone have textbooks/lecture notes/tute solutions/past papers for the following subjects:

accg310, accg950. law666 and/or mathfourhundredandfifty???

i'll pay any price, but has to be in good cond. i want to highlight the whole thing in my summer break.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
clairegirl said:
wow how'de u get this?
Made it myself, Anne. Realised some interesting things about the URLs back in first term of uni, and so now 2 years later thought I'd do something about it ;)... There's another list available from Mike (Asylum) that does the same thing that's been around for a while, but... yeah.

AsyLum said:
Haha, i think there might be the trivialities of macquarie or relevant people finding out about being charged for software which isnt freeware or GNU, that and skittled has a heart of gold :p
mm... I don't know, actually -- maybe you could offer it as a navigation service, but not offer the ilectures themselves as part of the service? Regardless, I wasn't going to. Thanks for the compliment dude -- won't tell you I already thought about its business application, though... ;)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha, it'd be pretty good to get a program which pulls several uni ones into one 'podcasting' ilecture program style, that'd be pretty good :) saves having to go into webct et all, which really shits me with its layout

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Wow! this is amazing. I don't go to maq but i'll be getting some psyc lectures preparing me for summer school. Thanks so much :)
I might also listen to the criminal law lectures, as I have a big interest in this.
I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Yes, is there any way to integrate, say, usyd lecture notes etc as well?

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
stazi said:
Yes, is there any way to integrate, say, usyd lecture notes etc as well?
Possibly, if we had an example of how their notes, etc, worked... Feel like giving me your password so I could work it out for all of us? ;)

...Apparently the crim law iLectures are rather bad, too, btw... From there, please be careful about downloading too much; I think the Uni's asking for trouble in that they've not restricted access in any way shape or form -- it is very traceable, though. Not to turn you away from it, just beware. :)

Last edited:

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
flyin' said:
It'll all be protected soon enough. Like old course notes. They were just being lazy in thinking students won't exploit it.
Fair enough. I'm sure they will, just don't want any problems!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
thanks skittled!!

that is a really good idea, i have been wanting to know how boring or good certain subjects will be

so what happens if we download? what is the problem with it? can the uni get us into trouble?

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
There we are. I'd say for the moment, until they password protect it (but I don't know that they'd have any way to detect that anyone other than MQ students might be using it... if they looked at the referrers (or, "referer", as it is in the web-world), they'd get the link of the page (http://skittled.275mb.com/iLectureNav.php), but beyond that, they'd get no further than an IP address of the person downloading it -- now way to do connect it to whether you're from the uni or not, let alone a specific MQ student.

Copyright-wise, I'd imagine it's currently as a public page: there're no passwords, if you had the links, you'd get to it. If they put a password on that, it might be different (I assume). From there, if you're a Macq student, I don't see it'd be a problem: worst case you're only meant to access the ones you're enrolled (and have paid for) in...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)